Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hows Your Head?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Interestingly I've heard and/or read a few times from those who are often anxious and they are coping just fine. The rationale was that for those who regularly suffer with anxiety, this situation is kinda normal for them. For those who don't suffer anxiety, this is all a bit WTF?!?

As an anxiety-prone person I totally identify with this.
Monotony and too much time to think are what brings me down.
People with depression/anxiety often rise to the occasion in a crisis.
Don’t get me wrong It is still WTF, but feeling WTF is familiar territory and I (and I’m sure other anxious types) have learned not to jump to worst case scenarios.
To all other anxiety-prone types I would say, set the example to those who are struggling. You know how to handle this.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Feeling pretty much the same as OP . Taxi business after 14 years disappeared over night just so scared frightened I’m 50 ffs . Looking out the window and seeing both my vehicles parked up hurts . Every Xmas day in 14 years to try and better myself . Spent 2 hours 40 mins on phone trying to get through to Santander before giving up .Tick Tock in your head driving me crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I have been inspired by the words of wisdom and honesty on this thread, I have been keeping in contact with a group of individuals I know who are all in their own way more vunerable than most to the effects of Coronavirus just checking they are ok and if in need of anything offering to do what I can, as an NHS retired employee I two weeks ago put my name forward to return as a volunteer if and when required.

I have been infuriated by some individuals what appears to me to be a total disregard for others well being the panic buying, still meeting in groups, still going to pubs and clubs some of these individuals are members of my family !

Last night I just could not rest and got up at around 02:30 sitting alone I was able to rationalise things a little and in doing so realised I am becoming to engrossed in this constant bombardment of 24 hour news relating to the pandemic and so decided to take a 24 hour break not to watch or listen to the news.

Instead I have spent the last six hours watching and listening to only things that will make me smile and it's working a treat.

Dear NSC I hardly advise a little R&R to all of you, save your mind and think of you for once

Instead I

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
As an anxiety-prone person I totally identify with this.
Monotony and too much time to think are what brings me down.
People with depression/anxiety often rise to the occasion in a crisis.
Don’t get me wrong It is still WTF, but feeling WTF is familiar territory and I (and I’m sure other anxious types) have learned not to jump to worst case scenarios.
To all other anxiety-prone types I would say, set the example to those who are struggling. You know how to handle this.

I think for me, the numbers that are scaring people are actually reassuring me. Irrational anxiety assumes that 100% something is wrong. Whereas the 1% figure can be processed and dealt with. Not logical but seems a common theme on this thread. All I can suggest is as many distractions as possible. Brain taxing is good so Crosswords, Suduko, logic puzzles. My colleague recommends the game 2048 as working for him (Drives me nuts though)

https://2048game.com/

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I'm not feeling great but definitely plenty have it worse than me. I'm NHS in an IT / Information rules and have been asked to work at home until further notice due to underlying health issues. So I think I'll cope with the relative isolation OK partly due to you guys. Frustrated that normal life and its diversions are on hold. For me , its a few Albion matches, theatre visits, gigs, weekends away up the swanee and I'm missing the sport in particular.
I'm worried about what I'll come out to. I can't visit my parents in Sussex. Dad's in a care home and they have (rightly) stopped visits - worried about my Mum. Usually I go to cardiac rehab once a week which is some gym work then a tea or coffee. That's been stopped and I'm worried what the toll will be on that group as many have multiple co-morbidities. I do some voluntary work effectively befriending but that is on hold as well - so just phone calls instead. Yes, I'm worried about what my life will look like afterwards - and everyone else's as well

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The virus itself does not scare me but the social and economic impact is going to be extremely damaging. On a personal level lost a downsizing house sale owing to it and now was due for my fixed term contract to go permanent and now talk of recruitment freezes and non renewal of contracts. A few weeks ago things were looking up now looking a bit concerning so will be treading water for a bit.

In no way are my circumstances anywhere near as bad as what many other families and business are going through right now and my sympathies are with them. I think the mental health of this country is going to be the next health crisis we have on our hands once life starts to return to normal.

brianwade

Jan 31, 2008
How is your head right now? How are you feeling?

