Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What about this for a solution to this year's football

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
As we all know. Many teams don't want this season to end because they are either chasing Promotion to the division above. Or European places.

Others want it declared Null and void because they have the possibility of being relegated to a lower division.

Given that we now know that this Pandemic could run for 3 to 6 months and beyond. So rather than Rush to play games behind closed doors in the coming months and risking the health of players and workers needed to get games played.

What if we were to cancel next seasons Football altogether and use next season or what would be left of it to finish this year's football season at a leisurely pace ?

Your thoughts ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
As we all know. Many teams don't want this season to end because they are either chasing Promotion to the division above. Or European places.

Others want it declared Null and void because they have the possibility of being relegated to a lower division.

Given that we now know that this Pandemic could run for 3 to 6 months and beyond. So rather than Rush to play games behind closed doors in the coming months and risking the health of players and workers needed to get games played.

What if we were to cancel next seasons Football altogether and use next season or what would be left of it to finish this year's football season at a leisurely pace ?

Your thoughts ?

Terrible idea

9 games between now and August 2021? I’m out

el punal

On that basis we could have pre-season friendlies lasting six months with the League season lasting two months. So we could play Fulham five times at Aldershot’s ground, chuck in a couple of lower League jobs, say, Orient and Swindon. Closer to home with Bognor, Lewes and Whitehawk. Finally, maybe, a top European side - Le Havre anyone?

Yay! Bring it on. :albion2:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Terrible idea

We shouldn't even thinking about starting Football again till September at the earliest. Then we could run it right into next year's Euros

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
We shouldn't even thinking about starting Football again till September at the earliest. Then we could run it right into next year's Euros

No one knows how soon this will be sorted but even if we don't play until September that is one of the worst ideas I've seen I'm afraid. 9 games in a season - awful. Play the end of this season as quickly as poss, short break and then headlong into next with a few adjustments (world situation permitting) to fit it all in.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Your thoughts ?

No way football authorities will axe an entire season (unless they absolutely have to). It's worth literally £££ billions.

As things stand, 19/20 may get finished in the autumn, after loads of contract problems.

One month break/transfer window, then a 20/21 season played all in 2020, with two Premier League matches a week, no cups.

To prevent player burnout, squads extended to 30. In reality, that means many clubs simply recall loanees.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Nope, interest levels in the Euros, for me, are about 2% of my interest levels in the Albion. Euros would be a piss poor substitute for me.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your suggestion?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
No way football authorities will axe an entire season (unless they absolutely have to). It's worth literally £££ billions.

As things stand, 19/20 may get finished in the autumn, after loads of contract problems.

One month break/transfer window, then a 20/21 season played all in 2020, with two Premier League matches a week, no cups.

To prevent player burnout, squads extended to 30. In reality, that means many clubs simply recall loanees.

It won't be worth Billions if the TV Companies no longer have the Revenue to invest in it and people can't afford to go to it.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Your thoughts ?

I will get back to you once the club have confirmed they wont be starting to take 2020/21 season ticket payments next week based on that possibility

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No one knows how soon this will be sorted but even if we don't play until September that is one of the worst ideas I've seen I'm afraid. 9 games in a season - awful. Play the end of this season as quickly as poss, short break and then headlong into next with a few adjustments (world situation permitting) to fit it all in.

That's where I am too. I'm so looking forward to going to a game again, but I can be patient on this front.

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

Plus the euros 2021. Champions league/europa remaining games.

But if you're thinking from an Albion-centric point of view... The league cup was completed, we could have a new league cup competition for 2020/21, maybe model it on the champions league/world cup - qualification matches, round of mini leagues to qualify for a knockout round. to bulk the season out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They've already said the intention is to see this season through to its conclusion haven't they, with an open-ended timescale? Only way to go IMHO, unless football wants to tie itself up with litigation for forever and a day. As for players contracts, well just needs FIFA to put a global block on player transfers. And if Sky Sport and BT Sports collapse in the interim, then it's serious salary haircuts all round for these people

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Nope, interest levels in the Euros, for me, are about 2% of my interest levels in the Albion. Euros would be a piss poor substitute for me.

Maybe I am misunderstanding your suggestion?

No you're not misunderstanding my suggestion. You just don't like it which is fine. We are all entitled to out views on things and that's fine.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
More worried about the season being extended with no extra revenue, while the monthly wage bill keeps ticking over, and having to wait an extended period for the new season TV money/parachutes.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It won't be worth Billions if the TV Companies no longer have the Revenue to invest in it and people can't afford to go to it.

The bubble might now burst, for sure. But there are existing contracts which need to be fulfilled.

If Premier League can't provide the action Sky, BT and all the foreign TV companies have paid for, they're going to be expecting huge refunds.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

well it seems that they likely do have to, if there's not enough weeks left to complete fixutres. the most money comes from advertising and they dont care much about which season it is, if there is a game providing content which they can inject their marketing. wrap up the current season, move onto the next, makes little difference to them. seasons, titles, promotion, relegation matter to the clubs and fans, and for us it'll be better to scrub the season and get back to nomality as soon as practical. changing 20/21 just prolongs distruption.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The bubble might now burst, for sure. But there are existing contracts which need to be fulfilled.

If Premier League can't provide the action Sky, BT and all the foreign TV companies have paid for, they're going to be expecting huge refunds.

No the contracts don't need to be fulfilled.

My company are not fulfilling mine at the moment. They are currently losing half a million pounds per month at the moment. And because of this they are only paying 80% of my salary from next month.

Football Clubs and TV Companies will need to follow a similar route in the coming year.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here