Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should broadband me free whilst people are being expected to work from home?

Should broadband be made free until the crisis is over?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • Other (please state)

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Many businesses and organisations are now relying on people’s home broadband subscriptions to continue operating.

Should the government introduce a Free Broadband policy?

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
There are certain companies whose actions during this crisis will be remembered for years to come, for those who went the extra mile to look after there staff and customers should reap long term benefits. In fact we should put together a naughty and nice list and support companies on the rainbow and boycott the ones on the dark cloud. Yes Broadband should be made free.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Should the goverment pay for it ? No. Should employers pay for it ? Possibly - well for those that don't have it anyway. Most of us do and our internet connection costs us no more when we work from home ..... I don't see why anyone shoud pick up the tab for something we'd pay for in normal times anyway.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
find it odd the first call is for free broadband rather than other essential utilities.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If you already have broadband why free? Government shouldn’t and why should providers not be paid. Maybe it should be paused if people need to cut it

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It was an item on BBC Breakfast this morning. Several main suppliers saying they’re providing unlimited broadband at the moment, including Virgin & BT.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It was an item on BBC Breakfast this morning. Several main suppliers saying they’re providing unlimited broadband at the moment, including Virgin & BT.

Most suppliers have provided unlimited bandwidth for quite sometime anyway.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There are certain companies whose actions during this crisis will be remembered for years to come, for those who went the extra mile to look after there staff and customers should reap long term benefits. In fact we should put together a naughty and nice list and support companies on the rainbow and boycott the ones on the dark cloud.

Nice - EasyJet
Naughty - BA.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
If it's unlimited, and someone has it already, then why would it be free ?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Seems a strange thing to worry about your employer paying for - especially if you are saving money on travel to work and already have broadband. Electricity would seem a fairer question but still a bit churlish.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Actually - this has just made me think. All of these people now working from home on non H&S audited workstations, how many people will be claiming industrial injury for stiff necks, RSI etc. Probably the same as the 43 people who, when sent an email from my company telling them that their membership had been suspended, no payments would be taken and that we were following government advice, decided to report the email to their ISP as abuse. There really are a few arsehats around.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
find it odd the first call is for free broadband rather than other essential utilities.

Agree. Unless people are having to use more broadband than they currently pay for then why can't you just carry on paying what you normally pay for? Next you'll be asking for the government to pay for you lunch!!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Absolutely and obviously yes. Otherwise the less well off will get ****ed even more by this. But, I suppose that is what a lot of people seem to be trying to do.

If you are working from home for a company instead of being at work then presumably you are still getting paid the same salary for the work you are doing. Why should you therefore profit from this situation unless of course you don't have broadband at home (and how many people are in that boat?).

If you think your employer is taking the piss, take it up with them.

Yoda

English & European
Many businesses and organisations are now relying on people’s home broadband subscriptions to continue operating.

Should the government introduce a Free Broadband policy?

Why just the Broadband? What about the extra peak time electricity I'm using, and the gas to keep myself warm whilst having to work from home?

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Why just the Broadband? What about the extra peak time electricity I'm using, and the gas to keep myself warm whilst having to work from home?

As I've been asked to work from home for 12 weeks I did look into this

Working at home
You may be able to claim tax relief for some of the bills you have to pay because you have to work at home on a regular basis. You cannot claim tax relief if you choose to work from home.

You can only claim for things to do with your work, for example, business telephone calls or the extra cost of gas and electricity for your work area.

You cannot claim for things that you use for both private and business use, for example, rent or broadband access.

Your employer can pay you up to £4 a week (£18 a month) to cover your additional costs if you have to work from home. You will not need to keep any records.

I have no idea if that will make up the extra expense but every little helps I guess.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here