Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Finance] ******** The Scam Thread *********

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Perhaps we could have a thread to inform each other what Scams are doing the rounds.
This morning I had a very realistic E mail from the TV Licence office saying they were having trouble with my direct debits and could I update details. Last month I did in fact change bank accounts. Beware it is a scam.
Perhaps keep all Scams to one thread.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Next door neighbour asked me about an email from "Microsoft" yesterday but just the usual phishing stuff.

Magic Sponge

Jun 17, 2011
House In The Hill
Had a couple of scam emails in the last 2 days, one from BT and one from TV Licensing, both saying that my direct debit could not be taken and with a link to renew my direct debit emails.
When I hovered over the email address where they were sent from both had a .be domain.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
wife had a pop on i phone saying it was infected with 13 viruses which would start to corrupt her photos and sim card. attached a link to disinfect it

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I've had a similar one for TV license, saying I had 2 days to pay it. I'm on dd, so knew it was fake.
For anyone that doesn't know, by hovering on the email address you or if your on a phone you can do a reply and then click on the sender and see who has sent it. It is usually very obvious if it is a scam, i.e with TV license, not from BBC.Com etc.

Sent from my WAS-LX1A using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I usually get e-mails from HMRC claiming I have a refund ( Quit being self employed about 6 years ago ), iTunes about my recent purchase ( never bought anything to do with Apple, ever ) and yes, the fake tv licence demand. Did have one which was a tad unusual though the other day, has something purporting to be from PayPal saying that my account had "Been temporarily suspended due to an unusual transaction " they handily had put a little link in the e-mail for me to click on to resolve this...

Today I have had several calls on my landline that are a bit dodgy, I rarely use it unless I'm stuck in a long call to insurers or banks etc so no one I know calls the number except spam or conmen. I just do the 1471, and look up the number on one of the number checking web sites.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Pretty safe to assume that just about anybody that rings a landline nowadays is a scammer :shrug:

Not in my house. Plenty of genuine callers on the landline. Mind you, we do have a shield, so scammers can't get through unless we invite them through!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Perhaps we could have a thread to inform each other what Scams are doing the rounds.
This morning I had a very realistic E mail from the TV Licence office saying they were having trouble with my direct debits and could I update details. Last month I did in fact change bank accounts. Beware it is a scam.
Perhaps keep all Scams to one thread.

Yep, I had that one a few months back, I mentioned it on NSC at the time. Very plausible, they copied the text/font of letters from the real authority.

I almost fell for it, as I was busy with work and I was rapidly dealing with all tedious emails, to reduce admin. Just a few clicks and characters away from authorising a DD to cnts.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
I believe I'm quoted in a report in the Mail on Sunday today about coronavirus scams - I'm in the industry. I'm not sure as I won't buy that toilet paper myself.
So you're a scammer then? [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Apparently hoax meter readers are going round saying that remote reading is off line and physical reading is necessary

My Mum has at last started taking it seriously, I have told her to open the door to no one....when I went to cut her grass today I knocked the door she shouted...'who is it' I said me...your son...Prove it she said!!!!

there have been reports in this area of scammers on OAP doorsteps......what sort of low lifes do we have on this earth?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Pretty safe to assume that just about anybody that rings a landline nowadays is a scammer :shrug:
No it isn't.

I use my landline because the current deal gives me free calls.

The mobile deal also gives me 500 minutes, but some some strange reason I prefer speaking on the landline. The quality tends to be better as well.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
No it isn't.

The mobile deal also gives me 500 minutes, but some some strange reason I prefer speaking on the landline. The quality tends to be better as well.

Only 500 minutes? What a swizz!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No it isn't.

My experience over the last 10 years is 90% of all callers to my landline are scammers. Three or four calls a day (when I was working at home). After I got call screening the phone would ring maybe twice a month. I have never had a scam call to my cellphone.

There again, I am exquisitely antisocial and yet almost impossible to shut up once a conversation has started. Back in the day I actually had a scammer hang up on me after my fifth or sixth question about his business model and why he was asking me certain questions if he apparently already had a big file on the 'householder'. ??? :drool:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here