To be honest, I'm struggling a wee bit. Staying strong for the kids, wife etc but I found myself in tears while watching the 10 o'clock news last night and I feel constantly under pressure. I'm sure I'll be OK but I admit that I am feeling a bit over whelmed. We have food, we have everything we need but something is nagging at the back of my head. Maybe I have watched and read to many "End of the world" books and films? NSC has helped to keep me smiling (Thank you all for that) but without football the void that it filled in my life seems now to be filling up with fear and confusion. Sorry if that sound a little over dramatic but it's how I feel today. Any advice welcome!

Anyone need to open up, go for it. No judgments here, just support please.

I feel better already just sharing that small amount on here, thanks NSC.

You can have to see this as an opportunity to change some things in your life .
Firstly ignore this constant drumbeat of depressing news - remember there was no news last year when 17,000 people died from the flu in the UK . Yes this is worse and the numbers could be bigger but it is still an overreaction.
Secondly there is nothing you can do about it apart form keeping clean and sanitised .
Thirdly you owe it to your family to man up - this will not last forever and you need to be "oven ready " when things do get back to normal.
So set your self some targets , personal challenges and do something different with your extra time .
Good look and be positive

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I know how the op feels right now. The pressure is extreme. And time moves painfully slow.
I am working from home with my missus, her mum who is over from Spain on a visit that extended, and our 2 year old. The missus and mum are not good to be together as they feed off of each other's anxiety, so there is a constant of bleach-based rules and regulations, of how politicians aren't to be trusted, of how death approaches, of how i, with my more relaxed approach to this, will be the one who brings death to us and our boy. It is a worrying time, but i don't want to join them in their doom-clad thinking as it's an impenetrable negative thinking that does not thunder me forwards. I feel a tad bludgeoned by them, and ensnared, when all i want to do is pop out for a wee walk, and get some fresh air and movement.
I actually did yesterday, and it did feel wonderful and freeing. It was drizzly and dark, but i let myself soggily meander in it, agreeably avoiding contact or close quarters as i shimmied through the occasional crowd of 2. I will try to do so again today or tomorrow, perhaps even cheekily going into a shop to fetch nappies for Meade Jr, who is bored, even with he and i trying to catch sight of foxes from the apartment balcony we are permitted to board.

The level of anxiety i am dealing with is as follows:
my brother bought the family a facebook portal each, ever so generously. The missus is trying to ban use as she doesn't want facebook recording our lives. I have tried to reassure her, but she insists, therefore cutting off communications with me and my family. I plan to set it up tomorrow morning.
my brother drove up yesterday with supplies, and from the balcony i thanked him. I was told not to talk to him about a bothersome bug i currently have, as the neighbours might hear and our renting this flat might be threatened. I carried on talking.

I think i hoped one worry would quash another. But no, they just build. And it is very hard to have your own worries when someone else's are so loud and ungiving.

joydivisionovengloves

Aug 10, 2019
N/E Somerset
I decided early doors this week when my work was cancelled for the foreseeable future, that to keep my anxiety and depression at bay I need to have structure to my day. My default setting when it kicks in is to stop doing anything, sleep loads and generally let myself go.( It's quite easy to get away with this when you live on your own in the middle of nowhere !! )
So I decided that the way to see it is Ive been given a whole amount of time to get a whole load of stuff done.
I've been doing my place up for a few years so theres a list of jobs as long as my arm that I can get on with.

It's hard and I really have to fight to get going some days especially if its pissing down outside but so far this week I've built a shed, started painting my fences , made bread, made soup to freeze and last night made cheese, leek and potato pasties that are ****ing delicious.
Now I know that that probably sounds a bit trite but it really does help, keep busy, even if it's just reading that book you got for Christmas and haven't got round to yet.
And. as its been said before, keep your news viewing to a minimum. Check the headlines in the morning then let it go.

Stay in contact with friends and family, call them, don't just text.

If you're worried about finances talk to your bank and mortgage providers asap, one less thing to worry about if you get al that sorted.

