Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm sorry I'm not going to suggest anything of use to you. Briggs and Stratton normally run relatively trouble free, so could be ignition coil/lead or a stuck float needle in the carb bowl or a couple of other things.
Was this the first cut of the year and how long was it running for before it stopped?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I'm sorry I'm not going to suggest anything of use to you. Briggs and Stratton normally run relatively trouble free, so could be ignition coil/lead or a stuck float needle in the carb bowl or a couple of other things.
Was this the first cut of the year and how long was it running for before it stopped?
Hi. It was running for about 45mins before it stopped. My repairman in Eastbourne just called me back and fortunately he's coming to collect it. He mentioned some possible causes that I think were the same as what you've said there. He suggested "tapping the carb with a spanner" might fix it but I'll let him do that... hopefully will be a happy ending to this soon and then I'll show you a picture of my nice stripy grass... :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hi. It was running for about 45mins before it stopped. My repairman in Eastbourne just called me back and fortunately he's coming to collect it. He mentioned some possible causes that I think were the same as what you've said there. He suggested "tapping the carb with a spanner" might fix it but I'll let him do that... hopefully will be a happy ending to this soon and then I'll show you a picture of my nice stripy grass... :)

Good of him....i had to have the carb cleaned on my Toro....ran it for a while at the start of the season ..no problem an then took it to a job and halfway through stopped....water in the carb! Quickly sorted

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I was going to ask the question of where can I get potting compost and growbags from as everything is shut but I can answer it myself now.
B&Q shops are running a click & collect service. You buy online, when your order is ready they email you and arrange a collection time, then you drive into their car-park and a member of staff will bring your order out to you.
Order before 4pm and you can collect after 1pm the next day. The shops are 'open' 8am-5pm.

Thought I'd share this with anyone who is planning on any gardening or d-i-y etc.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry to break in Mower-Talk.

As this threads here I'll give a bush update.

Closer investigation of said bush, next to the giant palm tree, showed that 3 of the 'trunk' branches were completely dead, to the point of defying gravity by remaining upright.

The little foliage came from 2 other slightly more solid branches, with minimal roots.
They were pulled out and dumped into the big hole Jnr had already dug.

It's been 3 or 4 days and the foliage is yet to die, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Sorry to break in Mower-Talk.

As this threads here I'll give a bush update.

Closer investigation of said bush, next to the giant palm tree, showed that 3 of the 'trunk' branches were completely dead, to the point of defying gravity by remaining upright.

The little foliage came from 2 other slightly more solid branches, with minimal roots.
They were pulled out and dumped into the big hole Jnr had already dug.

It's been 3 or 4 days and the foliage is yet to die, but I'm not holding out much hope.

Is this your Photinia? Can you post a photo (when it's light!), so we can have a closer look. Have you cut it down to 1m yet?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is this your Photinia? Can you post a photo (when it's light!), so we can have a closer look. Have you cut it down to 1m yet?

Yes
Yes
No.

The 2 main thick branches weren't much bigger than a metre anyway.
The remnants of the foliage is sprouting from the top, so I figured I'd leave it as that would be a good gauge as to whether a miracle has happened.

Oddly one of the two seemed to be a bit like a 'sucker' that would grow off a rose.
It was slightly away from the original root ball and growing as a dead straight pole.
That was the one with something that resembled a root.

Do Photinia's grow like that, almost a separate plant?

(sorry I'm sure I'm not making any sense whatsoever, this really isn't my thing)

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I was going to ask the question of where can I get potting compost and growbags from as everything is shut but I can answer it myself now.
B&Q shops are running a click & collect service. You buy online, when your order is ready they email you and arrange a collection time, then you drive into their car-park and a member of staff will bring your order out to you.
Order before 4pm and you can collect after 1pm the next day. The shops are 'open' 8am-5pm.

Thought I'd share this with anyone who is planning on any gardening or d-i-y etc.

I was thinking of doing the same - but is it an essential journey?

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Yes
Yes
No.

The 2 main thick branches weren't much bigger than a metre anyway.
The remnants of the foliage is sprouting from the top, so I figured I'd leave it as that would be a good gauge as to whether a miracle has happened.

Oddly one of the two seemed to be a bit like a 'sucker' that would grow off a rose.
It was slightly away from the original root ball and growing as a dead straight pole.
That was the one with something that resembled a root.

Do Photinia's grow like that, almost a separate plant?

(sorry I'm sure I'm not making any sense whatsoever, this really isn't my thing)

3 photos would be very useful.
The whole plant, quite close up, very close up.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Council maintained grass in Brighton and Hove isn't being cut at the moment for obvious reasons. I'm sure there will be people contacting the Parks' office to complain that their verges are a good six inches high!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I have just had a look in my shed and, having got a new mower last year, I have an old one of these

Lawnmower.JPG

But dirtier and more battered, but works perfectly.

And for the techies,

Trak 4000 electric lawn mower, with a 1700 Watt Powerdrive motor and a cutting width of 40cm. It has an adjustable cut heights range from 20mm to 70mm, and a large 50 litre grass box with an indicator to let you know when it’s full.

Now I know that compared to yours and Lamie's V8 turbo nutter ******* petrol machines, it's a bit Fiat Punto, but if you live in Brighton, you can gladly have it. (I'll even deliver, if it gets me out the house !)

Just cut my back lawn, which reminded me, I still have this going spare if anyone Brighton based wants it. Just PM me :thumbsup:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I would like to improve my lawn this year.

It is currently not too bad but has lots of weeds of many varieties. The area is approx. 300 square yards.

What are the best currently available options to remove all the weeds and also improve the grass?

Also on weedkilling, I’d like to finally do my side of the house terrace area discussed on the other GQT thread. Can I get online the right material to nuke everything growing there?

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I would like to improve my lawn this year.

It is currently not too bad but has lots of weeds of many varieties. The area is approx. 300 square yards.

What are the best currently available options to remove all the weeds and also improve the grass?

Also on weedkilling, I’d like to finally do my side of the house terrace area discussed on the other GQT thread. Can I get online the right material to nuke everything growing there?
Can I add moss removal to all of the above, for those that reply.

Oh and ants, I reckon I have an entire ant continent, under my lawn.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
My order of peonies is coming in from Thomson and Morgan this week - anyone got any tips? I have ordered six and they look rather large so not sure I actually have space. Will some be ok in pots?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here