Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There is a free app you can get on Play Store, and probably Apple, called Plant Net. Take a photo of the leaves or flowers of a plant, shrub or tree and send it in and you get sent back the most likely name.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There is a free app you can get on Play Store, and probably Apple, called Plant Net. Take a photo of the leaves or flowers of a plant, shrub or tree and send it in and you get sent back the most likely name.

Colin.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Technology just sucks the fun out of EVERYTHING :annoyed:

Do you remember the Friday night pub game called 'who sang some obscure one off hit ?' It would go on from week to week when you met at the the pub and you'd asked all your mates and none of them knew either. Then, months later someone would proudly announce they had discovered the ridiculously obscure answer.

Things were so much simpler then :rolleyes:

I was going to say cherry, but [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] has probably hit it right on the button (and I suspect, using no technology whatsoever :thumbsup:)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The one they call Stat has moved - to the jungle.

View attachment 144467

The garden at Stat Towers is L-shaped.
The 'summer house' is on the apex of the L, hence trying to keep it in all the photos.

I've given myself a timescale of 5 minutes, in order to get it ready for the Chelsea Flower Show.

When I do finally start, my first question will be:-

How the f**k do I get rid of Wild Garlic.

F**kin wild garlic.

At least the summer house has gone.

IMG_20220411_074421_383~2.jpg

IMG_20220411_074441_770~2.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I love a good 'project', (obviously from a distance) :lolol:

I'm a bit annoyed I didn't take a couple of photos of it looking at it's very worst.
I only cleared it a couple of weeks ago so it was worse than the original photo, back in January.
Summer house went at the weekend.
Strimathon after Spurs this weekend.

Luckily you can't see round the corner, where all the debris got slung.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Mrs Zef has been busy in our front gaden . . . the back is awaiting commencement . .we're having some brick paving done.
[MENTION=435]Stat Brother[/MENTION] there's enough room for a bike shed/workshop down there . . . .

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
From the picture that doesn't look like wild garlic, which has broad leaves, but what I call white allium (I don't know its latin name). It's a complete pest and spreads vqry quickly. Strimming is a waste of time. The only way I can controll it and hopefully one day eradicate it is to dig up every bulb. Do not put them on the compost heap. Good luck.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From the picture that doesn't look like wild garlic, which has broad leaves, but what I call white allium (I don't know its latin name). It's a complete pest and spreads vqry quickly. Strimming is a waste of time. The only way I can controll it and hopefully one day eradicate it is to dig up every bulb. Do not put them on the compost heap. Good luck.

I got some arsekicking herbicide and followed the instructions :down:.
That broke down the leaves, turning them into mush when you look at the wrong.

I know they'll keep coming back, something like 5 years.

I'll eventually dig it but in the meantime I just want the short 'joy' of it being gone, no matter how superficially.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've got a story to tell, only stick with it if you want, I'm definitely not going to do him justice, but here goes.

I put the Summerhouse on Freecycle despite everyone saying it was pointless.
A fella got in touch a week ago.
I was out on Saturday but arranged for him to come and have a look, 'get in touch after, and we'll take it from there'.
I get home about 3ish.
Gate wide open, no doors on the summerhouse.
No sign of the fella, I've still not met.

A while later a car pulls up and out shuffles an 82 year old man who we affectionately call 'Blue'

images (6).jpeg
(Character from the film Old School)

Between us we dismantled the summer house.
Blue can't see too well but was waving a reciprocating saw around with gusto.
He had a story for every occasion.

Blue flat out refuses to be 82 years old.
"What else am I going to do watch TV - that turns your head to mush".

During Saturday we were talking about the general state of the garden.
He's back Sunday morning for the last bits, then offers to cut down the trees.

I laugh it off - I can't have an 82 year old lumberjack on my payroll!!

I get in from work on Tuesday and all the trees in my back garden have been cut down and piled high.
I get in from work on Wednesday and Blue is sat in the boot of his car waiting for me.

He'd stripped the trees and 'logged' the trunks.
He was waiting for me to load up his car jack into his car (amazingly I didn't ask - I tend not too with Blue).

(I did pop.round his house today with an envelope stuffed full of cash, but he was out)
Not a problem as Blue turned up earlier to say his mate wanted the logs and the pair of them will be back in the morning.

I've got a new friend and his name is Blue.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone who's actually seen the film (t'is ok, not great) won't be surprised to learn of my current earworm

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
I've got a story to tell, only stick with it if you want, I'm definitely not going to do him justice, but here goes.

I put the Summerhouse on Freecycle despite everyone saying it was pointless.
A fella got in touch a week ago.
I was out on Saturday but arranged for him to come and have a look, 'get in touch after, and we'll take it from there'.
I get home about 3ish.
Gate wide open, no doors on the summerhouse.
No sign of the fella, I've still not met.

A while later a car pulls up and out shuffles an 82 year old man who we affectionately call 'Blue'

View attachment 146924
(Character from the film Old School)

Between us we dismantled the summer house.
Blue can't see too well but was waving a reciprocating saw around with gusto.
He had a story for every occasion.

Blue flat out refuses to be 82 years old.
"What else am I going to do watch TV - that turns your head to mush".

During Saturday we were talking about the general state of the garden.
He's back Sunday morning for the last bits, then offers to cut down the trees.

I laugh it off - I can't have an 82 year old lumberjack on my payroll!!

I get in from work on Tuesday and all the trees in my back garden have been cut down and piled high.
I get in from work on Wednesday and Blue is sat in the boot of his car waiting for me.

He'd stripped the trees and 'logged' the trunks.
He was waiting for me to load up his car jack into his car (amazingly I didn't ask - I tend not too with Blue).

(I did pop.round his house today with an envelope stuffed full of cash, but he was out)
Not a problem as Blue turned up earlier to say his mate wanted the logs and the pair of them will be back in the morning.

I've got a new friend and his name is Blue.

Any photos of progress?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Any photos of progress?

Gonna do some more clearing today.
Hopefully that'll induce a 'final' photo for the time being, as I really need to get back to decorating.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jesus wept.

Blue turns up and over loads his car with logs.
For absolutely no reason he drove his car away across my front lawn.

I didn't ask why - I don't ask - but there really is no reason, no reason at all, for him to be even walking on the lawn, let alone drive across it.

Anyhoo Blue drove across a concrete meter marker and beached his car.
I didn't ask how he got his axle across the concrete.
One fella stopped to help and said 'you look familiar did you lock yourself out of your car ages ago'. :lolol:

While we were problem solving that, a lad came round a nearby roundabout and somehow put his car side on 2 wheeling towards us inching away from rolling it.

We managed to get Blue off the concrete before the police arrived!

Spent the rest of the morning rubber-necking.

Pics might not be forthcoming.
I long for the peace and quiet of North London.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here