Basically apart from the obvious precautions theres not a lot we can do about this, so go with it, hey, we've all got the spring and summer off.

Good luck and good mental health to you ( to quote Frasier )

x

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Feeling a bit weird personally.

I've always thought myself to be quite introverted and not really requiring much social contact but after five days working from home I'm beginning to question if that's true. I have my daily catch-up calls in the morning with my team but then I'm basically alone until my girlfriend comes home.

It's odd. I can definitely feel that as the weeks go on I'm going to have to work out some way to combat this.

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
It is a lot to get your head around. We are self isolating at home with our two year old as he had symptoms. The highlight of the day is taking him out for a walk in the buggy. Both working from home and looking after the little un is a challenge. The biggest challenge is how much fireman Sam I have watched recently. I do think though that we as a nation will come out of this stronger, with a better appreciation of the liberty we all have in normal circumstances. On the plus side we are getting to spend more time as a family, although not in ideal circumstances, I still consider it to be a blessing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
I'm young and have luckily had a comfortable life so far. Been feeling fine with things until I went to the supermarket a couple days ago and there was **** all on the shelves. A switch flicked in my head and I felt some real panic coming on as it hit me how big this thing is.

Went home and went for a run and have been feeling a bit better since, still not sleeping well though. I think some of the problem stems from having some absolute weapons on my FB who love posting conspiracy theories and unverified nonsense. Someone who is involved with Karatbars (Pyramid scheme, buying tiny bits of gold & crypto) was posting about how gold companies have stopped sales and how this means the monetary system is about to collapse.

Normally I just read his bollocks and have a good chuckle to myself but this time I couldn't get the feeling of panic out of my head.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
My daughter works in mental health and this situation is pushing her patients over the edge with self harming and unable to to look after themselves . Some have no family support . She came in tears.

zefarelly

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Unaffected thus far, but being careful, trying to be considerate, but mostly just angry at idiotic panic monkeys being extremely selfish and making life difficult and unpleasant for others.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Been a bit depressed trying to buy meat for the little one. 3 trips, no joy. Must be the oldies buying it all up in their exclusive hour. Will try again after work. :nono:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Interestingly I've heard and/or read a few times from those who are often anxious and they are coping just fine. The rationale was that for those who regularly suffer with anxiety, this situation is kinda normal for them. For those who don't suffer anxiety, this is all a bit WTF?!?

This is me.

Getting a handle on it now, albeit a long way from alright. But by crikey, when it hit me I just wasn't ready, and have struggled very badly.

Mostly sailed through life until now.

I need to fight something...or run away from something. Not sit here are trying to avoid the news (which is key!) and trying not to shout at my family when they aren't taking it seriously enough.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This " self isolation " is not a big issue for me as luckily I am very anti social

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Mrs Saladpack and I aren't at all religious, but she found this prayer on the front of a leaflet from a church in Worthing. Puts things in perspective and I found it helped a colleague of mine who really struggles with anxiety, usually about things going on in the world over which she has no control. "May we who are merely inconvenienced remember those whose lives are at stake. May we who have no risk factors remember those most vulnerable. May those who have the luxury of working from home remember those who must choose between preserving their health and making the rent. May those who have the flexibility to care for their children when their schools close remember those who have no options. May those who have to cancel trips remember those who have no safe place to go. May those losing their "margin" money in the tumult of the economic market remember those who have no margin at all. May those settling in for quarantine at home remember those who have no home. As fear grips our country let us choose Love. During this time when we cannot physically wrap our arms around each other, let us yet find ways to be the loving embrace of God to our neighbours". Personally I have no affiliation to any religion but thanks to the good folk at St. Matthew's for a timely and sobering little prayer. I'm sure their Christian kindness will stop them taking legal action against me for reproducing it here for the benefit of my fellow NSCers!

Thanks for sharing that. It's what "Christian" should be all about.

And I think the good folk at St Matthew's will be absolutely delighted that you have shared it, and NOT because of the possibility if it converting people, BUT because it might bring sone crumb of comfort to even more people.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here