Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I walked passed a cafe en-route to work yesterday (I am WfH now but had to go in to pick some vital bits up). The cafe was full of people :facepalm:

Now I am WfH I expect my only contact with others (other than my partner) will be when we do a food shop, if there is any food to buy.

Supermarkets are at long bloody last lmiting items per customer as oppose to the last week where they have stood by as people have stripped the shelves.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My wife is a secondary school teacher and i have 3 kids at differing schools, meaning that they are in the presence of hundreds, if not 1000's, of kids every day. I have no doubt that we will get it, and that we will then get over it. How can they 'social distance' given this?

That's pretty much us - Mrs B works in a school and my son is in school. We can't influence those things.

What we can influence is our own behaviour and largely keeping away from others. Should we get it,. we want to be the end of that particular chain of transmission and not pass it on to others.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
That's pretty much us - Mrs B works in a school and my son is in school. We can't influence those things.

What we can influence is our own behaviour and largely keeping away from others. Should we get it,. we want to be the end of that particular chain of transmission and not pass it on to others.

Agreed. When we get it, we will all sit tight in our house until it passes. Our neighbours (and great friends) will pick up supplies for us and pass them over the back fence if required, and we'll do the same for them if required. this is far from being an insurmountable problem. It might just get a little boring at times.

I have the joy of next week off, having intended on going on a last minute ski trip (1st world problems these days I accept). The Mrs has to 'use it or lose it' by end of her holiday year in March so is taking the week. I was minded to cancel as nothing to do and nowehere to go, but she'll e at home disturbing me if I choose to work instead - WFH compulsory at present.

Anyone have any inspirational ideas of socially responsible stuff we could do? The thought of sitting in my lounge 24/7 and using up leave seems utterly pointless.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Are you taking it seriously?

Please don't turn this into a "they should shut the pubs if they don't want us to use them" or "they should shut the schools then" thread. This is about YOUR behaviour with regard to social distancing.

To be fair, the fact that you do not want people to put forward opinions that you do not want to hear (pubs, schools etc), and your tag about it being YOUR behaviour shows this thread up for being a judgement fest before it even started. You were not looking for the opinion of others, just others to back you up.

As it is, I am doing what I consider to be following reasonable requests to distance myself from others. I keep myself a respectable distance from others, I will happily join in conversation but do not handshake. In the near to medium term I will not be going to bars, restaurants etc as it is just common sense not to. But the amount of boxxocks doing the rounds is shocking. At work I cannot speak face to face with some of my colleagues about work related matters, but I can freely sit and eat with them at lunchtime, and share toilet facilities with them! Rules put in place by those who want to be SEEN to be proactive, rather than actually making a sensible contribution.

There are going to be casualties from this virus, the economy (otherwise known as the standard of living meter) is going to take a big hit. The difficult job is to find the right balance between the two, it might be said that the more one is protected the more the other suffers. Anyway, it will have panned itself out in some way in 12 - 18 months time.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The vast majority of the people I’ve seen out over the last few days have been old people. Stopping to chat on the pavement, gathering in the old tea shop and the cafe.
Idiots. Isolation for over 70’s should be compulsory.
Lambs to the slaughter :nono:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The over 70s (9 in total) I’ve spoken to unanimously say they’ve no intention of staying indoors and it will be largely ‘business as usual.’

My Dad is 82 with a serious underlying health condition, I am struggling to stop him doing his weekly shop in Asda this Saturday Morning.

My Mother in law is 82 with serious underlying health conditions and seemed most upset my sister in law (who commutes every day on the tube) will not drive down to Shoreham and see her this Saturday.

My Mum and Dad both dance every-week with 50 other over 70's all of whom wanted to carry on, but thankfully the organisers have cancelled it.

One of my Mums mantras is very much when its your time its your time, I now find myself saying yes Mum but you really don't want to take 10 other people with you.

So in answer to the question I am taking it seriously but not sure all the old people in my family are (yet).

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Very. Can WFH so doing everything we can to minimise any physical interactions with others outside the family. Work (small business) all taking it completely seriously. Doing what we can to get wider family to take it seriously.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I had to go into Brighton to buy something yesterday for the funeral on Friday. The bus only had 5 or 6 people on it at any one time, Western Road was very quiet, and the return bus an hour later was even more sparsely populated with 4 of us, all sitting well apart.

