Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How seriously are you taking social distancing?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Elsewhere I've seen a few people comment on cafes and coffee shops being busy, with others seemingly congratulating people for carrying on. Isn't this exactly the behaviour that got Italy into trouble?

People with an "I'm alright Jack" attitude, either because they believe they are low-risk, "it's only sniffles", "hardly anyone has it - what's the fuss about?" or believe that because they are not symptomatic, they couldn't be part of the problem, think it's OK to ignore the advice being handed out.

Initial research indicates that people can spread the virus before they are symptomatic (they may even remain completely asymptomatic throughout infection), and it's through this that the growth of the virus really ramps up.

I've heard a few mentions on the radio this morning of people not taking it seriously yet. I'm guessing that if virus spread out-strips model forecasts and health resources do become overwhelmed then we may see mandatory stay-at-home instructions as in other nations. Surely we don't want that if we can avoid it?

We will continue to support our local businesses. We love our local independent coffee shop and we'll still get drinks and cake but will takeaway instead of sitting in, and we'll do the same with favourite restaurants that offer takeaway services.

Are you taking it seriously?

Please don't turn this into a "they should shut the pubs if they don't want us to use them" or "they should shut the schools then" thread. This is about YOUR behaviour with regard to social distancing.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I am but others aren’t, which makes it difficult. No online food shopping here in Rustington for the foreseeable so I’m having to go to the shops. I kept a two metre distance from the woman in front in the queue but the prick behind me was right at my heels.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I'm carrying on picking up and delivering materials, other half is busy taking patients home and buying them supplies. Some of us have to carry on until we get IT.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm cutting out all contact with the world except the office - as our company is backward thinking about working from home ( currently ) - minimal essential food shopping, and 1 refuelling visit to the garage per week. Drive to work so no need for public transport.

Taking it quite seriously. It's not about me its about others I may inadvertently affect, either directly or indirectly.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home, but outside of that other than trips to the shops and exersise out in the open air I'm pretty much at home.

We're at the start of this too so already thinking ahead to things I can do with my time whilst at home. e.g. bought a guitar yesterday as likely have a bit of time to try and pick up a new skill. Also ordered in a few bits needed for those dreaded DIY jobs that haven't been done for a while.

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm being sensible and that is about all I can do.

If we totally cut off contact with people then we'll create more problems than the virus will alone.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don’t you usually slap wrists for the same poster posting multiple threads on the same topic?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Taking it quite seriously. It's not about me its about others I may inadvertently affect, either directly or indirectly.

I'm fortunate enough to be able to work from home, but outside of that other than trips to the shops and exersise out in the open air I'm pretty much at home.

We're at the start of this too so already thinking ahead to things I can do with my time whilst at home. e.g. bought a guitar yesterday as likely have a bit of time to try and pick up a new skill. Also ordered in a few bits needed for those dreaded DIY jobs that haven't been done for a while.

That's it, isn't it? It's not about you (or me). Your situation pretty much describes my own, and I'm now off to check guitars on Amazon!

I'm being sensible and that is about all I can do.

If we totally cut off contact with people then we'll create more problems than the virus will alone.

Very much so, but it's about being sensible and sticking to what we HAVE to do, not what we'd LIKE to do. I don't HAVE to sit in a coffee shop, with many others, for an hour. I can still support the coffee shop whilst limiting the chance of being part of infection spread.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I had a whatsapp from my mate saying there was a 'coronavirus party' in Wandsworth last night (not verified)

I'm in Tenerife and in lockdown and most people are respecting it. But a few, and I regret all Brit's as far as I could tell are ignoring. Have made two trips out one to pharmacy and one to get food passed a couple small groups chatting in street, a couple jogging in full gear, and couples in shop when we're told only one person out at a time. Many also look like they are using our local shop as some sort of informal meeting point

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Fairly seriously, but I'm on catch-up with my wife (who keeps telling me off for not being serious enough).

We've denied our son a play-date with his friend after school tonight - he's a neighbour only a few doors down, and they're in the same class at school, but there'll be other family members in their house and they had visitors in the last couple of days.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Came back from Spain on Monday. Should have been there until April. Where we were had very little CV but we kept our distance anyway.
Now we're back we're quarantining ourselves for a fortnight just in case. I spoke to the doc yesterday on an unrelated matter and he asked about our trip and if we had symptoms (we dont). He said it was wise to quarantime but it is ok to go out, just keep a 2m gap if possible.
We're avoiding shops if possible but had to go out yesterday to buy milk and pick up meds.
Don't intend to go to pubs/restaurants etc until it's considered "safe" again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Though I despise the media for scaring the nation, I AM taking the social distancing seriously. Was in Innsbruck for a short break last week, got back Thursday. Four days of planes, trains and cable cars, hanging around airports, moving away from coughers, hand washing like a demon. Since I got back I have tried to be socially reponsible by social distancing as far as practical, despite having absolutely nothing in the way of symptoms. Not been to the gym, not been on a bus, not been in a pub. Been trying to shop in at my local corner shop and offie and in the Open Market in the fresh air. Would not have gone to the Arsenal match because the dear friend who sits next to me at football is 70 years old. This will be my regime until 14 days have passed since I got home. I've had asthma all my life, am not that far off the at risk age group, and suppose I should feel anxious about this thing. But I don't.The only thing that terrifies me about it is the thought of inadventently passing it on to somebody I care about. Or to somebody I've never met, come to that.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I've closed my office and asked everyone to WFH.

Go out when I have to but early or late and avoid if possible.

Have visited my quiet local and had a pint but fear that'll be the last in some time.

Kids are at school so there's a "hand wash" routine on returning and they have hand sanitisers in their bags.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
The over 70s (9 in total) I’ve spoken to unanimously say they’ve no intention of staying indoors and it will be largely ‘business as usual.’

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Zero contact with the outside world for me. Will have to pop to the greengrocer within the next week or so though.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patreon
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I am WFH and haven’t seen a soul other than my wife this week. My house is pretty remote which helps.

If people don’t take it seriously then the Gov’t will make them.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Having my retirement party at my place on sunday.Will be interesting to see what happens.Although I'm having my party I have postponed my actual retirement date.Bloody China.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here