Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mosques and churches

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Why has the order gone out for pubs, clubs restaurants and all indoor gatherings to close if so by force but not mosques and lesserly churches? Supposedly mosques particularly in inner city London the epicenter of the virus have been open today and packed to capacity.

:nono:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
So why were more than half of the mosques in the UK open today for prayers??

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Churches closed before pubs restaurants etc

Churches aren't officially closed and neither are mosques. However, the Muslim Council of Britain has advised mosques to suspend gatherings.

The East London mosque (one of the largest in Europe) is closed.

My two local mosques are closed too.

They need to be both officially closed (as do synagogues) on the basis they attract the elderly.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Has Crodo turned into Alfredmizen? An unanticipated effect of the virus? ???

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Churches aren't officially closed and neither are mosques. However, the Muslim Council of Britain has advised mosques to suspend gatherings.

The East London mosque (one of the largest in Europe) is closed.

They need to be both officially closed (as do synagogues) on the basis they attract the elderly.

So why haven't they been closed? Surely a blanket ban on mass gatherings applies to all of society, religious or not?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So why haven't they been closed? Surely a blanket ban on mass gatherings applies to all of society, religious or not?

The advice has come down and I can only speak for my local area. I'm not sure what you are reading, but mosques are closing.

Muslim families are particularly vulnerable. They are more likely to live with extended families under one roof, so the likelihood of infecting an elderly member of the family is high.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Scores of mosques in Leicester, Lancashire, London, Birmingham, Luton and other parts of the country chose not to shut their doors and introduced restrictions instead, such as urging anyone who has coronavirus symptoms (constant cough or temperature) not come to the mosque at all.

One mosque in Manchester, Jameah Masjid E Noor, even announced a special Jama’ah for the over 50s.

Anti-closure scholars have justified their decision by emphasising the importance of prayers in Islam, the lack of a government ban on mass gatherings, and the fact that general wider society has not shut down.

Earlier today Sheikh Haitham al-Haddad, of the Islamic Council of Europe, reiterated that he categorically disagrees with the full closure of mosques on the grounds that “no one has the right whatsoever to control the Houses of Allah.”

In a fatwa he urged Muslims to try to perform Jumu’ah as much as they can, but if they cannot find a congregation to join then they should try to establish Jumu’ah wherever they can in homes or even in parks. And if they can’t then they must pray Dhuhr instead.

“It could be argued from a worldly perspective that gathering in the mosque for Jum’uah or daily prayers will add to the spread of the virus. While we take all proven precautions, we must remember Allāh is the one who causes means to reach their ends. We remember His ability over all things and His subjugating of the creation to us when we obey His commands and establish His glorification on the earth,” the fatwa said.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Scores of mosques in Leicester, Lancashire, London, Birmingham, Luton and other parts of the country chose not to shut their doors and introduced restrictions instead, such as urging anyone who has coronavirus symptoms (constant cough or temperature) not come to the mosque at all.

One mosque in Manchester, Jameah Masjid E Noor, even announced a special Jama’ah for the over 50s.

Anti-closure scholars have justified their decision by emphasising the importance of prayers in Islam, the lack of a government ban on mass gatherings, and the fact that general wider society has not shut down.

Earlier today Sheikh Haitham al-Haddad, of the Islamic Council of Europe, reiterated that he categorically disagrees with the full closure of mosques on the grounds that “no one has the right whatsoever to control the Houses of Allah.”

In a fatwa he urged Muslims to try to perform Jumu’ah as much as they can, but if they cannot find a congregation to join then they should try to establish Jumu’ah wherever they can in homes or even in parks. And if they can’t then they must pray Dhuhr instead.

“It could be argued from a worldly perspective that gathering in the mosque for Jum’uah or daily prayers will add to the spread of the virus. While we take all proven precautions, we must remember Allāh is the one who causes means to reach their ends. We remember His ability over all things and His subjugating of the creation to us when we obey His commands and establish His glorification on the earth,” the fatwa said.

And the rest of the article states that most mosques have closed and in higher population areas there has been an almost complete shut down.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The advice has come down and I can only speak for my local area. I'm not sure what you are reading, but mosques are closing.

Muslim families are particularly vulnerable. They are more likely to live with extended families under one roof, so the likelihood of infecting an elderly member of the family is high.

Hopefully this is true of the rest of the country and people are being sensible, I find it bizzare though that Boris on his ban yesterday chose pretty much all indoor gatherings except for religious centres.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
ironic really, Catholic mass in Italy and some Islamic ceremony in Iran are what caused explosions of incidence in those countries. where is their god?

if we have official banning of pubs and resturants, we should have official banning of religious gatherings too.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
And the rest of the article states that most mosques have closed and in higher population areas there has been an almost complete shut down.

All pubs, all clubs, all restaurants have been told but most mosques have decided to close?? And how many churches have remained open??

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's a fair question. Nothing to do with Bushy :ffsparr:

I was teasing Crodo. As I often do. Cat likes a tummy tickle.

Christ. You are monumentally thick. Too thick for me to bother putting you on ignore. :shrug:

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It's very fair, but somewhat misinformed.

I find the queues outside super markets at 6:30am more worrying.

I was queueing at 5.30am the other day. What a massive long line it was. By the time i got in the essentials were gone.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's very fair, but somewhat misinformed.

I find the queues outside super markets at 6:30am more worrying.

Come on. When has Crodo ever asked a fair question? ??? :lolol:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was queueing at 5.30am the other day. What a massive long line it was. By the time i got in the essentials were gone.

Try a Polish supermarket. I have one near me NEXT DOOR to a LIDL. The Lidl was completely empty, but I came back with fresh veg, some nice potatoes and butter.

Loads of bread there too and a freezer stacked with frozen veg.

I was shopping at 7pm.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Try a Polish supermarket. I have one near me NEXT DOOR to a LIDL. The Lidl was completely empty, but I came back with fresh veg, some nice potatoes and butter.

I was shopping at 7pm.

That's a good idea. Even spice shops have been hit badly. There are Polish shops in Crawley.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here