Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hows Your Head?

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
How is your head right now? How are you feeling?

To be honest, I'm struggling a wee bit. Staying strong for the kids, wife etc but I found myself in tears while watching the 10 o'clock news last night and I feel constantly under pressure. I'm sure I'll be OK but I admit that I am feeling a bit over whelmed. We have food, we have everything we need but something is nagging at the back of my head. Maybe I have watched and read to many "End of the world" books and films? NSC has helped to keep me smiling (Thank you all for that) but without football the void that it filled in my life seems now to be filling up with fear and confusion. Sorry if that sound a little over dramatic but it's how I feel today. Any advice welcome!

Anyone need to open up, go for it. No judgments here, just support please.

I feel better already just sharing that small amount on here, thanks NSC.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Watching footage from Italy yesterday nearly bought me to tears.
Realising we are on course for similar is frightening

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

To be honest, I'm struggling a wee bit. Staying strong for the kids, wife etc but I found myself in tears while watching the 10 o'clock news last night and I feel constantly under pressure. I'm sure I'll be OK but I admit that I am feeling a bit over whelmed. We have food, we have everything we need but something is nagging at the back of my head. Maybe I have watched and read to many "End of the world" books and films? NSC has helped to keep me smiling (Thank you all for that) but without football the void that it filled in my life seems now to be filling up with fear and confusion. Sorry if that sound a little over dramatic but it's how I feel today. Any advice welcome!

Best advice I can give, honestly, is really limit the amount of news you watch. Maybe a quick catch up online then leave it, if you're struggling with a bit of anxiety you need to focus your mind on more positive stuff.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Feeling much the same. Very much a roller coaster of, we have food & security to impending disaster.

Again, I blame a constant stream of zombie books, movies and games for both preparedness and panic.

Things going to be tough but we will get through.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Feeling much the same. Very much a roller coaster of, we have food & security to impending disaster.

Again, I blame a constant stream of zombie books, movies and games for both preparedness and panic.

Things going to be tough but we will get through.
It’s hardly the walking dead...yet

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
When I let my thoughts linger too long on "what if..." scenarios, yes I get anxious. I think I'm just one of those people who does always fear the worst, I spent all night Sunday lying awake worrying that we'd get bumped from our flight home from Spain (we didn't).

It helps me to keep busy with something so when things start getting back to normal (and they will for the vast majority of us) the wife won't have any "little jobs" for me to do

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Watching footage from Italy yesterday nearly bought me to tears.
Realising we are on course for similar is frightening

There is no proof we will get in the same situation as Italy

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany

Over here in sunny Germany we are a little further down the line already..
It is tough, both working from home, or at least trying, with 2 kids under 6 years old keeping us company due to schools and playschools being closed.
Try to watch something other than Corona news all the time..And try to join a few light-hearted chats on the various forums and social media sites.. All work and doom and gloom is enough to make anyone struggle.
No judgement from my side, its tough for a lot of us!

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Life can be tough no doubt but hope is something we can’t live without.
Hope and human decency in a tough tough time will see us through.
Make sure you talk to people about how you feel don’t bottle up anything. We all need to be here for each other

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
There is no proof we will get in the same situation as Italy

This is true. I’m no expert and don’t purport to be, however Italy’s main problem is that their outbreak is predominantly concentrated in specific areas; areas where the age demographic is particularly high. This is what has overwhelmed healthcare services there. They also had the disadvantage of being the first nation outside to be majorly affected and therefore lacked the crystal ball that other countries have had.

In the UK, it appears that London will be our epicentre. Transmission outside of the capital is much more evenly distributed; that’s of no comfort to London of course however the crucial thing is that the city has the youngest demographic in the country by far. This will hopefully make a big, positive difference to the outcome.

London also has far higher proportion of residents aged between 25-34, especially in Inner London where they make up 24% of the population.
https://www.trustforlondon.org.uk/data/topics/population-geography/

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am in Australia and both a Primary school teacher and a father of three kids with additional needs (a mix of Autism, ADHD and high levels of anxiety).

Our schools over here are still open and there is little indication that the government want that to change anytime soon. Although I am not convinced that this the best way forward (I suspect we will keep our kids home from next week) I am finding that the relative normality of life at the moment is keeping me grounded and focussing on keeping work and home 'business as normal'. I am trying to stick to the day at a time, one step in front of the other and try and find a laugh where i can.

I have left a couple of facebook groups about COVID 19 and am trying to be descerning about where i get my info from. It is so easy to end up down a rabbit hole of conspiracy theories and misinformation. I don't think any good can come from this.

I think we need to keep posting, keep bickering and keep lauging. NSC Should be a godsend at this time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Avoiding wall to wall coronavirus coverage is the starting point. I am asking the tekkie members of our family WhatsApp group to try and set up an online game that we can all play together virtually.

I am at the point of trying to avoid news except for headlines and things that affect me. I am keen to see what the procedure is for people to get mortgage holidays for three months (for my family, my wife and I are mortgage free (old)) and how the grants for businesses are going to be distributed. Anything else of interest will be posted on here, where I spend far too much time. I also prefer NSC comments and questions on this virus to the ones I am seeing on the tv :lolol:

Mind distraction is the key to avoid sinking into depression by over analysing and worrying imo.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm fine, but I've never tended to be a worrier. I remember when I used to have extremely stressful jobs, I used to joke that It didn't bother me because I was too thick to realise when I was in a stressful situation and i suspect there may be some truth in that :wink:

However, I can see how the 24/7 news coverage could start to effect most people, particularly with the wildly differing predictions from one extreme to the other. It's not the Zombie apocalypse and it's not the regular seasonal flu, but it's far closer to one of those than the other (ducks and runs for cover).

But if you believe it is starting to effect your psychological health, particularly as so many of us have so much time on our hands now, you really need to step away from this 24/7 news, limit yourself to maybe the BBC news at 6 (or something similar). Then go and do your garden (if you're lucky enough to have one), go for a long walk outside (National Trust have opened all parks etc to public) maybe do some decorating or, as I believe it's called 'binge watch' some TV series or films.

Good luck, it won't be as bad as you are thinking and definitely don't read too much into what the oddballs and misfits of NSC say :thumbsup:

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's the uncertainty that gets to me, I don't think our government or any government has handled this that well and they have all been learning on the hoof. How, when and how long do we self isolate for and how many people will die alone due to virus or other medical conditions and accidents ? I'm not at high risk for this virus but there is still about a 4% chance it will kill me if I am unlucky and I have never had to face anything like this before

. Further stress is the fact we are living day to day and the future does not look too bright once we try to get back to work, the economy will need a miracle to recover and many will be without work. Truly frightening.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
It's a complete pain in the arse, of course. And the actions of some our fellow citizens is hardly helping. But then we have become a far more insular and selfish nation over time than perhaps our parents and grandparents generation.

But the human condition - and our ability to adapt - is remarkable and I believe we will all quickly settle in to the rhythm of our 'new normal' for however long it lasts. The main thing is to not over-think the situation, accept it for what it is and know that it won't last forever. I find the whole scavaging for basic food and household goods masssively frustrating but hopefully that will correct itself fairly soon. I think it is also a good opportunity to re-set values and priorities. Many of the things that have stressed me previously no longer seem quite so important.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
I am struggling to get my head round stuff, so much going on. Worried about so much but also know there is nothing i can do about it. Feel stressed and i guess scared. Going to try and go for a run tonight (haven't been for over a week) and that should help clear my head.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here