Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Unless I've misunderstood this (always possible) someone's numbers are incorrect here? Is there a third model that offers a steer? No way the numbers have increased by that magnitude in a week? Someone's model must be flawed or worse still both are? If we have reached herd immunity then we really are in sight of the end of this...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ng-third-wave-based-flawed-figures-telegraph/

I thought this was a really good analysis of why Imperial, Warwick and LSHTM's models are a load of bollox!

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Unless I've misunderstood this (always possible) someone's numbers are incorrect here? Is there a third model that offers a steer? No way the numbers have increased by that magnitude in a week? Someone's model must be flawed or worse still both are? If we have reached herd immunity then we really are in sight of the end of this...

By definition at least one of these models has to be wildly inaccurate and whilst I'm conscious of giving credence to the one I like and dismissing the one I don't, I'm inclined to side with the UCL model based initially on my own anecdotal logic and calculations but more importantly due to the other important details highlighted in that excellent Telegraph article. I've copied and pasted the most salient points below:

Last week, antibody testing by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) suggested that, in the week ending March 14, around 54 per cent of people in England already had antibodies to the virus, and slightly less in the devolved nations.

Since then, a further 7.1 million people have received a first dose of vaccine and nearly 100,000 have tested positive for the virus, with many more acquiring a silent, asymptomatic infection.

It is thought about one in 10 people also have some innate immunity through infections with other coronaviruses – pushing population-level protection up further – while others may be immune through T-cells, which would not be picked up in antibody testing.

The model also suggests that, in the coming months, the threshold level needed for herd immunity will drop dramatically, with Britain needing just 40 per cent protection by the middle of the summer to be safe.

The work by UCL differs from other models because it reacts quickly to real-time deaths, infections, vaccinations, vaccine effectiveness data, hospital admissions and Google mobility trends, which inform transmission trends and the 'R' rate, which it currently estimates to be 1.12.

Despite the 'R' being above one, it predicts that deaths will continue to fall to low levels by May 24 and stay there, with no summer spike forecast.

Modellers say their "most likely" scenarios contrast with the SPI-M projections of "reasonable worst-case scenarios" and are more optimistic about the pandemic.

The team also published the code of their model so that it can be checked.

The Telegraph understands that the Government is unhappy with the pessimistic tone set by models produced by SPI-M, released earlier this week, and has asked other groups to critique the work. The SPI-M summary, presented to Sage, suggested the roadmap out of lockdown was "highly likely" to lead to increased hospital cases and deaths this summer.

"One of the problems is nobody is going back and checking whether the modelling matched up with the reality. We know that modelling in schools has not helped us because it was incorrect. So we need to have a reality check."

The Government also ignored dire predictions that reopening schools would trigger a spike of new infections, which did not come to pass.

The bit in bold is crucial because it is based on actual testing, not a mathematical model. I'd echo the thoughts of others earlier in suggesting that if this turns out to be remotely close to the truth, it might just be the best single piece of news on this year old thread to date, at least for those of us living in the UK.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
More news backing up what we've been seeing in the stats for a while now :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56663969

Increasingly strong evidence shows that the UK's vaccination programme is breaking the link between Covid-19 cases and deaths, scientists tracking the epidemic have said.

A study found infections had fallen by roughly two-thirds since February, before beginning to level off.

This is probably because people are beginning to mix more - but deaths have not followed the same pattern.

This was not the case before January, when the vaccine rollout began.

The research, commissioned by the government and run by Imperial College London, is based on swabs taken from 140,000 people selected to represent England's population.

Of that group, who were tested for the virus between 11 and 30 March, 227 had a positive result, giving a rate of 0.2%, or one in 500 people.

But in people over the age of 65, the infection rate was half that with one in 1,000 people testing positive for Covid.

During the period of 4 to 23 February, when the React study was last carried out, an estimated one in 200 people in England had the virus.

This represented a two-thirds fall since January and, at that time, it was almost entirely down to lockdown.

Now, scientists can identify decreases which are being driven by vaccination.

Infections most common in children

After a significant fall between February and March, during the roughly three-week period to the end of March, cases were "just about flat", said Prof Stephen Riley at Imperial College London, one of the study's authors.

