Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The C19 Positive Parenting Thread (including school working from home)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Since many of us will have our young ones at home from tomorrow, but trying to learn, a single place for us school and toddler age parents to share ideas. Particularly:

- how to help with home learning
- kid friendly recipes to make together
- issues with schools / governments
- how to keep them happy and positive without harming others.
- any updated school or government advice on exams

PLEASE NOTE

This is NOT the place for judgement and you will be thread banned if you do. The idea is to create a hub of positive ideas to keep our young ones going.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
To kick off - my kids (year 8 and 4) both have home timetables for tomorrow ready to go and we will get them up by 8am latest. But I am also taking time from my own WFH schedule to check their work and take them into our garden to play. My personal belief is that structure will keep them going in the week.

Stuart Munday

Jul 6, 2003
Saltdean
Twinkl.co.uk looks good for downloading school stuff, good luck everyone we are going to need it, got our timetable ready for tomorrow.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Mine’s 2, and an idiot. So...

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Mine’s 2, and an idiot. So...

….sell him for medical experiments :nono:

No, seriously, I've had two different two year olds and they all had two year old mates. They are ALL idiots, but you will miss that stage once it is over. I'm going to assume you are living with your partner / wife? If so any lockdown will remove one of the biggest stresses, i.e. "you went out and I had to look after them during a meltdown / early rising / house destruction". If you are home and she's home then share the shit for a few weeks and you will massively reap the benefits in a few years.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Evening all - I’m happy to offer advice. I’m a HOD in charge of Geography and History. I start working from home tomorrow doing remote learning . Give us a shout if you have any questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To kick off - my kids (year 8 and 4) both have home timetables for tomorrow ready to go and we will get them up by 8am latest. But I am also taking time from my own WFH schedule to check their work and take them into our garden to play. My personal belief is that structure will keep them going in the week.

Same here, waking them at 8, which is still amazing compared to getting up at 6.30 onwards normally,

My daughter’s school requires that they login by 8.45, she’s going to meet the school’s online timetable.

At mid teens, I said they can stay up until 11 latest, Sunday to Thursday, phones and tablets out of their rooms .... one can’t be trusted to not be on social media until the early hours!

My son’s sporty, so we’ll do some exercise and sports together.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Evening all - I’m happy to offer advice. I’m a HOD in charge of Geography and History. I start working from home tomorrow doing remote learning . Give us a shout if you have any questions

Good man - this is what I want this thread to be about.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
….sell him for medical experiments :nono:

No, seriously, I've had two different two year olds and they all had two year old mates. They are ALL idiots, but you will miss that stage once it is over. I'm going to assume you are living with your partner / wife? If so any lockdown will remove one of the biggest stresses, i.e. "you went out and I had to look after them during a meltdown / early rising / house destruction". If you are home and she's home then share the shit for a few weeks and you will massively reap the benefits in a few years.

Yeah it’s already forced us into being a really good team.

The concern is managing to get any real WFH done - as he isn’t old enough to understand why Dad is home but not always playing with him.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P

Shouldn’t we put our hands up?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My 9-y-o’s school have done a really good job of giving us a timetable for the next two weeks and they’ll be ramping up their use of Google Classroom for communicating with their teachers.

However, the timetable starts at 10am each day so he’s going to be doing the 9am live PE session with Joe Wicks/The Body Coach on YouTube each day first.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I was thinking about starting a separate thread for Pre school kids. Going to be really hard for my four year old I think. She's very sociable, loves getting out and about, have just got her into parkrun etc. The four month old is too young for her to play with. Most of her friends have older brothers and sisters to keep them company.

Can't really explain the situation to her and don't really know where to start.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Can't really explain the situation to her and don't really know where to start.

Sorry, this is another reason for the thread. Not just school support but parenting support. I'm trying to keep as positive as possible in front of my kids, insist it's only for a bit, blah, blah, blah but I'm sure they can sense something's up. For younger ones this may (or may not) be easier to do. I don't know either but NSC has so many people on with different backgrounds that if there was a child psychologist on here or just an ordinary parent with a tip for how it's worked for them I think it would be really useful.

I imagine there are also parents dealing with issues with older teens - again feel free to post and help.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Attempting to 'home school' my 10 yo daughter and 8 yo son today.

What. A ****ing. Nightmare. :shootself

The register went ok but that's about it so far. Didn't bother with Assembly. Also, both have detention for not wearing uniform.

Tempted to giver them an extra long lunchbreak and then say schools out for the day. Suffice to say, after just a few hours of this shit I have a new found respect for teachers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here