Communism - a good thing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Will this turn out to be a good thing with high streets and shopping centres deserted? The simple things in life appreciated that bit more? People getting fitter? Greed eventually driven down? It's ironic that Russia seems to be about the only European country not under strict new rules at the moment.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Russia (now a nationalist dictatorship run by Putin, with rigged politics) - their situation was covered in detail on LBC yesterday. Due to Putin’s insecure obsession in trying to make the West look inferior so that Russia looks a bit stronger, no one should trust their COVID-19 data. They do not want the rest of the World to know that anything is awry there.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Will this turn out to be a good thing with high streets and shopping centres deserted? The simple things in life appreciated that bit more? People getting fitter? Greed eventually driven down? It's ironic that Russia seems to be about the only European country not under strict new rules at the moment.

:facepalm:

Hopefully, after the lockdown announcement today, they'll look at IQ tests for allowing internet access!!!!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Russia isn't a communist country

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dont think TS know what communism is so I'll just leave it that.

Russia (now a nationalist dictatorship run by Putin, with rigged politics) - their situation was covered in detail on LBC yesterday. Due to Putin’s insecure obsession in trying to make the West look inferior so that Russia looks a bit stronger, no one should trust their COVID-19 data. They do not want the rest of the World to know that anything is awry there.

... says the Western military–industrial–media complex, always horny for war, always eager to present Russia as dangerous, an enemy that at some point needs to be crushed - bombed into democracy and robbed of their natural resources, the true story of the "peaceful" NATO.

Sure. Russia could be lying. China could be lying. Singapore could be lying. Japan could be lying. South and North Korea could be lying. It is possible: after all, we've always been told most of these countries are inferior and medieval compared to our perfect and progressive western world. But you should at least take into consideration that their strategy of actually doing something immediatly so far has been working out better than the European strategy of sitting on our asses and rolling our thumbs until possibly hundreds of thousands got infected.

In no way are they trying to hide that "something is awry". Putin said less than one week ago that they had a "massive - I would like to underscore - massive penetration and spread of the infection in Russia", but since they, unlike some, learned from their "friends in Korea, Japan and China", they took immediate measures (like extensive tracing of transmittion chains beginning already in January) and the situation is now "generally under control". In other words, they did what they've done in Asia and what we very obviously failed to do here.

Still, they know its going to be a problem, despite the measures. They know it will spread. Putin and other parts of the government are saying it out loud and declaring their preparations.

This mechanism must be transparent and fair, and I am asking the government to make decisions

This is some of the domestic measures taken in Russia, none of which imply they are denying there will is and will be problems:
- Closed all schools and banning outdoor events in Moscow and also restricting indoor events to max 50 people
- Multi tier tracing to track and cut infection chains
- Banning entry for foreign nationals
- Paying elderly a small but not insignifcant fee to stay at home
- Constructing a new coronavirus hospital in Moscow housing up to 600 patients
- Increased salaries for all medical workers and scienticts working fighting the virus.
- Allowing online sales of non-prescription medicines while at the same time take measures to stop people from taking advantage of the situation by selling counterfeit medicines.
- Make government and telecompanies allocate resources to provide free access from PC:s to important Russian websites in order to buy medicines, study online, get public services and entertain themselves while in quarantine.
- Develop smoth cooperation between government, the Bank of Russia and all regions, because and create new cooperation mechanisms, because they need to run like clockwork.
- Relieve entrepreneurs of excessive inspections as much as possible.
- If and when it is necessary to announce unscheduled vacations or temporarily close down schools etc, children must not be left alone.

As for Putins "insecure obsession to make the West look weaker" - have you seen his speeches, press conferences and lengthy interviews with him, or do you just listen to Western media? He is always honest about the Wests superior military power and his worries about NATO military bases in neighbouring countries.
They dont want war, we do. To swallow what the Western establishment is saying and developing russiophobia could very well some day lead to something even worse than this nasty virus.

/Kind regards from an eternal peacemonger.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach

I wouldn't associate any of those follow-up questions with communism.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

So you think we shouldn’t be on lockdown?

Justify your bizarre stance please.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Sure. Russia could be lying. China could be lying. Singapore could be lying. Japan could be lying. South and North Korea could be lying. It is possible: after all, we've always been told most of these countries are inferior and medieval compared to our perfect and progressive western world. But you should at least take into consideration that their strategy of actually doing something immediatly so far has been working out better than the European strategy of sitting on our asses and rolling our thumbs until possibly hundreds of thousands got infected.

In no way are they trying to hide that "something is awry". Putin said less than one week ago that they had a "massive - I would like to underscore - massive penetration and spread of the infection in Russia", but since they, unlike some, learned from their "friends in Korea, Japan and China", they took immediate measures (like extensive tracing of transmittion chains beginning already in January) and the situation is now "generally under control". In other words, they did what they've done in Asia and what we very obviously failed to do here.

I can only speak for Japan as I understand it. They may not be lying but they're not telling the same truth as some other countries. Namely, it is a pretty high bar you need to reach to get a test and that deaths aren't reported as caused by coronavirus if they die of the underlying issue. For example if they die of pneumonia whilst having the virus there is no mention of the virus as a cause of death. Most likely the person hasn't even been tested.

I imagine once the Olympics has been cancelled there'll be a spike in cases.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I can only speak for Japan as I understand it. They may not be lying but they're not telling the same truth as some other countries. Namely, it is a pretty high bar you need to reach to get a test and that deaths aren't reported as caused by coronavirus if they die of the underlying issue. For example if they die of pneumonia whilst having the virus there is no mention of the virus as a cause of death. Most likely the person hasn't even been tested.

I imagine once the Olympics has been cancelled there'll be a spike in cases.

The same thing is happening in the UK with regard to the recording of deaths.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
:shrug:

Annotation 2020-03-24 090001.png

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

This indeed ! There are two ways Covid-19 is going to go in Putin's Russia, either there will be very few cases acknowledged publicly and there might well be a surprising low number of fatalities due to the skill and top grade equipment and facilities the Russian health service has or...….Anyone suspected of contracting it will mysteriously end up ploughed in to a mass grave somewhere in Siberia and no one will be asking questions.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
The same thing is happening in the UK with regard to the recording of deaths.

Really? Aren't they reporting it as "number of people who have died that tested positive for Corona virus"? So while it might not be the primary cause of death, it is acknowledged as being the likely cause that tipped people over the edge. Which is why nearly all fatal cases are those with compromising health issues. If it was only those compromising health issues which were cited as cause of death, then the UK corona death toll would be practically zero.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Really? Aren't they reporting it as "number of people who have died that tested positive for Corona virus"? So while it might not be the primary cause of death, it is acknowledged as being the likely cause that tipped people over the edge. Which is why nearly all fatal cases are those with compromising health issues. If it was only those compromising health issues which were cited as cause of death, then the UK corona death toll would be practically zero.

this is correct as i understand it. some countries only report the primary cause. East European data is highly suspicious, reportedly large numbers have returned from other countries but apparently little infections there :glare:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

this is correct as i understand it. some countries only report the primary cause. East European data is highly suspicious, reportedly large numbers have returned from other countries but apparently little infections there :glare:

I've heard directly from NHS staff that patients who have died with Coronavirus symptoms have had pneumonia put on their death certificate.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Anyone who believes those figures out of Russia needs a fairly sizeable reality check.

I've heard directly from NHS staff that patients who have died with Coronavirus symptoms have had pneumonia put on their death certificate.

That's how COVID-19 kills you. :facepalm:

It will still have been recorded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here