Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Underlying health conditions - why so few details?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I keep hearing that COVID-19 is more lethal to people who have underlying health conditions.

I understand the virus is predominately a respiratory problem so obviously anyone with ailments like Asthma or Bronchitis will be a greater risk.
Similarly, anyone with a reduced immune capacity would be vulnerable: HIV AIDS, organ replacement, Type 1 diabetics [there will be loads more in this group].

But there will also be hundreds of underlying health conditions that will have no effect on COVID-19.

If there is a detailed list of what constitutes elevated risks calling out the very specific ailments, I've yet to find it.
With those unfortunate to have died from this virus, does others think it would be useful to know what else they were suffering from or might this just create additional scare.

Just suppose they announced, for example, that everyone who has died globally so far had been a smoker and that anyone who was a non-smoker would not die from this virus - would that change your attitude?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I keep hearing that COVID-19 is more lethal to people who have underlying health conditions.

I understand the virus is predominately a respiratory problem so obviously anyone with ailments like Asthma or Bronchitis will be a greater risk.
Similarly, anyone with a reduced immune capacity would be vulnerable: HIV AIDS, organ replacement, Type 1 diabetics [there will be loads more in this group].

But there will also be hundreds of underlying health conditions that will have no effect on COVID-19.

If there is a detailed list of what constitutes elevated risks calling out the very specific ailments, I've yet to find it.
With those unfortunate to have died from this virus, does others think it would be useful to know what else they were suffering from or might this just create additional scare.

Just suppose they announced, for example, that everyone who has died globally so far had been a smoker and that anyone who was a non-smoker would not die from this virus - would that change your attitude?

I'm an ex-smoker, probably along with a large percentage of the population, would my chance of death be greater depending on the amount and brand I smoked ? Too many variables !

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm an ex-smoker, probably along with a large percentage of the population, would my chance of death be greater depending on the amount and brand I smoked ? Too many variables !

You smoked girly Silk Cut.......... you’ll be fine .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You smoked girly Silk Cut.......... you’ll be fine .

Spent some time on rollies though, then while quitting mainlined Hamlets and the odd Castella ? still convinced ?

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Last edited:

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
From a Tweet about today’s grim death toll in Italy.

F181C1FC-3B0F-46D7-AC32-4A3AA147741F.jpeg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The youngest person to die in the UK of coronavirus, so far, was 40, with motor neurone disease. He died on Monday.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have been a big smoker but stopped now. Today. I know the damage may be done but the lungs clear out a lot of crap after just 5 days so it cannot do any harm. I urge all smokers to do it as to carry on smoking now is utter madness. It gives me a better chance if it hits me a few weeks down the line but far less of a chance than a non smoker. Death rates with smokers are 14 times higher than non smokers

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I have been a big smoker but stopped now. today. I know the damage may be done but the lungs clear out a lot of crap after just 5 days so it cannot do any harm. I urge all smokers to do it as to carry on smoking now is utter madness. It gives me a better chance if it hits me a few week down the line but far less of a chance than a non smoker. Death rates with smokers are 14 times higher than non smokers

Well done mate, best of luck with it.

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean
Interestingly some employers still saying this guidance isn't prescriptive enough to inform decisions for individual staff members. Not sure how much more ****ing prescriptive they want it.

I am on leave this week but my company has said that from Monday I need to self-isolate for three months because I have COPD and a customer facing role. I am on full pay for the duration.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I am on leave this week but my company has said that from Monday I need to self-isolate for three months because I have COPD and a customer facing role. I am on full pay for the duration.

Good to hear you'll be kept on full pay, this almost certainly won't be the case with all employers.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Well done mate, best of luck with it.

Thanks mate. I like my fags but would be insane to carry on 15 a day now. I need to at least give myself a sporting chance. I would probably make it but the symptoms will be, probably will be much worse for smokers than non smokers. And if I make it through, the Corona is a positive as it forced my hand something I should have done years ago

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The answer to ‘why no details?’ Is specifically that personal health details are covered by patient confidentiality and Data protection. The NHS can’t say anything other than underlying health issues unless the patient’s family give details to the press, which some have. Eg the 45 year old had motor neurone disease.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Thanks mate. I like my fags but would be insane to carry on 15 a day now. I need to at least give myself a sporting chance. I would probably make it but the symptoms will be, probably will be much worse for smokers than non smokers. And if I make it through, the Corona is a positive as it forced my hand something I should have done years ago

US,as my old Dad said, giving up smoking is easy , he did it loads of times.:ffsparr:

Seriously, good luck, it's the right decision anytime, especially now.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
The answer to ‘why no details?’ Is specifically that personal health details are covered by patient confidentiality and Data protection. The NHS can’t say anything other than underlying health issues unless the patient’s family give details to the press, which some have. Eg the 45 year old had motor neurone disease.

I don't want to know their name, address, date of birth and religion, that can all be withheld.
All I want to know is what the underlying health condition actually was in cases where covid-19 proved fatal - no GDPR breach in that.

The Brighton Bear

Come on Kylie, get a grip
May 3, 2010
Rottingdean

I have just received a text from the NHS confirming that they have identified me as someone at risk and I need to stay indoors for the next 12 weeks.:down:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here