Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it a mistake to focus on social distancing of 2m?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'm in my 60's and feet and inches still comes to me more naturally than metres. This morning in the supermarket, I was trying to keep away from the elderly guy behind me in the checkout queue, but he kept closing the gap. Eventually, I jokily told him I was trying to keep my distance and he said 'what is 2m? I don't know - is it 3ft or 4ft?'. I seriously think this is an issue that anyone under maybe 55 will not understand. Everytime they say 2m, I think it would help if they added 6ft (as a round figure) for older folks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A harsh(ish) one I saw on Facebook was the length of a coffin.
You say harsh, but we are trying to remind people what's at stake here. I think coffin length is a great guide.

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
1m on average is the span of your arms held out shoulder height.

It's not your arm span, that's near enough your height. A metre is roughly from an outstretched hand to the opposite shoulder.

Like Usain Bolts pose, from the end of his hand to the other shoulder. That's how we used to measure lengths when data cabling. Not exact but not far off if your 5'10" ish.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
**** me, seriously!? The meter has been around since the 1700s! The most recent definition was in the 1980s. Honestly astounded people have such a piss poor grasp of basics.

Over 300 years and you can't even spell it - that's what I call a really piss poor grasp of basics!

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
**** me, seriously!? The meter has been around since the 1700s! The most recent definition was in the 1980s. Honestly astounded people have such a piss poor grasp of basics.

really,depends how old you are I suppose

youngsters really wouldn't understand old money though would they

I still use the imperial system for measurements and weight and I'm only in my late 50's

m@goo

Feb 20, 2020
It's not your arm span, that's near enough your height. A metre is roughly from an outstretched hand to the opposite shoulder.

Like Usain Bolts pose, from the end of his hand to the other shoulder. That's how we used to measure lengths when data cabling. Not exact but not far off if your 5'10" ish.

Knew it was something like that. My version is safer :D

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Knew it was something like that. My version is safer :D

It is yes, the further the better! It was the pedant in me that made me comment

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
No they probably wouldn't you are right. The difference being that one is how we measure things today and have done for decades, the other is a monetary system that has not been used for decades. One is history, the other isn't.

well I'm 5ft 9in and weigh 11 stone 2lb

what that is in metric I have know idea

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
You say harsh, but we are trying to remind people what's at stake here. I think coffin length is a great guide.
While they are at it, they should always refer to the virus as 'the killer virus'.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm in my 60's and feet and inches still comes to me more naturally than metres. This morning in the supermarket, I was trying to keep away from the elderly guy behind me in the checkout queue, but he kept closing the gap. Eventually, I jokily told him I was trying to keep my distance and he said 'what is 2m? I don't know - is it 3ft or 4ft?'. I seriously think this is an issue that anyone under maybe 55 will not understand. Everytime they say 2m, I think it would help if they added 6ft (as a round figure) for older folks.

Aged 71 I know it’s a bit longer than a yard.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
On one programme a couple of days ago, I think it was a local news programme they tried to be helpful by describing it as the length of Peter Crouch lying on the floor which I thought was a strange example to use given that most people have only seen Crouch on the tv so wouldn't be able to make that accurate a comparison. There are also those who wouldn't have a clue who Peter Crouch was.
Surely it's better to simply say 2m or 6ft as I doubt the additional six inches are going to make much difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here