Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Ring Video Doorbell

I have just ordered one of these - firstly because my wife likes the idea of an added security measure and, secondly, because in the current circumstances we can avoid opening the door to unnecessary callers or ask people to leave items on the doorstep rather than hand them over face to face. Anyone else use this and, if so, do you find it useful ?

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I have one and was very sceptical at first having read the reviews but I actually like it a lot but the reviews do ring (pardon the pun) true as the technology isn't quite good enough to support it if you catch it at a bad time (when you are on 3g). But if you are on wifi it work well most of the time. Does give you enough time to connect and have a conversation with who is at the door (which for me is normally telling a delivery driver to leave the package somewhere).

If you want to use it for security purposes then you need to sign up for their monthly subscription which they don't make very clear when you are buying it. You do get 30 days free though and it isn't a lot (2-3 quid a month I think) and for me well worth it because it records not just presses but also motion.

I run mine off the battery and it runs for probably 2 months before it needs charging. Easy to do, you just unscrew and plug it into USB. I do it overnight and its charged in the morning. Don't lose your screw driver though as they are security screws (although I'm sure you can find something to sort). You can wire it if you so wish.

Word of warning if you have a big house you will need either a chime or to link it to Alexa. I don't really have a big house but if you've got the telly/radio on its hard to hear the ring from the device itself. So I got the chime (as I didn't know what to tell people to get me for Christmas) which is good but another £30 and have it linked to the dots/echo I have around the house. I have switched off the alert for motion though and that was very annoying (it still records it though).

App is very good and easy to use/setup.

You are sharing your data with Amazon (they own it) but pretty much the only people knock on my door are amazon drivers so isn't an issue for me.

For £80 or whatever they are I would certainly recommend. The issues with the technology will only improve over time.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Yes we have one a Ring Pro (via a regular Amazon promotion) and hardwired in rather than battery. We got an electrician to do it so that needs to be considered as an additional cost if you go down that route.
All main points covered above regarding subscription etc and if you have a large house will need more chimes which are easy to set up.
You can control the field of activation.
We have found it useful one as one of the reasons was for security, and we also have cameras at the back of the house. Gives us a bit more peace of mind.

HHGull

BZ fan club
Dec 29, 2011
I have one and was very sceptical at first having read the reviews but I actually like it a lot but the reviews do ring (pardon the pun) true as the technology isn't quite good enough to support it if you catch it at a bad time (when you are on 3g). But if you are on wifi it work well most of the time. Does give you enough time to connect and have a conversation with who is at the door (which for me is normally telling a delivery driver to leave the package somewhere).

If you want to use it for security purposes then you need to sign up for their monthly subscription which they don't make very clear when you are buying it. You do get 30 days free though and it isn't a lot (2-3 quid a month I think) and for me well worth it because it records not just presses but also motion.

I run mine off the battery and it runs for probably 2 months before it needs charging. Easy to do, you just unscrew and plug it into USB. I do it overnight and its charged in the morning. Don't lose your screw driver though as they are security screws (although I'm sure you can find something to sort). You can wire it if you so wish.

Word of warning if you have a big house you will need either a chime or to link it to Alexa. I don't really have a big house but if you've got the telly/radio on its hard to hear the ring from the device itself. So I got the chime (as I didn't know what to tell people to get me for Christmas) which is good but another £30 and have it linked to the dots/echo I have around the house. I have switched off the alert for motion though and that was very annoying (it still records it though).

App is very good and easy to use/setup.

You are sharing your data with Amazon (they own it) but pretty much the only people knock on my door are amazon drivers so isn't an issue for me.

For £80 or whatever they are I would certainly recommend. The issues with the technology will only improve over time.

I’ve toyed with the idea but was put off as I thought it really needed to be hardwired. Is it secure?

What model did you get?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
IMG-20200322-WA0013.jpg

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I’ve toyed with the idea but was put off as I thought it really needed to be hardwired. Is it secure?

What model did you get?

Battery is very good, I got it in July and only taken it down twice to charge in that time. You can check on the app how much battery you have left. When it gets low you get a push from the app and an email.

You can secure the backplate then the device is screwed in using a couple of little torx screws (I think). Would say its as secure as its going to get. Of course someone could nick it but the device is a camera activated by motion. If you've got it on a plan then its going to constantly sending you videos.

I just got the entry level one. 720p one. The next one up is twice the price and gives you 1080p which doesn't sound like its worth it to me. The pro version looks a lot nicer and are a fair bit smaller (they are quite chunky).

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Folks please just google - ring doorbell security concerns

and at least think about it before you commit. I personally would not have one.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
Yes we have one and two floodlight cameras covering the front garden/drive and the side driveway area. I will be adding another to the back garden soon. Only last night it allowed me to see someone on my driveway at 11.15pm hood up trying to get into my back garden via the side gate. It does take a while to get the notification setting and device settings right for you, and i do wake up to afew cat videos, but I'm very happy with my set up and as a result of last nights visitor i will be sleeping with it all on loud for the next few nights.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I have just ordered one of these - firstly because my wife likes the idea of an added security measure and, secondly, because in the current circumstances we can avoid opening the door to unnecessary callers or ask people to leave items on the doorstep rather than hand them over face to face. Anyone else use this and, if so, do you find it useful ?

They're brilliant, great for chatting to people remotely and for seeing who is coming and going when Mrs OW and I are out (that's what happened in the good old days folks)

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
i live in a flat where i couldn't fit one of these door bells however i cannot wait to finally get a house mainly to get one of these fun gadgets.

Hove Lagoonery

Dec 16, 2008
Yes we have one and two floodlight cameras covering the front garden/drive and the side driveway area. I will be adding another to the back garden soon. Only last night it allowed me to see someone on my driveway at 11.15pm hood up trying to get into my back garden via the side gate. It does take a while to get the notification setting and device settings right for you, and i do wake up to afew cat videos, but I'm very happy with my set up and as a result of last nights visitor i will be sleeping with it all on loud for the next few nights.
Maybe it was a cat burglar.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
When my Dad died last year my sister and I thought it would be a good idea to install cameras in my Mums bungalow as she was starting to get a bit muddled.
Very clever stuff all in HD quality and easily installed by my brother in law.
My sister has been able to check if mum has eaten or had visitors.
If not, we can speak to her via the gadget to remind her to take her pills etc.
Last week my sister was holidaying in the Canary Islands but could still talk to and check on her.
It does make my mum jump tho when a voice says 'you haven't eaten the sausages in the fridge' :smile:
A couple of months ago some scrag purporting to be a roofer talked his way in to my mums property despite us telling her not to open the door unless she recognised the voice.
He took a quick shifty and realised he was on camera in the hall & lounge.
He soon buggered off!
We have added a further camera that takes in the front door & drive now.
Not sure how much it cost but worth every penny in our view.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010

Yes we have one and like you say very useful under the current circumstances. We used it this morning when the postman arrived with a package. He left it for us and we collected it when he left. Not only that the added security is a bonus.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Had one for around 2 months now and it's great. Good quality pictures as well. Do need a spare battery cell though as it takes a while to recharge

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Postman don't ring them as whats the point when you need a signature or your not in.
We just knock the door
You can't hand over a parcel if your not in and we don't doorstep parcels
They are just a gadget to tell people you are not in

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here