Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Hows Your Head?

Panic! At The Amex Tom Hark, Preston Park's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry Nylon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Muesli? Where the **** did you get muesli from?
    Keep it to yourself but there's a Muesli Mountain in Brighton *taps nose*
    Buy The Ticket,Take The Ride - Hunter S. Thompson

• North Stand Chat

advertising

1 Not allowed!
      I find I'm snapping at the wife and kids today and none of it is their fault. Kitchen is nice and clean though as I've just gone in there to get a bit of a break and I'm about to go and do some washing to keep my mind off things. Although I find myself counting how many sheets of kitchen roll I'm using incase I can't get any more.

I'm avoiding the news but then the wife decides to show me the queues at all of the supermarkets which is setting me off, my best friend and his 2 year old are self isolating as well now so it's becoming quite real.
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      II massively limit news consumption now - I haven't watched news on the TV for over a week now. I catch a couple of hourly news updates on the radio - they are short, but provide the key points.
      Quote Originally Posted by BLOCK F View Post
      Limiting ones exposure to the news is absolutely key, especially if one is prone to anxiety.
      Quote Originally Posted by Guinness Boy View Post
      I struggled massively on Monday when the scale of everything became clear but have coped a lot better recently...Avoid the news. I'm not watching TV news
      For anyone struggling. I would say avoiding the news and the style of news reporting is key. If this country had been exposed to this level and type of news reporting during WWII then I reckon the nation would have crumbled. Of course, I'm not advocating that the government pump out Pathe style propaganda, but it was recognised in WWII that managing the message and the morale of the masses was as important as fighting the enemy.

Therefore, it is important that anyone who feels they are struggling to manage the message for themselves.

13 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
      Keep it to yourself but there's a Muesli Mountain in Brighton *taps nose*
      YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO TAP YOUR ****ING NOSE ANY MORE
      Brighton But Only At Home

It's a blog. About home games. And some other stuff.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      It's all a bit weird. History is happening all around us all the time, but we don't notice until macro events like this change our way of life suddenly. Take solace that we're all in the same boat. Nobody knows what is happening from moment to moment. Try to resist the need to have to. Previous generations got by in difficult circumstances without getting live updates of the latest events. Try to get off social media: In the absence of real news, speculation will fill the gap. Turn to the sources who will be very sure of themselves before publishing and treat them like a print newspaper, getting an update once a day and then forgetting them until tomorrow, instead getting on with the stuff that you can control: Working, loving and looking after your family. I think we all have to try to give our days a bit of structure, especially if there are kids around, routine to them is essential.

To fill the hole left by football, perhaps turn to something you have loved before. I've started The Wire from the beginning: that's sixty hours. Or maybe take the chance to read something you've always meant to. If you haven't got books, a lot of the classics are reproduced free on: https://www.gutenberg.org/. Dickens, Austen, Hardy, Poe, Melville, Shakespeare, Wodehouse, anybody old enough to be out of copyright.

1 Not allowed!
      There is some genuine good advice here brothers. Stay strong.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-51873799
      They know what is what,
      But they don't know what is what,
      They just strut.

0 Not allowed!
      Turn the news off, shut the curtains, whack these two on. Volume up, then get on with the rest of the day feeling refreshed, clear and focused.

There, feel better already.

Members

0 Not allowed!
      All fine here. Hlping some old folks where i can but not drawn into the blind panic as that is well over the top.

Its a situation and one that will get through. No pant pissing needed
      Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      It’s why i started a Covid free day thread..and then got told i was putting my head in the sand

Lots of good ideas from posters which will help me too..nice too know you aren’t on your own

1 Not allowed!
      Everyone struggling has my full sympathy as I know what a bitch anxiety can be. It just makes it all the more bizarre that I seem to be coping a lot better than the majority when I have a history of anxiety and more specifically, health anxiety. I know the cause of mine was three urgent referrals in the last 3 years - all of them precautionary but still not fun - my dad being diagnosed with bowel cancer (Now clear), my friend dying quickly of cancer and I think the one that sealed it was a lady I played stoolball with and who was a year younger than me and a fit person, collapsing and dying of a heart attack. It has now made me a hyper hypochondriac about the smallest thing and it basically manifests itself in my brain tensing the part of the body it is worrying about and then giving you pain/discomfort in that area to nag you constantly. I know it is irrational, I know what the brain is doing, but I can't control it.

However, this actual health concern has me a lot less jittery. I am tense, worried for my and my girlfriend's parents and my asthmatic nephew but I am able to not dwell on it. And I have no idea why.

My guess is that those of you who don't normally worry about such things are finding it hard because you aren't used to those feelings. Hopefully as it is just a natural fight or flight reaction and not irrational, you can find a way to combat it. It is a rational fear, not an irrational one that I suffer from. Most of my time is spent arguing with myself, telling my subconscious I know what its game is. That is the cycle that is very difficult to break.

I did a course of CBT last year which, whilst it didn't really fix my issues, it did help to explain them. The arguing with yourself is actually reassurance. But all it does is repeat the cycle. The aim of CBT is sort of like immersion therapy - you are led through a scenario of your fears in order to deal with the feelings rather than think about how you would deal with them. I believe the idea is that you shouldn't or can't stop yourself worrying. It is something the brain needs to do. You need to allow yourself time to worry so your brain can deal with it and then let it go. Easier said than done but the advice about going pretty much cold turkey on the news is a good one. Keep yourself up to date once a day and then try and do activities that won't involve the subject coming up.
      RICHARD SWIVELLER, a good-hearted, though somewhat queer young man