They estimated the virus's reproduction number during this period up to the end of March to be one, meaning the epidemic is level but not receding.

"Since the first substantial relaxation of lockdown in England with the opening of schools on 8 March 2021, the rate of decline of new cases has slowed considerably," the report said.

Infections were most common in primary and early secondary school-aged children (five to 12-year-olds) and lowest in the over-65s, which the Imperial team said was "consistent with an effect from the vaccination rollout".

The flattening off "probably does reflect increased social mixing", Prof Riley said, and some of that will be to do with schools opening up.

He said it was "gratifying", however, that rates did not go up when schools reopened, which he said was "certainly a possibility".

Scientists and government would need to keep a "close watching brief as the lockdown gets eased further", Prof Riley said. But, he explained, the faster the vaccine is rolled out, the less chance increased contact will lead to an increase in cases.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Just watched this and was goig to post it, but you beat me to it. Lots and lots of good news in there, and amongst all that there are a couple of interesting points that might get lost:

- The data is showing that, while side effects from the Oxford jab are relatively common on first dose, they are much less common for the second. So if you got hit the first time round be reassured that it's very unlikely to be as bad for the second jab

- Out of 600,000 people that have logged effects of the Oxford jab, they have recorded NO cases of blood clots. And that didn't surprise them. That is how rare it is.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1380096116134273024[/TWEET]

Israel beginning to speak tentatively of having hit herd immunity. Early signs are good. Mobility is back to normal levels in Israel now, over average in some respects.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Just watched this and was goig to post it, but you beat me to it. Lots and lots of good news in there, and amongst all that there are a couple of interesting points that might get lost:

- The data is showing that, while side effects from the Oxford jab are relatively common on first dose, they are much less common for the second. So if you got hit the first time round be reassured that it's very unlikely to be as bad for the second jab

- Out of 600,000 people that have logged effects of the Oxford jab, they have recorded NO cases of blood clots. And that didn't surprise them. That is how rare it is.

Since you mention blood clots (I’ve posted this on the other forum) ..he tweeted this earlier

In France- 1 in 2 people are refusing their AZ vaccines because of the fears of clots. The media fail to put risk in context . We have 79 cases total in 4 months. Each day 300 unvaccinated people have strokes and 240 have major clots, some related to medications and lifestyle

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
[TWEET]1380096116134273024[/TWEET]

Israel beginning to speak tentatively of having hit herd immunity. Early signs are good. Mobility is back to normal levels in Israel now, over average in some respects.

Hugely exciting. For context, do we know what’s not operating as normal in Israel right now? I’ve seen videos of life looking very much normal, but I wasn’t sure whether people had returned to offices en masse yet, or whether social distancing had been dropped in indoor settings.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Since you mention blood clots (I’ve posted this on the other forum) ..he tweeted this earlier

In France- 1 in 2 people are refusing their AZ vaccines because of the fears of clots. The media fail to put risk in context . We have 79 cases total in 4 months. Each day 300 unvaccinated people have strokes and 240 have major clots, some related to medications and lifestyle

More good news is that the overwhelming majority of you on this forum do not live in this catastrophically inept countryas far as Covid 19 goes.

It is an utter shambles here.

For those of you old enough to remember periodic petrol shortages in the UK and a neighbour or friend might rush up to you say "quick, quick, they've got some petrol on sale at Tescos.Sainsbury/ Asdas garages. Hurry up before they run out again...!" Well, it'sd just like that here for the vaccines.

Only the other day one of my two neighbours in my hamlet came knocking on my door to tell me excitedly that a pharmacy only 8 miles away had some vaccines, but I had to be quick to get there.....( there doesn't seem to be any need to belong to that district or pharmacy...chaos ). On arrival of course, the gallic shrug of the shoulders and the " I 'ave no idea when we will 'ave more ..?".

This country couldn't organise a piss-up in brewery.....it's wonderful news that you don't live here.

PS: It does have very very cheap houses and the weather is better. Just a shame the French live here too..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Hugely exciting. For context, do we know what’s not operating as normal in Israel right now? I’ve seen videos of life looking very much normal, but I wasn’t sure whether people had returned to offices en masse yet, or whether social distancing had been dropped in indoor settings.

