Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Laptop question

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Hi people

Seeking NSC expertise please. I need to buy 2 x Laptops for the junior Rattlers to use for their school/ homework. Hoping not to spend more than £600-£700.

Any recommendations please? Obviously I would have asked this question of BG were it not for his sad passing.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
These are good value.

8D377371-9A24-422E-8A1F-CCEFBE7FC36C.jpeg

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Wifey needed a new laptop and I bought her an ex-corporate IBM thinkpad T410 from ebay. If you don't want to play top-end games then a machine like that is a good buy (I used thinkpads at work for years and know how well specced and rugged they are). I was so impressed with hers that I bought another as a testing and devlopment machine.
I paid around £130 but I already had spare memory to upgrade to the max.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-T...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
Wifey needed a new laptop and I bought her an ex-corporate IBM thinkpad T410 from ebay. If you don't want to play top-end games then a machine like that is a good buy (I used thinkpads at work for years and know how well specced and rugged they are). I was so impressed with hers that I bought another as a testing and devlopment machine.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-T...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Thanks for the idea!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
If they don’t need specific software and just the internet, seriously consider a chromebook -

https://www.google.com/intl/en_uk/chromebook/shop/

Perhaps you could get one windows and one chromebook if they did need software for specific things. Or if you have a home pc for that?

Chromebooks have a shelf life. Lucky to get 5 years. My pc is at least 7 years old. Otherwise i would consider a Chromebook myself

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013

My last 2 laptops have been eBay refurbs and I can't really fault them. If you go for the most expensive options on those you'd have 2 decent laptops for browsing/homework with money left over. Definitely get one with an SSD.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Hi people

Seeking NSC expertise please. I need to buy 2 x Laptops for the junior Rattlers to use for their school/ homework. Hoping not to spend more than £600-£700.

Any recommendations please? Obviously I would have asked this question of BG were it not for his sad passing.

Thanks!

Might want to consider their overall tech experience, Apple or Android phones? Google Apps and Google home or Microsoft, Amazon etc.? It all works together of course but some setups work more seemlessly than others. As an example Hove Park School are on an iPad educational programme, so maybe worth finding out the software the school want the kids to use and how it will be submitted.

That could go a long way to informing your laptop choice to start with.

Jul 7, 2003
Might be worth a look at the Dell Outlet - ready to shop PCs that have either come from cancelled business orders or returned by punters.

Lenovo direct is also good - I bought one from there a couple of years ago with next day delivery.

If it is only for schoolwork then don't get dragged into over speccing the machine.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
If it is only for schoolwork then don't get dragged into over speccing the machine.

THIS - but if you're buying a Windows laptop, I'd strongly suggest at least 4GB RAM, and ideally an Intel Core i3 or i5 processor from the last few years or and AMD Ryzen processor.

Above all, though, the biggest single thing to make laptops useable is an SSD hard drive, so make sure you get one.. That said, they're currently pretty cheap to swap-in if needed: https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/solid-state-drives/120gb-to-480gb-25-sata3-ssds (e.g. 240GB for <£40).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here