Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] David Pleat Daily Mail and The BBC/R5.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The Mail or not and it's open to question but for me an excellent article. Given up on R5 for most sports so little hard news/facts just more like who has the biggest mouth. To think that many of us grew up with the likes of Harry Carpenter,Bill McLaren and a few others like Gary Richardson basically guys who did their and did it well. :clap2: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...nd-quality-theyre-danger-losing-audience.html

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The Daily Mail prints a lot of crap, but they also have some good journalists and sometimes the articles the print are good - like the one linked. The 'I'm- a-better-person-than-you-because-I-never-read -the-Daily-Mail' brigade sometimes make themselves look a bit foolish, and miss out on some interesting stuff. Like any other newspaper these days, there's good stuff and crap - intelligent people will filter for themselves.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
A really good piece, a lot of home truths.

[MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] do you remember Ian Wooldridge of the Daily Mail? A great amongst sports writers, along with Hugh McIlvanney.

Listen, I remember commentary by Eamonn Andrews with inter-round summaries by W. Barrington-Dalby!

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Listen, I remember commentary by Eamon Andrews with inter-round summaries by W. Barrington-Dalby!

My first commentators on boxing were Carpenter and Guttridge. Loving the sport, I was aware of Andrews former life as a boxing guy, with his radio commentaries beamed back to the UK of Marciano’s world title fights eg against Britain’s Don Cockell.

Another silky voiced legend was the amazing Cliff Morgan of rugby union fame. His commentary of the Barbarians v All Blacks match at Cardiff Arms Park in 1973 is a thing of beauty.

Goosebumps every time .... from the rugby and the commentary.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I've been listening to the football on the radio since I was very young - I remember lying in bed listening to it in the 1970s.

I do think that the relentless drive to try and capture the youth market is causing problems across BBC Radio - it's not just on 5Live. I understand why they are trying to do it: they don't want to become a station for just the oldies. But I think they are misguided in how they are doing it. Why not try and get the audience through quality rather than just trying to fill every demographic with the presenters?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Daily Mail prints a lot of crap, but they also have some good journalists and sometimes the articles the print are good - like the one linked. The 'I'm- a-better-person-than-you-because-I-never-read -the-Daily-Mail' brigade sometimes make themselves look a bit foolish, and miss out on some interesting stuff. Like any other newspaper these days, there's good stuff and crap - intelligent people will filter for themselves.

Does Martin Samuel still write for The Mail ? I used to love his writing.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Well put, I am not defending The D/M they have plenty of power enough to defend themselves ,yet like tou replied this a decent article,yet as we know it won't change.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is anyone going to actually cut and paste the wisdom of David 'doing business, love?' Pleat? Or is this going to be an endless thread riffing the virtues of the Mail and the good old days?

OK, I'll bite.

Bryon Butler and Peter Jones.

Jones once referred to Billy Bremner as a 'cheeky chappie'. Those were innocent times. Blue Peter with Val Singleton, then Top of the Pops with Jimmy Savile before a smashing commentary from Elland Road, as the Champions of England took on the might of Celtic in the semi final of the European Cup. Heady, innocent days.

Come on, someone tell us what Pleat has to say!

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Harry Carpenter,Mike Ingram (sorry for spelling} Sir Richie/B all keep it simple,

My view is that all commentators up to say the 90’s, and I’ve watched old events on cable, only described the events in front of them.

Pearce, Fletcher and all the modern commentators fill voids with hyperbole. To use football as an example, say ManC or Liverpool go an early goal down, or can’t break a solid defence for just 20 minutes, the zzzzz big picture narrative starts dominating commentary: “This really will be huge blow to their title hopes”, “What a great defensive performance orchestrated by Eddie Howe, this will really boost their survival hopes”. 60 minutes later, a convincing win for the team that Pearce or Fletcher deemed were getting a huge blow to their season’s hope.

Their predecessors didn’t do that.

