Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Facebook Portal

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone got one?

I have just ordered one seeing as we will be keeping in touch with family by Whatsapp

Please tell me it works well. It was an impulse purchase today as everything points to it being better than using our rather small Iphone SEs

Does it do what it says on the tin?

Reviews are mixed and plenty of concern re privacy. If anyone wants to listen in to our family video ramblings they really need to get a life ( I was going to say “get out more” but that channel is being slowly squeezed :lolol:)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My daughter is working her way up the ladder at Facebook. I can’t tell you how good they are being yo their employees and the wider community.

We used portal for the first time to chat with her and it’s brilliant and better that FaceTime

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My daughter is working her way up the ladder at Facebook. I can’t tell you how good they are being yo their employees and the wider community.

We used portal for the first time to chat with her and it’s brilliant and better that FaceTime

Amazing what you can do when you don’t pay any UK tax

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Amazing what you can do when you don’t pay any UK tax

Yeah...it was a shame they just paid ALL their uk staff an extra bonus to help them through the next few weeks, as well as their annual bonuses being guaranteed at the higher rate for everyone and using their restaurants to provide food to the homeless and Sally Army in London, and giving every staff member a “ keep we’ll pack” of soap, sanitiser, etc etc. Also providing free advertising for all companies on the Facebook platforms, of which there are many.

Oh yes, and ALL uk employees pay PAY, And NIC

They are a US based company.

Would you expect Hawei to pay UK tak as they are a Chinese company..or TATA steel?

You haven’t a ****ing clue mate. Carry on posting your bullshit as there must be someone out there who likes your bile.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Would you expect Hawei to pay UK tak as they are a Chinese company..or TATA steel?

You haven’t a ****ing clue mate. Carry on posting your bullshit as there must be someone out there who likes your bile.

Are you ok? Bit harsh ? And you are being a bit naive with some of the above. They still took revenue of £1.6Bn IN THE UK and paid tax of £25M or whatever it was.

Same as Amazon paying £14M tax on £2.3Bn of UK sales.

Are you saying that you’d be happy for every company to domicile elsewhere to avoid tax? How would the UK cope with that?

FYI - I work for a US tech company, with EMEA HQ in Ireland. So have a bit more of a ‘****ing clue’ than you think.

FYI2 - looks like the US are also unhappy with how little Facebook pay in taxes. Because of some entity Facebook has in the Cayman Islands where profits go to. https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....for-9-billion-u-s-tax-court-fight-11581177600

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Nice they are treating their employees well, and of course they pay their legally due taxes in the U.K.
They are parasites though, and it’s for the U.K. govt to sort

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Bounce for anyone with older relatives who would find this easier than a phone to use on what’s app if they don’t have a pc/laptop to facetime on. Assuming you can live with yourself buying something from a company that doesn’t pay taxes in the UK.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Interested too - was going to give my Mum an old iPhone for FaceTime (and similar) video chats, but this may be a better option.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you saying that you’d be happy for every company to domicile elsewhere to avoid tax? How would the UK cope with that?

you mean like VW or Sony? or like Vodafone or BP, bringing tax here from elsewhere? :wink:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
did you read the part where it paid taxes abroad so not liable in UK? exactly what you asking of Facebook :rolleyes:

Vodafone Group plc /ˈvoʊdəfoʊn/ is a multinational telecommunications company. Its registered office is located in Newbury, Berkshire, England and its global headquarters is based in London, England.[2]

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I've had one go on the portal and it is a rather nice kit. I logged in through whatsapp, so no facebook account necessary. The missus kicked up a stink as she hates facebook and doesn't give them an gnat's chuff of trust, but as long as i don't suddenly see advertising concerning gusset-re-enforcement following a chat with my mother via the portal, i'll use it.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Anyone got one?

I have just ordered one seeing as we will be keeping in touch with family by Whatsapp

Please tell me it works well. It was an impulse purchase today as everything points to it being better than using our rather small Iphone SEs

Does it do what it says on the tin?

Reviews are mixed and plenty of concern re privacy. If anyone wants to listen in to our family video ramblings they really need to get a life ( I was going to say “get out more” but that channel is being slowly squeezed :lolol:)

Where did you buy from?? Everywhere seems out of stock.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A few of us tried Zoom for a meeting on 3rd March, which worked well including an old chap from Australia.

You used to get just 40 mins free but now there is no longer a time limit.

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
We bought 3 X Portal+s for us and our parents, the oldest of whom is 88. After setting then up for them and leaving them to it, they are getting on fine, we even have 3 way calls. You can just leave then on and get on with things, whilst chatting. Simple to use, great device [emoji106]

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Yeah...it was a shame they just paid ALL their uk staff an extra bonus to help them through the next few weeks, as well as their annual bonuses being guaranteed at the higher rate for everyone and using their restaurants to provide food to the homeless and Sally Army in London, and giving every staff member a “ keep we’ll pack” of soap, sanitiser, etc etc. Also providing free advertising for all companies on the Facebook platforms, of which there are many.

Oh yes, and ALL uk employees pay PAY, And NIC

What your saying is they are looking after themselves then? but **** the the tax payer? that's how it reads.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here