I did also call into the local chemist to pick up my prescription, and washed my hands immediately I got in, despite having worn gloves for the majority of the time. The gloves are now in the wash.

My mother's care home is on lock down, but we had already ordered a bouquet via the internet, and she doesn't know me from Adam (Eve) now.

My husband is working from home as is the majority of his firm.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Avoiding any unnecessary trips out.....and work ‘distancing’ as much as possible ..implemented my own policy of telling my elderly customers to keep their distance and leave money to one side..not make me a drink etc.
My main concern is my elderly father and how often i should see him and length of visit and on a selfish note seeing my grandchildren who keep my spirits up

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Lambs to the slaughter :nono:

Unfortunately this lot are the boomer generation. The “what’s for me”? Generation. Have no concept that all the self isolation and effort is so they can stay alive.

Anywhooo,

When I get back to work next week it’ll be pretty much business as usual expect I’m sure we will have some service users in isolation and probably a few in hospital. But we have to staff our houses so there is no choice, have to be there if I’m not ill myself.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
To be fair, the fact that you do not want people to put forward opinions that you do not want to hear (pubs, schools etc), and your tag about it being YOUR behaviour shows this thread up for being a judgement fest before it even started. You were not looking for the opinion of others, just others to back you up.

Not at all - those are very valid discussion points - and other threads where they have been discussed, and anyone is free to start a "Should schools be closed now?" thread.

But we can't directly influence pubs and schools being open/closed (although we can choose to not to go to a pub if we want, and we can pull our kids out of school if we want also) but we can influence how we go about our daily business right now.

I heard discussions on 5Live this morning about people not taking it seriously yet, which surprised me slightly, but a feature of social distancing is you may not be completely aware of what others are up to. I won't pretend I think it's incredibly serious that we all do what we can in order to protect others, and I won't apologise for that. However, I'm also aware that it's going to be significantly easier for some than others. I'm not going to judge anyone for that - why would I?

Please don't respond with an aggressive rant, you'll get nothing back. Peace.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Mrs speaks with senior managers in the NHS every day. Therefore we get some snippets that greatly encourage us to follow the recommendations. However, we live with two young adults (one at College and one working) who are going to struggle badly with social-distancing. They're not stupid or overly irresponsible - but they are young and bulletproof (remember that feeling).Still play golf, but even the Chief MO says that's ok with sensible precautions.Walk the dog on the Downs. Wfh. RANT AT PEOPLE STOCKPILING - but want to avoid proper physical altercation because of blood and saliva spreading about (but it's ****ing hard!).

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
There are a lot of selfish idiots out there who won't do anything until they are forced to. The stories coming from some of those stuck in places like Benidorn are hardly surprising considering the typical British holidaymaker who visits Spanish resorts like Benidorm.
But, it's the reality across Europe really, as we don't like to be told what to do in this part of the world, unlike Asia (whether that's through being scared shitless of the government, due to social conformity, or both, depends on the country!), which is why it's spread like wildfire in a lot of European countries.

Personally taking it seriously - getting out and about for walks and to buy food etc, but being as sensible as possible. Lucky both of us are able to work from home now, too.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Only going out when I need too, indoors I've got my tape measure out and I'm making sure Mrs bulldog keeps 2 metre's away from me at all times.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
But we can't directly influence pubs and schools being open/closed (although we can choose to not to go to a pub if we want, and we can pull our kids out of school if we want also)

I really, really wish that we could. But given that he is a teacher, and his school remains open, we are not able to control that.

He is rightly furious. The situation is a shambles. There are hundreds of kids off - either sick or being withheld. At the same time, there are kids showing symptoms who the school send home, whose parents send back in the very next day. The government simply have to own this properly and take prescriptive measures, because frankly people are morons.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Young, fit, healthy people who don’t feel ill do not need to isolate and do not need to lock themselves away. So many people are getting very confused.
Don’t gather in large numbers,
Wash your hands regularly,
Stay away from those who have the virus.

But do get out and about. Use your local businesses and cafes etc, even if you don’t want to sit in. Get out, exercise, walk, see people, just be sensitive to the situation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here