Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Gardeners Question Time.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
It could be Bay, but also Portugese Laurel. Bay leaves aren't usually wavy around the edge, or particularly elongated.

My vote goes to Portuguese laurel.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
things starting to come through nicely. it’s taken a good few years to get this far, but at last i think things start to look pleasant
IMG_0894.jpeg
IMG_0904.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0897.jpeg
    IMG_0897.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0895.jpeg
    IMG_0895.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 22

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
things starting to come through nicely. it’s taken a good few years to get this far, but at last i think things start to look pleasant
View attachment 180513View attachment 180514

Fantasic. Did you do the hard landscaping and paver edging by your own hands? I love the edging, I’ve done a fair amount myself and it negates the need for ever having to tidy up lawn edges.

Is that an alternative to Box hedging?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Looks amazing, I really like the raised bed with the rocks

Your Acer Dissectum that looks like an Emerald Lace is so wide!!!!
the rock walls i built myself when we first moved in. ruddy heavy some of those. i didn’t have a clue what i was doing but as the say, you learn by doing.

the acer i bought out of Wilkos for 99p and was not much more than the size of a lolly stick

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Fantasic. Did you do the hard landscaping and paver edging by your own hands? I love the edging, I’ve done a fair amount myself and it negates the need for ever having to tidy up lawn edges.

Is that an alternative to Box hedging?
most hard landscape i’ve done myself but can’t take the credit for the brickwork edging, that’s well above my skill set.

No not an alternative, it’s box that i grew from cuttings 15 years ago.

I get huge pleasure out of making bits and bobs out of materials left lying around or sometimes recycled.

The bbq shelter was part built as a basic pergola. The sides are made out of left over conservatoray roofing tiles, and wood from an old pergola that used to cover a now gone koi pool.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
My friend's garden I built and look after. The two Acers in the foreground are Bloodgood and Sango Kaku which were there already, but had been "lollipopped" on a regular basis until we took over 5 years' ago and let them get on with it. There's also an Acer palmatum dissectum atropurpureum in the far right corner.
1713346107778.jpeg

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here