Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Domestic Dilemma - Help!

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
So my 18-year-daughter's boyfriend lives in Bermondsey with his dad in a small one-bedroom flat. My daughter now wants him to come and stay with us because he's four flights up and going a bit mad. He's a lovely lad but he's also asthmatic and, to compound matters, Southwark borough (where he is) is the most infected borough in London. My wife and son are also mildly asthmatic and I'm worried that while he may not have the virus now if he does get it and becomes ill it could be very serious and, as his dad doesn't have a car and we might be on lockdown, his health would then be our responsibility. Then there is the danger it might also pose to my own family. At the moment we've said no but we I've got one massively grumpy daughter on my hands at the moment who's convinced that he won't pose any threat to us if he does come to stay.

What to do?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think you know the correct answer to this. And if you don’t I have a feeling you soon will!

Stay healthy and look after your household. Deal with what’s in front of you and please, do not encourage him to make the non-essential journey.

Plus what do you think they are gonna be doing while in isolation with each other for weeks?

It’s a bad idea and soon to be an illegal one.

The answer on this is a hard NO.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
I think you know the correct answer to this. And if you don’t I have a feeling you soon will!

Stay healthy and look after your household. Deal with what’s in front of you and please, do not encourage him to make the non-essential journey.

Plus what do you think they are gonna be doing while in isolation with each other for weeks?

It’s a bad idea and soon to be an illegal one.

The answer on this is a hard NO.

This is my thoughts entirely but it's getting it through to my daughter. Not going to be easy but I hope she'll see that none of it is personal. It's just better safe than sorry.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
In your situation I would say no I am afraid.

That said I have my 18 year old daughter's boyfriend living with us at the moment and he causes no problems at all. However he was already here before the virus arrived so I think that's the key difference.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
In your situation I would say no I am afraid.

That said I have my 18 year old daughter's boyfriend living with us at the moment and he causes no problems at all. However he was already here before the virus arrived so I think that's the key difference.

Makes a difference, true.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Makes a difference, true.

Being practical and realising the grief you are probably getting if you don't agree to this, could he arrive at yours and then self isolate in one room? Is that practical? I think he/they would only have to do so for seven days but it would have to be VERY strictly adhered to?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Doesn't seem right for this lad to leave his dad alone either ?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is my thoughts entirely but it's getting it through to my daughter. Not going to be easy but I hope she'll see that none of it is personal. It's just better safe than sorry.

Who wants a teenage boy in their house at the best of times?! :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
So my 18-year-daughter's boyfriend lives in Bermondsey with his dad in a small one-bedroom flat. My daughter now wants him to come and stay with us because he's four flights up and going a bit mad. He's a lovely lad but he's also asthmatic and, to compound matters, Southwark borough (where he is) is the most infected borough in London. My wife and son are also mildly asthmatic and I'm worried that while he may not have the virus now if he does get it and becomes ill it could be very serious and, as his dad doesn't have a car and we might be on lockdown, his health would then be our responsibility. Then there is the danger it might also pose to my own family. At the moment we've said no but we I've got one massively grumpy daughter on my hands at the moment who's convinced that he won't pose any threat to us if he does come to stay.

What to do?

If you don't like him and want them to split up then stick two teenagers together in quarantine in your house for 12 weeks (if they don't kill one another, and quite possibly you in the crossfire, first) :wink:

You're right, the answer is no. Good luck with handling a disappointed 18 year old.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

What to do?

Teenage daughters are ALWAYS grumpy. That's what they do, bless 'em. Move her random boyfriend in and it would all be downside for your family, far as I can see. Plus your teenage daughter would be no less grumpy. Them's the rules. Just say no :wave:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Another mouth to feed and another bum to wipe as well. And teenage boys eat like locusts and shit like wrestlers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ask her what happens if he has the virus but doesn't know it yet ?

Tell her he can stay if she solves that problem.

If she can buy into the problem, and think about a solution, it's a great lesson, and will make her probably suggest a quarantine arrangement herself.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
My son’s in the situation with his girlfriend. No was the answer.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here