Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hows Your Head?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Everyone struggling has my full sympathy as I know what a bitch anxiety can be. It just makes it all the more bizarre that I seem to be coping a lot better than the majority when I have a history of anxiety and more specifically, health anxiety.

Interestingly I've heard and/or read a few times from those who are often anxious and they are coping just fine. The rationale was that for those who regularly suffer with anxiety, this situation is kinda normal for them. For those who don't suffer anxiety, this is all a bit WTF?!?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Interestingly I've heard and/or read a few times from those who are often anxious and they are coping just fine. The rationale was that for those who regularly suffer with anxiety, this situation is kinda normal for them. For those who don't suffer anxiety, this is all a bit WTF?!?
As I said on the anxiety thread, I can deal with real emergencies - it is the irrational fears you can't deal with. We are used to worrying and have methods to try and cope with it. But those worries are theoretical and in our heads. You try and reassure yourself but keep getting a "What If?" coming back. When the worries are real and being dealt with and discussed with others then the reassurance seems to work. We know what we are supposed to do, what the risks are and can just get on with it. I am genuinely more worried about getting something else seriously wrong in the next few months and not being able to see a doctor. Welcome to the messed up head of an anxiety sufferer.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
How is your head right now? How are you feeling?

To be honest, I'm struggling a wee bit. Staying strong for the kids, wife etc but I found myself in tears while watching the 10 o'clock news last night and I feel constantly under pressure. I'm sure I'll be OK but I admit that I am feeling a bit over whelmed. We have food, we have everything we need but something is nagging at the back of my head. Maybe I have watched and read to many "End of the world" books and films? NSC has helped to keep me smiling (Thank you all for that) but without football the void that it filled in my life seems now to be filling up with fear and confusion. Sorry if that sound a little over dramatic but it's how I feel today. Any advice welcome!

Anyone need to open up, go for it. No judgments here, just support please.

I feel better already just sharing that small amount on here, thanks NSC.

Exactly how I feel. Especially the nagging at the back of my head.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I've actually just thought of a good analogy to explain it. You could have a Heavyweight boxer with a fear of spiders. He isn't scared of entering the ring with a similar sized man trying to hurt him but is scared of a tiny creature that can't hurt him. The human brain is very good at irrational as phobias show but I have no idea why.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
The fitness bit is great advice. No real risk if going out for a brisk walk as long as you're not mixing with many others. Feels good and avoids having to listen to the news. Like many others I just listen to the 5min summary on the radio once a day and be sensible.

I have found focusing on the coronovirus good news thread has been helpful. Thinking about all those thousands of people across the world looking for a remedy or a vaccine offers some comfort to me. Any news of any breakthroughs, and there have been several, is something to give us all hope that things will get better.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
Mrs Saladpack and I aren't at all religious, but she found this prayer on the front of a leaflet from a church in Worthing. Puts things in perspective and I found it helped a colleague of mine who really struggles with anxiety, usually about things going on in the world over which she has no control. "May we who are merely inconvenienced remember those whose lives are at stake. May we who have no risk factors remember those most vulnerable. May those who have the luxury of working from home remember those who must choose between preserving their health and making the rent. May those who have the flexibility to care for their children when their schools close remember those who have no options. May those who have to cancel trips remember those who have no safe place to go. May those losing their "margin" money in the tumult of the economic market remember those who have no margin at all. May those settling in for quarantine at home remember those who have no home. As fear grips our country let us choose Love. During this time when we cannot physically wrap our arms around each other, let us yet find ways to be the loving embrace of God to our neighbours". Personally I have no affiliation to any religion but thanks to the good folk at St. Matthew's for a timely and sobering little prayer. I'm sure their Christian kindness will stop them taking legal action against me for reproducing it here for the benefit of my fellow NSCers!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Spot on Mikey.
If I'm in the car I put music on rather than the news programmes and as I am retired and spend a lot of time at home,I do my favourite crossword, catch up on some good TV programmes I have previously missed, do the garden etc. etc.
Limiting ones exposure to the news is absolutely key, especially if one is prone to anxiety.
Best wishes to you and your family, whatever your circumstances.

