Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
They won’t report that as its good news, they don’t want you to hear positives !

This. It is very much project worst case scenario at the moment. They don't want to declare anything positive as they want people sat in their chair at home for a long time yet

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
London Nightingale Hospital. 3500 beds, 23 patients. Chichester and Worthing Hospitals 950 beds, 41 patients

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m watching the press conference.....the ‘breaking’ ticker is simply repeating the death number. The declining numbers of people in hospital with Covid (now clearly a trend, and becoming quite steep) should also be highlighted........

What’s quite frightening is that the media/broadcasters are run by intelligent people. They would full well know that a plateauing and hopefully dip in covid new cases etc is a key indicator. It’s been drummed into us by every expert now for a month. If that’s happening, it’s relatively very good news for any nation or region.

For a broadcaster to disregard that trend, instead focusing solely on headlines from the Kelvin McKenzie school of non-journalism is lazy or mischief making to fit a doom and gloom narrative.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
What’s quite frightening is that the media/broadcasters are run by intelligent people. They would full well know that a plateauing and hopefully dip in covid new cases etc is a key indicator. It’s been drummed into us by every expert now for a month. If that’s happening, it’s relatively very good news for any nation or region.

For a broadcaster to disregard that trend, instead focusing solely on headlines from the Kelvin McKenzie school of non-journalism is lazy or mischief making to fit a doom and gloom narrative.

That is what they want and all the media are onboard. The few rebels like Peter Hitchens are given no air time and derided. I know David Icke is considered a complete loon but what he has been predicting for 30 years is coming to pass in a spookily correct way atm

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That is what they want and all the media are onboard. The few rebels like Peter Hitchens are given no air time and derided. I know David Icke is considered a complete loon but what he has been predicting for 30 years is coming to pass in a spookily correct way atm

I usually agree with you.

But the moment you mention Icke, I have to disagree. He predicts all sorts of things, he was going to get one ‘right’ one day. Beyond the eccentric reputation, he’s an anti semite. I know a fair bit about him because I knew one of his crank disciples for many years (a NSC’er funny enough). You wouldn’t believe their beliefs.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I think you give David Icke too much credit... yes he's been predicting that but its hardly his own ideas. He takes interesting and plausible theories from intellectuals like Orwell, Huxley, Sartre, Von Däniken and so on and turn it into a sci-fi shitfest. That media arent as "free", "facutal" and "uncontrollable" as many naively believe, was established, at latest, with Upton Sinclairs "The Brass Check" from 1919. George Selders and Anthony C Sutton also showed the same thing, but without the wacko sensationalist fearmongering that Icke seemingly does in a fashion that is pretty close to the establishment he is critical of.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Indeed.....it’s making me quite angry. I know the death figures are appalling, and desperate for all those affected but there is some positive news if you look just a little bit further. The press narrative if 100% negative.....high death rates, no PPE, no exit plan, no antibodies......there is no balance at all. Very, very poor.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed.....it’s making me quite angry. I know the death figures are appalling, and desperate for all those affected but there is some positive news if you look just a little bit further. The press narrative if 100% negative.....high death rates, no PPE, no exit plan, no antibodies......there is no balance at all. Very, very poor.

Very British. Along with the ‘everything’s far better overseas’ angle.

LBC just had on the brilliant Chris Smith (The Naked Scientist) - informative, balanced, no conjecture or guesswork about the future. Calmly explaining the various scenarios on how this might play out, vaccines and antibodies, then linking that to how a phased easing of lockdown might occur and its ensuing effect on the pandemic in the UK.

90% of the other genuine scientists on radio or TV in the last month have been exactly the same. They should get more air time.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I don’t buy the view that there’s no exit plan - of course there is. But any continuity / recovery plan needs to be flexible. It needs to cater for a variety of different scenarios emerging. It needs to adapt to the circumstances prevailing at that time. So, currently, the government can’t be definitive as to how and when the lockdown will be relaxed - that said it could do better in explaining the challenges of doing so.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t buy the view that there’s no exit plan - of course there is. But any continuity / recovery plan needs to be flexible. It needs to cater for a variety of different scenarios emerging. It needs to adapt to the circumstances prevailing at that time. So, currently, the government can’t be definitive as to how and when the lockdown will be relaxed - that said it could do better in explaining the challenges of doing so.

And they simply can’t give away snippets of it prematurely, not least because human nature would mean many folk would take that as the green light to ease up on social distancing straight away.

Jul 7, 2003

Right from the outset the focus has always been on infection and death, not recovery. It does smack of the old eastern block countries where news is being censored to toe the government line.

What they are not considering is the mental health of the country. If all you hear is doom and gloom there are a lot of people who will struggle with this. I'm not advocating hiding the truth but there has to be some balance. For example, if 5% of people of people infected are sadly dying then that still means 95% are pulling through. Hopefully the Tom Moore story will encourage news bulletins to focus a bit more on the positive.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Right from the outset the focus has always been on infection and death, not recovery. It does smack of the old eastern block countries where news is being censored to toe the government line.

What they are not considering is the mental health of the country. If all you hear is doom and gloom there are a lot of people who will struggle with this. I'm not advocating hiding the truth but there has to be some balance. For example, if 5% of people of people infected are sadly dying then that still means 95% are pulling through. Hopefully the Tom Moore story will encourage news bulletins to focus a bit more on the positive.

Yep, feels like an overwhelming tirade of negative news when the reality is, at least, that distancing is working (and mostly being very well observed), infection rates are dropping, hospital admissions are falling quite quickly, the NHS is coping and has clear headroom in it’s capacity....but none of that even gets a mention.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yep, feels like an overwhelming tirade of negative news when the reality is, at least, that distancing is working (and mostly being very well observed), infection rates are dropping, hospital admissions are falling quite quickly, the NHS is coping and has clear headroom in it’s capacity....but none of that even gets a mention.

I don’t listen or watch any news program now...have a glance at a website once a day for the update stuff...or check it out on here...and follow Pro Sikora on Twitter ...turn radio off if they go to news or do the Government warning bit ...and I’m not burying my head in the sand as I was accused of once on here...it’s called mental survival

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

I do agree with what you’re saying but maybe the bad news will discourage this nations morons from abandoning the lockdown rules sooner than they should and send us back to square one. Can’t help thinking if there were suddenly good news reports, we would end up with a repeat of that infamous weekend.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Our death rate is horrific seems to be getting worse, I always imagine a championship ground with 14,000 gate all dead. That’s an awful lot of bodies. It’s going to get out of control as a nation he acted to slowly and will pay the price.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Our death rate is horrific seems to be getting worse, I always imagine a championship ground with 14,000 gate all dead. That’s an awful lot of bodies. It’s going to get out of control as a nation he acted to slowly and will pay the price.

The two words under your name seem quite apt.

Also, can’t read the title of the thread? :yawn:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here