Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The English Game

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I would like to recommend a new series on Netflix. Written by Julian Fellowes it follows the earliest days of Football and its evolution from a Gentlemen’s game played by the Toffs as out and out amateurs, to the development of working class teams in the Mill Towns.

Binged watched first four episodes tonight

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I would like to recommend a new series on Netflix. Written by Julian Fellowes it follows the earliest days of Football and its evolution from a Gentlemen’s game played by the Toffs as out and out amateurs, to the development of working class teams in the Mill Towns.

Binged watched first four episodes tonight

On my list of things to watch. It's football and it's not a repeat. Be careful, though, you may be about to get into trouble for not posting on the "what's on Netflix" thread.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
I sat down to watch this on Sunday and informed the wife it was a drama based on football. After she rolled her eyes, I added that it was a period drama written by Julian Fellowes who wrote her beloved Downton Abbey. She (and I) ended up watching all 6 episodes. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Watched the first episode last night. Will definitely watch some more tonight.

The bunching of players in those days did make me laugh.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
It was a great series - Mrs D7 idea to watch it and she enjoyed it too, had to say disappointed by the lack of pre-match discussion and half time / after match analysis but have to admit I love the idea of the Old Etonians ‘pack formation’ it certainly beats 4-4-2 in my opinion

Camp Freddy

Sep 23, 2004
Wiltshire
Started watching this last night. So far so good. Coincidently, I have also started listening to Jonathan Wilson's 'Inverting the Pyramid' which is a history of football tactics. As a poster above has already said, it is interesting how the game has developed from its initial charge and run approach, and how this was interwoven with the class struggle at the time. Understanding better the history of the game seems to be emerging on my to do list during these strange times!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If you want cheering up this should be compulsory viewing, I almost laughed for the entire length of the sketch.

You do realise that actually means you didn't laugh at all? ???

Reminds me of Steve Bunce's on Fighting Talk proudly declaring his '30 years of almost unblemished heterosexuality'. :lolol: punk::thumbsup:

Carlos BC

May 10, 2019
Watched two episodes last night - missus looked very doubtful when I told her it was about football and I believe she was on the verge of suggesting I poke my suggestion up my arse. However she did indeed watch this and enjoyed it.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This reviewer wasn't so keen https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...julian-fellowes-football-drama-is-an-own-goal

It is about football. It is about the inflection point in the game when it went from being one codified and played by poshos to one that was dominated by and united the common man. It is Downton Abbey for boys. It is terrible.

The review was by Lucy Mangan - the woman who thought Chernobyl (one of the best TV programmes of the last decade) was terrible and liked the risible ABC Murders. When I saw her review, it made me want to watch it.

As I said in the other thread, it is a bit cliched and formulaic (and takes diabolical liberties with the facts) but it's pretty entertaining and near enough to the truth to be interesting

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
This reviewer wasn't so keen https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...julian-fellowes-football-drama-is-an-own-goal

It is about football. It is about the inflection point in the game when it went from being one codified and played by poshos to one that was dominated by and united the common man. It is Downton Abbey for boys. It is terrible.

Watched it today. It's ok, passes the time. Wasn't an awful lot of football in it, mind.

Watched the first one and it passed the time...no more than that. Based on the above don't think I'll watch the rest.

The review was by Lucy Mangan - the woman who thought Chernobyl (one of the best TV programmes of the last decade) was terrible and liked the risible ABC Murders. When I saw her review, it made me want to watch it.

Hmmmmm although Chernobyl was very good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here