Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 80% Government backed wage

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Does anyone know if the wage will be 80% Government and 20% company or just 80% Government? I am now in the position as from 8:00pm tonight my company have been forced to close for at least 6 weeks and need to know if I should contact my mortgage provider. Cheers.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
80% Government, as your company has shut are they not paying you ?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Does anyone know if the wage will be 80% Government and 20% company or just 80% Government? I am now in the position as from 8:00pm tonight my company have been forced to close for at least 6 weeks and need to know if I should contact my mortgage provider. Cheers.

Closed forever or just temporarily for now?
Are you still employed by them, but with nil pay?

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

From what I understand, they would like your company to pay the 20%, but that will be down to them.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Closed forever or just temporarily for now?
Are you still employed by them, but with nil pay?

Closed until further notice. Pretty sure that we won't close for good. I only ask on here because knowing my company I will be waiting for a while for the answers to my questions and the good folk of NSC always come up with the answers. Still employed, just sent home.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
OK. Cheers. As they're not paying me I might go and do a bit of moonlighting, shelf stacking at a local supermarket.

On what basis are they not paying you given the Government have offered to pay 80% ?

BTW local CO-OP virtually pleading for temporary staff

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
On what basis are they not paying you given the Government have offered to pay 80% ?

BTW local CO-OP virtually pleading for temporary staff

That was a quip at the fact that my company may or may not be paying the other 20%.

My wife works for a supermarket and can get me a temporary job while I am off. I would love something to do for the period that I am off but would be unwise to work if it were to affect the government wage.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Closed until further notice. Pretty sure that we won't close for good. I only ask on here because knowing my company I will be waiting for a while for the answers to my questions and the good folk of NSC always come up with the answers.

The reason I ask is that if you’re still employed, immediately your employer will have to pay you at least 80% gross pay (financed by the government paying them). Up to £2,500 a month.

If you had left and received a P45, you’d be in an entirely different scenario.

Edit - since seen your posts against the employer not topping it up.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
The reason I ask is that if you’re still employed, immediately your employer will have to pay you at least 80% gross pay (financed by the government paying them). Up to £2,500 a month.

Thanks for your reply. I was too late to edit the ( My company are not paying me) but the original info I was given seems to be fake news from a work colleague. As I type this I am still unsure as to what the company policy will be towards wages.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
need to wait until there is more information over the weekend and into next week. a lot of businesses may have made decisions before the announcement, and will change their view once its clear what funding they can call upon.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thanks for your reply. I was too late to edit the ( My company are not paying me) but the original info I was given seems to be fake news from a work colleague. As I type this I am still unsure as to what the company policy will be towards wages.

I would imagine and hope that businesses can now, for now, retain all their staff and pay up to 100% pay. They’ve now got colossal savings in rates (nil), wages (nil), corporation tax deferred, VAT (deferred a year and it was never their money anyway ... they take it from customers on top of the value of the supply, and act merely as a collecting agent), plus government cash loans and grants. In effect cost bases and tax liabilities have been cut to the bone thanks to the measures.

Making the 20% top up doable for many businesses not already in deep poo before COVID-19.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I thought the business applied to the government for a grant for 80% of their salary costs? So you would continue to be employed and the business pays you using that grant. Whether they pay you 100% is up to them I guess, but I would think the idea is that they should pay 100%.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

The advice is if your company has laid you off they can reverse their decision and they can back date to 1st March. The payment has to be applied for from HMRC by your employer then paid to you, topped up to 100% if they can.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Or does “staff who are not working” mean you have to be in an industry where the government have actually told you to stop working, i.e. waiters, barmen, gym instructors?

That is what it should be. Companies like Hays travel (the company that took on the Thomas Cook branches last year) who have had to put thousands of staff on zero hours contracts today, a decision that I would hope they will now be able to reverse.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here