Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How do you think Boris has handled it so far ?

How do you think Boris has handled Covid 19 so far ?

• Superb

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Very Good

Votes: 63 25.1%
  • Good

Votes: 56 22.3%
  • Average

Votes: 22 8.8%
  • Poor

Votes: 44 17.5%
  • Very Poor

Votes: 39 15.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Far too early to say...he seems to be getting reasonably good advice and he seems to be taking it but the time to really assess his performance is further down the line if or when the bodies start piling up and law and order begin to break down.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Nonsense. He's had to decide which experts to listen to, for starters.

The government will be receiving a wide range of information and opinions from a multitude of experts. The Imperial College said as much last Monday. They're just one advisory body.

Last weekend, the government was widely condemned by WHO and many others for talk of 'herd immunity'.

Others nations were shocked by the slowness of the UK response - the fact that mass gatherings (Cheltenham; huge concerts) were still taking place last week/end.

Many bodies, including the Premier League, shut down events before being advised to by the government.

And while there was still no clear advice from the government, businesses were starting to send staff to work from home. Some companies in the City sent staff home for a month minimum. This is the week before last!

Then, of course, government changed course on Monday 16th.

We finally got daily press conferences. Boris was flanked by experts (currently back in vogue it seems). The government looked and sounded positive (action at last!) for a couple of days.

But Boris soon started looking bored. Basically asking journos in front of the nation, "Do we really need to do this every day?".

Then his ad libs ("12 weeks") started making the headlines. And he sent out dangerous, mixed messages regarding Mother's Day.

As everyone knows, he's been completely outshone by the coherent professional Rishi Sunak (probably a future PM himself).

Then schools were finally shut down in the UK - the last country in Europe. The last!

And... well look, history will ultimately decide how good "Boris has handled this". I truly hope it's a good outcome, and he's lauded - although I have no idea what 'good' will look like.

But we all know that it it's not a good outcome, blame will be deflected.

Anyway, way more important than the rating of a PM right now, is the fact that the UK is still not in lockdown.

And we've already had more deaths here than when China, Spain and France locked down...

Excellent post. I couldn't agree more, he's been appallingly bad. The mixed messages have confused people, the "turning the tide in 12 weeks" was off his own - he certainly wasn't listening to experts then,

And despite the warnings from WHO, China, Italy and all the other countries, he doesn't take their advice and let's people hold mass gatherings.

In the past week, I've seen statements from Macron, Merkel and Varadkar and they've all struck the right, sombre note emphasising the seriousness of the situation. Johnson seems to treat it as some sort of lark.

I agree that Sunak has been impressive ... although he's pretty much following John McDonnell's policies (no less welcome though)

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Really well. Don’t think he could have done any better. It’s an impossible situation and as a result it was always going to be a challenge. Every country and Government has struggled but I think he is coming out of this very well.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He has had the good sense to defer to the guidance of Cummings, and pass on the detailed planning tohis underlings.

That's what makes a good King. Boris is better than Prince Charles as far as I am concerned (Charles a man who thinks he knows far more than he does). My verdict is good, and I'd be happy to see him as King. King Boris the Liar :lolol:

In seriousness, any PM who thinks they can run a show like this on their own steam is a total arse. And Boris is not a total arse. He's just a run of the mill mundane arse. So 'good' it is.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Thanks Donald.

Sorry but he well known for his "reporting" facts. Some of the crap he's written especially when at Guido Fawkes, spouting extreme right wing tosh.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
For all those people voting 'good', it was the government's blatant lack of preparation and pursuing the herd immunity policy that will results in thousands of unnecessary deaths. How can that be 'good'? Thousands of people will die because of his disregard for WHO advice and wasting weeks when he should have been locking down. His handling of this has been a cataclysmic DISASTER.

Considering he has only been prime minister for short time and he has had biggest peacetime emergency ever in this country in modern times. He is doing very well in my opinion so far. Time will tell as to how we end up with this disease but so far he is doing the best in almost impossible circumstances

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Considering he has only been prime minister for short time and he has had biggest peacetime emergency ever in this country in modern times. He is doing very well in my opinion so far. Time will tell as to how we end up with this disease but so far he is doing the best in almost impossible circumstances

Blood on his hands. We will be worse than Italy because of him. We are not even testing NOW ffs - and it's been proven this is the only way to stop it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
We are exactly two weeks behind Italy in terms of cases / deaths. They locked down the entire country on March 9. We have to lockdown the UK on Monday just to be NO WORSE than Italy.