We often turn down the sound to low, to cut out their waffle.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is anyone going to actually cut and paste the wisdom of David 'doing business, love?' Pleat? Or is this going to be an endless thread riffing the virtues of the Mail and the good old days?

OK, I'll bite.

Jones once referred to Billy Bremner as a 'cheeky chappie'. Those were innocent times. Blue Peter with Val Singleton, then Top of the Pops with Jimmy Savile before a smashing commentary from Elland Road, as the Champions of England took on the might of Celtic in the semi final of the European Cup. Heady, innocent days.

Oh go on! Lower yourself - click on the link and read the Daily Mail article for yourself! We won't tell .............................

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I've been listening to the football on the radio since I was very young - I remember lying in bed listening to it in the 1970s.

I do think that the relentless drive to try and capture the youth market is causing problems across BBC Radio - it's not just on 5Live. I understand why they are trying to do it: they don't want to become a station for just the oldies. But I think they are misguided in how they are doing it. Why not try and get the audience through quality rather than just trying to fill every demographic with the presenters?

Aye.....with certain shows like the geezer that does the afternoon slot ...I’m definitely not in their target audience range anymore.

With you re listening to the football on the radio in bed during the 70’s not much of it on but some very good commentators ....and then the music for 5pm on a Saturday ...lovely

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My view is that all commentators up to say the 90’s, and I’ve watched old events on cable, only described the events in front of them.

Pearce, Fletcher and all the modern commentators fill voids with hyperbole. To use football as an example, say ManC or Liverpool go an early goal down, or can’t break a solid defence for just 20 minutes, the zzzzz big picture narrative starts dominating commentary: “This really will be huge blow to their title hopes”, “What a great defensive performance orchestrated by Eddie Howe, this will really boost their survival hopes”. 60 minutes later, a convincing win for the team that Pearce or Fletcher deemed were getting a huge blow to their season’s hope.

It’s not just the current bunch it’s the ‘expert’ next to them talking bll*

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014

OK, I'll bite.

Is 'Cheeky chappie' a bad phrase now ?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Oh go on! Lower yourself - click on the link and read the Daily Mail article for yourself! We won't tell .............................

Truth is the Daily Mail does have some good writers and decent articles.

It's the rotten undercurrent of its editorial direction, and the attitude of many of its readers, that makes me dislike it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

It's probably a personal fault, but I found the opinionated commentary of the Irishman (name momentarily escapes me but you know who I mean) a breath of fresh air.

"This is like watching paint dry" he once said. Crikey, that's honest, I thought. And I loved his Fergy baiting, and the fact Fergy refused R5 interviews because of him.

Likewise on 606 I have grown to like the man of bronze and the norfolk bumpkin who is actually better than that.

Telly commentators and pundits have improved. I posted on here some years ago, after watching a life-shortening game, that the two blokes on the microphones sounded like a couple of stroke victims discussing last year's oninion crop while sitting in a shed in an allotment, having quaffed DDT instead of the rough sherry they'd brought along with them, by mistake.

The ones still shit really are shit though. How not to do a commentary:

"Frank Lampard's Chelsea are on the attack.....his father in law played for, and managed West Ham, which shows what a close knit community football actually is. Of course Frank also started at West Ham, where he is still held in some affection. What a strike! One nil Liverpool. We didn't see that coming."

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The Daily Mail prints a lot of crap,

you could end the post there. of course they have good journalists, and time to time have a good article, like the rest of the tabloids. but they also pander to sensationalism over straightforward reporting of events. its deeply ironic for them to run a piece critical of the quality of other media.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is 'Cheeky chappie' a bad phrase now ?

Billy Bremner, as you may well recall, was a chain smoking assassin, an elbows and knees merchant (not quite as bad as Giles, mind you), a punch in the face if the ref isn't watching, merchant. A 'there's a drink in this if you go easy' merchant. A hacker down from behind. A winner, a man you'd want beside you. A player. A leader.

He was anything but a cheeky chappie. :lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here