Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Facebook Portal

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Do you have to have Facebook to use it? my dad is 92 and we tried to sign up for FB but was rejected because he was not prepared to give them his mobile number, we could find a way around it.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you have to have Facebook to use it? my dad is 92 and we tried to sign up for FB but was rejected because he was not prepared to give them his mobile number, we could find a way around it.

Apparently works with Whatsapp which is what we will use. I don’t have or want a Facebook account.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I assume that the receiver needs some sort of internet connection?

For reasons of wanting to get it all sorted out right now ive bought a second hand iPhone 7plus from musicmagpie (lowest storage) for the sole reason of the whole family being able to boost my elderly fathers spirits ...O2 were offering a pay as you go sim with 50gb storage fro the first three months at £20 a month....doesn’t tie anyone into any long term commitment.
I am kicking myself for not sorting out some sort of broadband connection though ..he cant have a satellite dish because of where he is living and wouldnt want hassle of fibre cables etc,,,but having looked at EE they do offer a 10mb ASDL connection at a low price ...once this thing has done its stuff its on my list of to do’s

How do people rate Skype for video calling....i want to get as much time as possible for the data allowance ...do they all work out the same Skype, WhatsApp etc

Last edited:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Anyone got one?

I have just ordered one seeing as we will be keeping in touch with family by Whatsapp

Please tell me it works well. It was an impulse purchase today as everything points to it being better than using our rather small Iphone SEs

Does it do what it says on the tin?

Reviews are mixed and plenty of concern re privacy. If anyone wants to listen in to our family video ramblings they really need to get a life ( I was going to say “get out more” but that channel is being slowly squeezed :lolol:)

How did you get on with this?? Worth the money and easy to setup? Going to take the plunge for my parents but wanted to get some honest feedback first.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
How did you get on with this?? Worth the money and easy to setup? Going to take the plunge for my parents but wanted to get some honest feedback first.

Ordered 22 March and I received notification that it had been sent out today. Will update you on how good it is when it arrives :smile:

First observation, it’s a piss poor turn around time!

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Received at last and have to say absolutely perfect. A little niggly to set up but if you get one just pm with problems. Can be placed a few feet away as the screen is large (10”) enough to be able to see clearly. The nifty bit is that you can move around the room and somehow the camera follows you whilst keeping someone sitting down in view as well. Solid bit of kit and I can now see why the price is higher than you might expect.

Like it and once set up absolutely ideal for older or less gadget savvy people :thumbsup:

Worth noting that sadly it does not operate on voice control if using whatsapp. No idea if it does using Facebook, believe it does though, as I don’t use that at all.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here