Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Bad movies

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
One of my distraction strategies: watching bad movies.

Some 10-15 years ago I was very interested in bad movies. I had read rumours about lots of suicides when filming "'Manos': The hands of fate" and when I found it I thought it was hilarious.

In the 90s there was an American tv show called Mystery Science Theatre 3000 that each week watched a bad movie (yes, the whole), "riffing" them throughout - some find the MST3K cast incredibly annoying, some like me are quite fond of them.

Heres a few favorites:

Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966)

Hal Warren was some kind of businessman who made a bet with Stirling Siliphant that he could make and have success with a movie with a very small budget. He cast himself as the "hero" (well...) and had friends and family play the other roles.

Movie is a cult movie for several reasons: the Frank Zappa-like "Master" character, the fact that the guy who played "Torgo" was on acid for the whole shooting and suicided before the premiere - and that the movie just stinks in a sometimes hilarious way. Its a bit rough at times as some parts of the movie is just painfully slow with or without MST3K riffing, but really catches on in the second half.

It is the Godfather of bad movies and can be seen here (MST3K edition):
(movie begins 16:30, though the short movie before it is pretty nice as well)

Space Mutiny (1988)

One of the worst movies especially if you consider it had a fairly decent budget. The movie is (of course) very bad, but the character gallery is just fantastic and you could see how the director really wanted it to be... Starwarsesque. Its a fairly easy watch considering there's a lot of things going on.

(movie begins around 8 minute)

Prince of Space (1959)

Japanese sci-fi. Its something about black & white movies that I find hard to watch, but this is excellent in is badness. Dumb plot, dumb characters and a lot of 50's sci-fi special effects and models. Its golden.

(movie begins 6:00 or so)

While I've seen hundreds and hundreds of bad movies - both MST3K riffed and without - I always want more, so if anyone got some good badies I want em.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Gigli

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
One of my distraction strategies: watching bad movies.

Some 10-15 years ago I was very interested in bad movies. I had read rumours about lots of suicides when filming "'Manos': The hands of fate" and when I found it I thought it was hilarious.

In the 90s there was an American tv show called Mystery Science Theatre 3000 that each week watched a bad movie (yes, the whole), "riffing" them throughout - some find the MST3K cast incredibly annoying, some like me are quite fond of them.

Heres a few favorites:

Manos: The Hands of Fate (1966)

Hal Warren was some kind of businessman who made a bet with Stirling Siliphant that he could make and have success with a movie with a very small budget. He cast himself as the "hero" (well...) and had friends and family play the other roles.

Movie is a cult movie for several reasons: the Frank Zappa-like "Master" character, the fact that the guy who played "Torgo" was on acid for the whole shooting and suicided before the premiere - and that the movie just stinks in a sometimes hilarious way. Its a bit rough at times as some parts of the movie is just painfully slow with or without MST3K riffing, but really catches on in the second half.

It is the Godfather of bad movies and can be seen here (MST3K edition):
(movie begins 16:30, though the short movie before it is pretty nice as well)

Space Mutiny (1988)

One of the worst movies especially if you consider it had a fairly decent budget. The movie is (of course) very bad, but the character gallery is just fantastic and you could see how the director really wanted it to be... Starwarsesque. Its a fairly easy watch considering there's a lot of things going on.

(movie begins around 8 minute)

Prince of Space (1959)

Japanese sci-fi. Its something about black & white movies that I find hard to watch, but this is excellent in is badness. Dumb plot, dumb characters and a lot of 50's sci-fi special effects and models. Its golden.

(movie begins 6:00 or so)

While I've seen hundreds and hundreds of bad movies - both MST3K riffed and without - I always want more, so if anyone got some good badies I want em.
Prince of Space is an absolute classic MST3K riff.... " I have no special powers but I can skip remarkably well"... " I refer you to my previous statement that your weapons are useless against me...."

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
The Perfect Storm

I paid £2 for the VHS of it years ago, it still remains the worst money I've ever spent.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
An intentionally bad movie, which is quite good if you like bad movies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFYwz24ii4w

And a truly terrible amateur? movie. I mean if any actor in this was payed for their performance, I would be surpris ed. Imagine, Raiders of the Lost Ark blended with Da Vinci Code, set in Yorkshire, and performed by terrible actors with a 50p budget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKBucPZUHcA

“Martin, I ain’t bein’ funny but I reckon you’re onto summat massive here” :)

Wow. How did someone not throw the towel in during filming? They can’t have thought this would turn out well?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here