Bingo! Yeah, I like my Radio 2 but definitely have to turn off 12-2, Nihal on R5 but not even that at the moment, stick the music on shuffle and think of better times :)

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
You might have seen before but it’s a good way to put into perspective (albeit we have a long way to go). Also would be good to see by %age of,population, which would make the comparison even more extreme

C16962D7-D36D-4AE7-987C-F59BFCFB75E5.jpeg

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
As someone who has battled social anxiety his whole life this is business as usual, I’ve always avoided pubs and crowded places (the Amex excepted) so life hasn’t changed all that much in that sense. Perversely though, I’ve no anxiety over the virus whatsoever, not even for family, as I’m sure we’ll be fine. The mind works in mysterious ways.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
It's difficult, really difficult.

I massively limit news consumption now - I haven't watched news on the TV for over a week now. I catch a couple of hourly news updates on the radio - they are short, but provide the key points.

Get outside whenever you can, ideally somewhere predominantly green. I have a dog so need to walk him 3 or 4 times a day and I run once a day too (sometimes combining a dog walk and a run) - it really helps to clear the head and lift spirits.

Read, listen to and watch light-hearted stuff that will make you smile and laugh.

Good advice but maybe extend it to threads on here, you have started about 6 threads on CV in the last couple of weeks or so. :)

Bingo! Yeah, I like my Radio 2 but definitely have to turn off 12-2, Nihal on R5 but not even that at the moment, stick the music on shuffle and think of better times :)

Very wise to avoid Jeremy Vine! Just stick to Planet Rock and spotify on random. I find shuffle playing classic '60's soul - Motown, Stax and the rest - raises the spirits even though I am a (old) rocker at heart. There is even a "Hungry Years" playlist on Spotify for those who remember good times there.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I rarely suffer from anxiety though I can get stressed at work (I don’t show it so colleagues think I don’t). I’m a bit wary of offering advice as I don’t want to be seen as taking the piss.
However.
1. Exercise where possible. There are plenty of YouTube clips of things you can do at home.
2. Try not to worry about things you can’t influence. Accept there is nothing you can do about it. Concentrate on things you can influence.
3. Don’t try and analyse each and every possible scenario as it will overwhelm you. If you do then give each one a score on how likely/unlikely it is too happen. It’s about perspective.
4. Listen to music, watch films etc. Try to keep away from ‘slasher’ or the ‘we are all going to die’ genres.
5. You are not alone and there are people who you can talk too. Samaritans etc. If anyone wants to pm me for a chat please feel free. I suspect that many on here would also be happy too.
6. Look for the humour in the given situation .... it’s there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
My work takes me away from it and I just listen to music all day.
Wife fills me in on things when I get back.
She has it on most of the morning and just hears the same stuff repeated over and over again, so switches off after a while.
I watch on the evening news to update and then either go and do something or switch over to other stations, Netflix, etc.
Not panicking for anything and just taking it in our stride, along with the 3 kids, who are young adults now.
Streets are emptier than usual and that makes driving around much better.
I have never been someone who panics and prefer to be more balanced and calculated.
Things happen all the time, though the scale of somethings are much larger than others and you just have to get around it the best way possible.
Not having control can be a problem for some at the moment, but things will get better, it will just take a little time, so hang in there.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I can't stand the sensationalising, it drives me crazy.
Though over here if a starfish washed up dead on the beach it would be headline news !

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Keep away from the updates. I just check what's going on at the beginning of the day and late afternoon. The reality is pretty grim, but there are lighter sides. My Spanish daughter-in-law has put a couple of videos on my WhatsApp which I would share if I could. It's a street of people in her home village, singing and dancing to music on their balconies - very European and very uplifting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here