Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Both the wife and I are working from home. In our early 30s, both fit and healthy and not showing any signs. We've avoiding seeing her parents ( :smile: ) and grandma at the moment. Went out yesterday for a food shop as we needed it but trying to keep to ourselves. Seems the best approach.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I really, really wish that we could. But given that he is a teacher, and his school remains open, we are not able to control that.

He is rightly furious. The situation is a shambles. There are hundreds of kids off - either sick or being withheld. At the same time, there are kids showing symptoms who the school send home, whose parents send back in the very next day. The government simply have to own this properly and take prescriptive measures, because frankly people are morons.

Look, I agree, particularly given what Mrs B tells me some of her colleagues IN THE ****ING SCIENCE DEPARTMENT are saying about this #JustSniffles.

But, for now, all we can do is try our hardest not to pass it on should we get it ourselves.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I'm stopping in, work from home, apart from walking the dog twice a day and that will be in unpopulated areas, fields, woods etc. If I see someone coming i'll avoid them. Wife works at Pompy Uni and they are all working from home now so she will do the same.

BUT IT ALL MEANS F&CK ALL BECAUSE OUR KIDS ARE STILL AT SCHOOL INTERACTING WITH OTHER GRUBBY LITTLE GERM FACTORIES!!!!!!!!

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/crai...nessasusual-activity-6645629661730656256-7lVW

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
I'm Chair of a social inclusion group for old people in Hangleton. Last week we made the sensible decision to stop groups. Everyone is in the over 70 group plus I'd estimate 50% have conditions that are cause for concern. The announcement was greeted with a fair amount of anger. I was shocked by how small a grasp people had of what was actually going on.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I think most people are taking it seriously.

As I said on another thread I'm surprised there haven't already been some hard hitting public service broadcasts (a la AIDS) to explain WHY this needs to be done for the hard of thinking.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Time to start enforcing oldies staying in now. Lots clearly aren’t listening and need to be forced indoors now. For their own sakes and the sake of our NHS.
Selfish.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I've been doing what has been asked and think that's what everyone should be following. A friend messaged yesterday to say she was down the pub and how busy it was which I thought was pretty disappointing really.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Germany is striking a balance. Whilst most public places are shut down, cafes and restaurants can stay open as long as they introduce certain measures like open and close 12:00-18:00, no more than 50 people, tables at least 1.5 metre apart, nothing self-service and periodic cleaning of surfaces etc etc (good news is Brewdog is following the criteria and is open). My coworking space is doing similar but there’s only a few of us using quite a waste space so it’s easy to separate. So life goes on, but at a slight distance.

Last edited:

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Trying to a bit where possible but have spoken to at least 10 people that are not interested in being told what to do

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Young, fit, healthy people who don’t feel ill do not need to isolate and do not need to lock themselves away. So many people are getting very confused.
Don’t gather in large numbers,
Wash your hands regularly,
Stay away from those who have the virus.

But do get out and about. Use your local businesses and cafes etc, even if you don’t want to sit in. Get out, exercise, walk, see people, just be sensitive to the situation.

Will you still be doing your press conference later :whistle:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Germany is striking a balance. Whilst most public places are shut down, cafes and restaurants can stay open as long as they introduce certain measures like open and close 12:00-18:00, no more than 50 people, tables at least 1.5 metre apart, nothing self-service and periodic cleaning of surfaces etc etc (good news is Brewdog is following the criteria and is open). My coworking space is doing similar but there’s only a few of us using quite a waste space so it’s easy to separate. So life goes on, but at a slight distance.

Sounds sensible on the face of it, but I saw something earlier on how long this virus remains active in the air and on surfaces that would leave me a bit nervy with some of that approach.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Young, fit, healthy people who don’t feel ill do not need to isolate and do not need to lock themselves away. So many people are getting very confused.
Don’t gather in large numbers,
Wash your hands regularly,
Stay away from those who have the virus.

But do get out and about. Use your local businesses and cafes etc, even if you don’t want to sit in. Get out, exercise, walk, see people, just be sensitive to the situation.

Seriously, does anyone actually know what the recommendation for regularly is?

Every hour? 30 mins ??? Weekly????

With regards to gathering in large numbers is there a suggestion for a safe number?

From what is happening here and in most of Europe, the decision is made by the authorities.

All bars, restaurants, clubs, in fact anywhere where people gather, are closed. As are the schools and Uni.

We will go out to the coast later today on our bikes and have a stroll but only on our own, keeping away from people as much as possible.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Seriously, but within reason. Retired, do work not an issue. No pubs or gigs for a while, or going out for a meal or a coffee (not that I do either of those very much anyway). Have a car, so will avoid public transport - bit of a shame, that's some nice days out up the swanee. Shopping will be confined to necessary trips to the supermarket, preferably when it's not too busy (which is difficult; go early, and it is rammed with people; go later, and not just the aisles are empty, so are the shelves!)
Looking into click and collect, so I can just drive up and pick up my order from a locker in the car park - unfortunately it appears that only Asda (round here anyway) do this - not my favourite, but I'll use it if things get more serious. Will still go out to get fresh air though, whether I drive into the country or just walk round my local park. Won't stop doing that unless they put me under house arrest!
Will await further information and advice (I'm over 70, with COPD (but pretty mild)) before visiting my daughters and grandchildren. Obviously that's more a risk to me than to them - I'll play a waiting game on making a decision about that.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I do hope that the Government are factoring in how much/many people will ignore this, how stupid/selfish the average person is etc. So I'm assuming that because more stronger, direct ,instructions and enforcement (loudspeaker drones, police patrols) are not yet here means we are still on the "gentle curve" of reducing spread? If we wanted more handbrake on the spread then the government should be attempting to control us more?
Seems still to be mitigation rather than suppression? I thought we'd moved to suppression but the current guidelines don't seem to be suggesting this?

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
.....Was in Innsbruck for a short break last week, got back Thursday. Four days of planes, trains and cable cars, hanging around airports, moving away from coughers.......

I've no idea why but I had to keep re-reading that as I kept reading it as "cougars" and I was a bit confused as I was sure you were a little too old to be a cougar magnet for it to have presented that much of a problem...

11557686-6859441-image-a-10_1553764965528.jpg

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
As an over 70 with underlining health problems I have self isolated since Monday evening. I have supplies of necessities for at least 2 weeks and hope that the people who have offered to fetch and carry for me remain willing and/or able to do so.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here