Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Lock ins

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
I expect this old tradition to resurface with immediate effect . How do you get in though , knock three times ? Nowadays its probably a hastily assembled whatsapp group.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Many a lock in at my local back in the 80's and 90's. Seemed to spend more money during a lock in than during the evening session. :cheers:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Too much social media unfortunately. No where would last 5 mins

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone offering, or attending, such a thing now is a complete tool, and hope they get called out instantly. Either that, or they can stay ‘locked in’ until it’s all over.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Times have changed from the olden days.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Back in my late teens I used to have lock-ins in pubs in Knutsford. Always used to end up with thick curtains firmly closed, and general rowdiness.

One of the landlords used to issue free drinks to anyone who rested their tits on the bar and placed an order. Sadly I was quite slim then, so couldn't go out in drag and score some freebies, so the ladies always won that game.... :annoyed:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Anyone offering, or attending, such a thing now is a complete tool, and hope they get called out instantly. Either that, or they can stay ‘locked in’ until it’s all over.
My father is 76, he goes to the pub every dat for a couple of pints and to meet his cronies. It is the focus of his life. He is relatively fit and healthy and so would prefer to take his chance with the Corvids than give this up. He would genuinely prefer to die than to spend three to six months locked up in his house.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
My father is 76, he goes to the pub every dat for a couple of pints and to meet his cronies. It is the focus of his life. He is relatively fit and healthy and so would prefer to take his chance with the Corvids than give this up. He would genuinely prefer to die than to spend three to six months locked up in his house.

Fighting for breath for days before going into multiple organ failure ain't the way to go though, if you can help it.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Good for him, but does he know for sure that everyone he might come into contact with (or who pick up his germs) is also happy to take those risks........and he would have a clear conscience if he infected a number of others. Maybe the barman who has a couple of young kids ? The pub cleaner ?

It’s not about anyone individually. I’m really not overly bothered about catching it myself - I’m reasonably fit and don’t have any conditions that might make me more vulnerable.............I’m staying at home because I don’t want to spread it, overwhelm the NHS and kill people.

It’s not only ‘his chance’ he is taking. This is the why we’ve had to close all places where the public gather today.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
One of the landlords used to issue free drinks to anyone who rested their tits on the bar and placed an order. Sadly I was quite slim then, so couldn't go out in drag and score some freebies, so the ladies always won that game.... :annoyed:

I’m sure there will will enough big tits out there to keep the tradition going.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
when did lock ins stop? remember a few back in the 90s

I was regularly enjoying lock in up until 2010 when it all came to an end round my area. Don’t hear of them anymore but then again I’ve also moved away from being a pub regular so that may explain it.

Any other offers on 2010?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Bit of a silly idea as it would encourage more stringent lock downs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

And he also wants to potentially murder innocent people who want to live as well?

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
I was regularly enjoying lock in up until 2010 when it all came to an end round my area. Don’t hear of them anymore but then again I’ve also moved away from being a pub regular so that may explain it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was 80/90's but it all came to an end when licensing hours were extended. Without doubt it will spark up again without fear of anyone 'murdering' the landlord or innocents... probably the same chance as murdering doris on the Tesco checkout

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Used to do this all the time at The Royal Oak, St James Street, especially when it was time for 'pipe cleaning'.
Landlord used to go quietly to certain people and whisper 'pipe cleaning ?" in their ear.
We would then go hang out in the garden area till the rest of the drinkers left, we came back in and then the doors were locked.
He would then pour all the pints he had to from every pump and leave them on the bar as a free for all, he unlocked the pool table for free use as well.
There is a 2 storey basement there and the barrels were kept in the bottom one, so there were plenty of pints poured.
This was usually on a Sunday night, so made Monday morning hell.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

Having never been in a lock in before, I was surprised and delighted to find myself invited to one in 2018. It was up in The Lakes and the pub was all but empty except for a couple of bar staff, myself and a friend. We were talking in that drunken, enthusiastic way abut music, which was the barman's cue to invite us to stay on past closing time.

It didn't end all that well if I'm honest. I'm not one for hangovers but that was a humdinger.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Typical of that generation unfortunately. Very selfish.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

I think there's been some pretty unfair responses to this - IMO It's not really about the rights and wrongs of what he may do, it's a reflection of the social lives that some elderly people rely on. There are many people (not all elderly as it happens) who rely on our local, it's their lives, it's what they do. I'm happy for the landlord that this announcement has been made, he was waiting for it but for those who use the pub to connect with people, I really feel for them, it's heartbreaking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here