They knew this was coming. They had months to prepare for it and did NOTHING (except pursue a bizarre policy that will result in thousands of extra deaths).

And posters on here think he's doing a 'good' job. It's absolutely laughable. Perhaps people will change their minds when the bodies start piling up and remember when he said the disease should just 'run its course'.

The way most of the media and the BBC suck him off sickens me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Nonsense. He's had to decide which experts to listen to, for starters.

The government will be receiving a wide range of information and opinions from a multitude of experts. The Imperial College said as much last Monday. They're just one advisory body.

Last weekend, the government was widely condemned by WHO and many others for talk of 'herd immunity'.

Others nations were shocked by the slowness of the UK response - the fact that mass gatherings (Cheltenham; huge concerts) were still taking place last week/end.

Many bodies, including the Premier League, shut down events before being advised to by the government.

And while there was still no clear advice from the government, businesses were starting to send staff to work from home. Some companies in the City sent staff home for a month minimum. This is the week before last!

Then, of course, government changed course on Monday 16th.

We finally got daily press conferences. Boris was flanked by experts (currently back in vogue it seems). The government looked and sounded positive (action at last!) for a couple of days.

But Boris soon started looking bored. Basically asking journos in front of the nation, "Do we really need to do this every day?".

Then his ad libs ("12 weeks") started making the headlines. And he sent out dangerous, mixed messages regarding Mother's Day.

As everyone knows, he's been completely outshone by the coherent professional Rishi Sunak (probably a future PM himself).

Then schools were finally shut down in the UK - the last country in Europe. The last!

And... well look, history will ultimately decide how good "Boris has handled this". I truly hope it's a good outcome, and he's lauded - although I have no idea what 'good' will look like.

But we all know that it it's not a good outcome, blame will be deflected.

Anyway, way more important than the rating of a PM right now, is the fact that the UK is still not in lockdown.

And we've already had more deaths here than when China, Spain and France locked down...

Extremely good synopsis. The product of a ruthless working brain. Let's hope, for all out sake, Dominic is even smarter than you.

As a scientist I can confidently say that I do not know whether we are doing the right or wrong thing. I can say that China has beaten it for now, but when they go back on the street.....they could find themselves having to go in and out of lockdown for the next 18 months as the bug resurfaces at home, or close borders indefinitely till the dirty west finally wipes its own arse clean.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Forgot to mention the testing. Another criticism from WHO, which says testing is the key to containment.

Why aren't we testing widely? Someone get an answer out of Boris please!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Forgot to mention the testing. Another criticism from WHO, which says testing is the key to containment.

Why aren't we testing widely? Someone get an answer out of Boris please!

not enough approved labs available to deal with demand. not something that can be instantly turned on, unless relaxing the approval process that probably needs legislation.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We are exactly two weeks behind Italy in terms of cases / deaths. They locked down the entire country on March 9. We have to lockdown the UK on Monday just to be NO WORSE than Italy.

They knew this was coming. They had months to prepare for it and did NOTHING (except pursue a bizarre policy that will result in thousands of extra deaths).

And posters on here think he's doing a 'good' job. It's absolutely laughable. Perhaps people will change their minds when the bodies start piling up and remember when he said the disease should just 'run its course'.

The way most of the media and the BBC suck him off sickens me.

How many months ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Anyone can make a wrong call. These are extraordinary times. We need to know why the wrong call was made. Show the data.

But anyway after that. Compare with Varadker, Macron, Merkel. Drop the act. Take decisive action. Be clear.

I was reading some of the herd-immunity detail last weekend and it seemed totally theoretical and totally unrealistic as well as dangerous. Many others were saying the same; I think it was 200 plus who challenged the theory. It was also way out of step with every other nation. I’d love to know why he felt this was the right call to make because I can’t see one single reason.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Testing testing? I was sent some confidential stuff recently. My name is the same as a senior bod at my uni/trust/hospital. We often get each other's mail (oh, how we laugh). There has been no mention of testing. But testing is what we need. Should I help my vulnerable neighbours when my 'cold' abates, or should I hunker down till the real Cov-19 hits me? I have no ****ing clue, and neither does anyone else.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here