They are still being cautious - good article here that explains some of the current measures. They look to be a very useful pilot of the kind model we're following - I'd much rather we stayed cautious and did this only once......they've driven their infection rates to very low levels, and we're following quite close behind.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/schoo...er-passover-break-despite-low-infection-rate/

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
More good news is that the overwhelming majority of you on this forum do not live in this catastrophically inept countryas far as Covid 19 goes.

For those of you old enough to remember periodic petrol shortages in the UK and a neighbour or friend might rush up to you say "quick, quick, they've got some petrol on sale at Tescos.Sainsbury/ Asdas garages. Hurry up before they run out again...!" Well, it'sd just like that here for the vaccines.

Only the other day one of my two neighbours in my hamlet came knocking on my door to tell me excitedly that a pharmacy only 8 miles away had some vaccines, but I had to be quick to get there.....( there doesn't seem to be any need to belong to that district or pharmacy...chaos ). On arrival of course, the gallic shrug of the shoulders and the " I 'ave no idea when we will 'ave more ..?".

This country couldn't organise a piss-up in brewery.....it's wonderful news that you don't live here.

PS: It does have very very cheap houses and the weather is better. Just a shame the French live here too..

I lived and worked in France for a year and really loved it. I could never get over the unnecessary admin though. When they started their vaccine rollout back in Jan and people were having to have a pre-vaccine appointment a week before getting the actual jab, I just thought it was the most French thing ever.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I lived and worked in France for a year and really loved it. I could never get over the unnecessary admin though. When they started their vaccine rollout back in Jan and people were having to have a pre-vaccine appointment a week before getting the actual jab, I just thought it was the most French thing ever.

This chap disagrees...

French.jpg

P.S. sorry for the derailment - *raps own knuckles* :blush:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers update - all still ticking down very nicely week-on-week.........and back over 500k jabs reported.......:

Infections - 3,030, rolling 7 day down 37.3%
Deaths - 53, rolling 7 day down 32.5%
Admissions - 220, rolling 7 day down 26.1%
Vaccs - 99k first and 408k 2nd, cumulative 31.8m & 6.1m
In hospital - 3,124

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Your post will piss off a couple of thread curtain-twitchers, who don’t want favourable contrasts of the UK against other nations which are in crisis. The alleged reason is that it’s insensitive to NSC’ers who have family living in that bedlam.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Your post will piss off a couple of thread curtain-twitchers, who don’t want favourable contrasts of the UK against other nations which are in crisis. The alleged reason is that it’s insensitive to NSC’ers who have family living in that bedlam.

In order to keep this in the "good news thread" one of my friends has just returned from the local surgery where9 people were booked for their first vaccine. After 40 minutes my local doctor ( an absolute double for Hattie Jaques but without the smile ) came from her office to inform them that they had no vaccines......but they should have some next week.

So, yayyyyyyyyyyyy.....maybe another 9 people in France to receive their first dose by next week.

Great news eh....!

PS; Hopefully the French Army will be much more involved soon to help.......( hopefully with a couple of chieftain tanks to level our surgery, which still operates with a receptionist who books appointments in pencil in the diary. She also has a rubber which is in constant use to cancel appointments she decides aren't really that important . I kid you not ).)

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In order to keep this in the "good news thread" one of my friends has just returned from the local surgery where9 people were booked for their first vaccine. After 40 minutes my local doctor ( an absolute double for Hattie Jaques but without the smile ) came from her office to inform them that they had no vaccines......but they should have some next week.

So, yayyyyyyyyyyyy.....maybe another 9 people in France to receive their first dose by next week.

Great news eh....!

PS; Hopefully the French Army will be much more involved soon to help.......( hopefully with a couple of chieftain tanks to level our surgery, which still operates with a receptionist who books appointments in pencil in the diary. She also has a rubber which is in constant use to cancel appointments she decides aren't really that important . I kid you not ).)

:lolol:

I hope NSC’s resident French, Poles and Hungarians aren’t hurt by your reports from the continent.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here