Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The mower was serviced and "repaired" very recently so I don't think it needs cleaning.

What does "If it's dry fuel not getting to it?" mean...? I wish I knew more about how engines work as I'm desperate to cut my grass and don't want to fork out for a new mower...

Two days ago it cut most of the grass lovely.
It stopped and I thought it was out of fuel so I filled it up.
At that point it was firing on the pull and sounding very healthy but just not continuing to run.
Now today it is just pretty much dead when I pull the rope - apart from one very brief firing that quickly died.

Have you got a small ‘lever’ that runs from the fuel tank to the carburettor?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Have you got a small ‘lever’ that runs from the fuel tank to the carburettor?

I’m not sure. Have I ...?
46ee6dd6fdb8a429cbe44c173de19d1b.jpg

afb41b3daaf8c70a1990719d6f9ff3ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The red one looks like the petrol cut off lever...I’d wondered if you had moved it therefore starving it of fuel....how much of the lawn did u mow before it conked out?..have you tried moving it to a horizontal position?

Erm....your knower looks a tad rusty :)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The red one looks like the petrol cut off lever...I’d wondered if you had moved it therefore starving it of fuel....how much of the lawn did u mow before it conked out?..have you tried moving it to a horizontal position?

Very grateful for your thoughts. I am sorry to be something of a lost cause but am interested in whether a miracle could be pulled off and we could get it started again.

Do the symptoms I've described (i.e. even when not starting fully it was initially firing up but now it is much more dead) help at all with the diagnosis? If the problem was to do with fuel (not enough, too much, wrong type, etc) then would it not still do the initial firing up thing?

Mannakin

Jun 24, 2013
Hove (actually!)
Very grateful for your thoughts. I am sorry to be something of a lost cause but am interested in whether a miracle could be pulled off and we could get it started again.

Do the symptoms I've described (i.e. even when not starting fully it was initially firing up but now it is much more dead) help at all with the diagnosis? If the problem was to do with fuel (not enough, too much, wrong type, etc) then would it not still do the initial firing up thing?

Check the oil level. Too little oil will mean that the cylinder/piston lacks lubrication and is harder to move. So if it starts it might be too "tight" to keep running. Just don't overfill!

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

Actually, the red one looks like the oil. Moshe, can we have some more pictures please? From the air filter side

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Have you tried putting that lever level?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not a switch, a drain plug

Agreed and it generally isn’t there ..in my experience (ive had five of them)...but could be wrong!

Edit....i think your suggestion re more photos would help a lot.

OP you said it had been serviced and repaired recently..what needed repairing?

Also .....is there another lever that could be the fuel cut off ......plus what museum did you get it from? Lastly whereabouts are you?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As it's not a two stroke, there normally is an oil drain. I'm no expert, just a tinkerer so I could be wrong as well!

I agree there is a plug normally under and then the point where you fill it..which i guess could be the red ‘lever’ but it looks at too much of an angle....your more photos bit helps.

If hes local ..he could hire me for £1 :). And i could look at it briefly so not breaking the rules...mind you i normally stock behind the machine and let others sort out what goes wrong

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I have just had a look in my shed and, having got a new mower last year, I have an old one of these

$_86.JPG

But dirtier and more battered, but works perfectly.

And for the techies,

Trak 4000 electric lawn mower, with a 1700 Watt Powerdrive motor and a cutting width of 40cm. It has an adjustable cut heights range from 20mm to 70mm, and a large 50 litre grass box with an indicator to let you know when it’s full.

Now I know that compared to yours and Lamie's V8 turbo nutter ******* petrol machines, it's a bit Fiat Punto, but if you live in Brighton, you can gladly have it. (I'll even deliver, if it gets me out the house !)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
More photos. Video with red petrol switch set to level to follow
9e15568ff0e2b1274df517b1997faca7.jpg

696f7746eff1254d5d3d10e9edb80706.jpg

af410fd8e20bae503f0419861cf3133d.jpg

434eca8f858094f1f65a8209199c1cc7.jpg

3200f64008ec72229e3b7340bf7dcbe1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
BTW I’m in Eastbourne

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I have just had a look in my shed and, having got a new mower last year, I have an old one of these

View attachment 121637

But dirtier and more battered, but works perfectly.

And for the techies,

Trak 4000 electric lawn mower, with a 1700 Watt Powerdrive motor and a cutting width of 40cm. It has an adjustable cut heights range from 20mm to 70mm, and a large 50 litre grass box with an indicator to let you know when it’s full.

Now I know that compared to yours and Lamie's V8 turbo nutter ******* petrol machines, it's a bit Fiat Punto, but if you live in Brighton, you can gladly have it. (I'll even deliver, if it gets me out the house !)

Just one of my fleet

32EBE228-18A1-4DE1-B5F5-4B197E6E25D4.jpeg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Can’t get video to work but basically is of the mower not starting...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Sigh ...I would have finished off your lawn for a penny if you were not further than BRIGHTON at the same time I was working that way

What did you get repaired?

I’m not really sure what he repaired to be honest. He just got it working and sharpened the blades etc (oil seems to be topped up). I think he said my fuel was dirty.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here