Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Coronavirus- Happy Gardening thread. Dig for Victory

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I moved into my new home 5 months ago it has a greenhouse but missing a lot of glass, so today I have tidied it up and ordered new plastic panels and deciding what we will grow. Going to dig a veg patch this week.

Share you growing expectations, especially those confined, like me for 12 weeks or more

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
As I posted on another thread, moreveg.co.uk is a godsend for seeds. So cheap and so much choice. They do it partly by providing the right amount of seeds for the home gardener.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yup we’re totally sorting our garden. I’m also trying to build this mud kitchen thing for my son. I’m very impractical. This will take all spring and most of summer. Good.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Been up the allotment today with Mrs AR.
Planted first early pots and red/white onions.
Going to go with basics this year, as to make it easier for us and if stuff gets pinched, we won't be too bothered.
Ground is quite dry, so things are on the up :)

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Got 4 rows each of Pentland Javelin, Charlottes and Roosters in at the allotment. Got asparagus, strawberries, black currants, gooseberries, raspberries all patiently waiting. Then get going with the basics.

Big problem this year is no running water. Council won’t turn it on in case it leaks and there is no one to fix it!
Have started setting up extra water collection butts but a dry summer and we’re screwed. Will put extra mulch down to retain moisture.

Good luck everyone and ask NSC if any help needed.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I'm a bit late with my summer bedding sowing, but hopefully catch up this week. I have a load of alliums to thin out, more palms to plant and I have to separate some bananas. I might plant a couple of tomato plants but honestly, I have so much to do, so little time.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's a while since I gave up my allotment so happy to get back into it

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Got 4 rows each of Pentland Javelin, Charlottes and Roosters in at the allotment. Got asparagus, strawberries, black currants, gooseberries, raspberries all patiently waiting. Then get going with the basics.

Big problem this year is no running water. Council won’t turn it on in case it leaks and there is no one to fix it!
Have started setting up extra water collection butts but a dry summer and we’re screwed. Will put extra mulch down to retain moisture.

Good luck everyone and ask NSC if any help needed.

Im struggling to understand the idea to this, on water issues :shrug:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Im struggling to understand the idea to this, on water issues :shrug:

If there is a leak, although there is not at the moment, they say they do not have the staff to fix it because of Covid19.
We’re struggling to understand too! If there’s a leak in the future, turn it off then at the very least.
Happy we’re allowed up there.🧤

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Loads of stuff ordered today getting ready for the growing season

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Been busy ahead of Covid worries, have planted all my spuds ( International Kidney, Charlotte, Stemster, Golden Wonder and a red variety who's name escapes me ) Onion sets, shallots, Carrots, Parsnips, Beetroot, Radishes, Turnips and early Peas.

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
About to get going for the first time ever. Limiting myself to container growing I think this year so have ordered a set of seeds from Marshalls of various veg for containers. Bought some Juliette potatoes guessing that as maincrop (a new phrase i've just learned) I'm not too late to chit them (also now know what that means), is that right?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
About to get going for the first time ever. Limiting myself to container growing I think this year so have ordered a set of seeds from Marshalls of various veg for containers. Bought some Juliette potatoes guessing that as maincrop (a new phrase i've just learned) I'm not too late to chit them (also now know what that means), is that right?

Not at all, we've still got main crop pots that are still to grow chits, so will hopefully plant early April.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_potatoes1.shtml

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Took down the kids old trampoline at the weekend ( dead from the last set of storms ) and Mrs W gave me permission to create a veg patch. Finished digging over the area yesterday and will be planting my spuds during my lunch break today.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Looking around in the shops and its interesting to see that canned Tomatos and canned beans have taken a real hit over the last few weeks. I do fear that the disruption caused by this dammed virus is going to lead to continual shortages of things we have taken for granted . Stuff may not get planted or harvested due to a shortage of workers.

So, I'm going to ramp up my planting of beans and outdoor plum Tomato's in the coming weeks, you can dry and shell lots of different beans plus I have a large chest freezer so can turn the toms in to a passata and freeze it for a variety of dishes. I would recommend the company in the link below, try growing the Greek Gigante beans, they grow well in the UK ( they don't like it too hot ) and they store well and are marvellous in chilli and hearty stews or casseroles.

https://www.realseeds.co.uk/runnerbeans.html

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Asparagus decided to have a look at the daffs and the echium.

Won’t be doing that next week with temperature dropping.

72E5B7AE-65B5-4247-B79B-A591F58A5A0B.jpeg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
loads more done in the garden but still waiting for deliveries, boooo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here