Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1366419147924635659?s=21

“Wow - today’s reported cases figure of 5,455 is 48.7% down on last week’s equivalent. Remember that last Monday’s number was higher than expected - but even so!”

Seven-day averages:

Today: 7,980
Yesterday: 8,721 (-8.5%)
A week ago: 11,187 (-28.7%)
9 Jan peak: 59,660 (-86.6%)

“Today’s reported deaths figure of 104 is a 41.6% down on last Monday and the lowest we’ve seen since Monday 26 October (102). More evidence the fall is accelerating.”

https://twitter.com/fact_covid/status/1366419605921689610?s=21

Usual update :

Infections - 5,455, rolling 7 day down 28.7% (interesting how the downward trend has been re-established after a few days of 'stagnation' - proves the point on not getting hung up on the daily numbers, but focus on the trends)
Deaths - 104, rolling 7 day down 34.7% (yet more acceleration downwards)
Admissions - 1,112, rolling 7 day down 22.1%
Vaccinations - 185k first (40k UP on last Monday's number) and 19k second. 20.2m first jabs administered.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Usual update :

Infections - 5,455, rolling 7 day down 28.7% (interesting how the downward trend has been re-established after a few days of 'stagnation' - proves the point on not getting hung up on the daily numbers, but focus on the trends)
Deaths - 104, rolling 7 day down 34.7% (yet more acceleration downwards)
Admissions - 1,112, rolling 7 day down 22.1%
Vaccinations - 185k first (40k UP on last Monday's number) and 19k second. 20.2m first jabs administered.

Is that not what I posted?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Similar but not the rolling 7 day averages for each which I'm keeping a daily eye on - still think they're the most useful numbers.............

Well done though, it's usually you repeating earlier posts :):)

Lol...so I take it you were still eating cake today :D

I also kept at eye on the 7 day figure as they allow for the odd day out of trend

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Lol...so I take it you were still eating cake today :D

I also kept at eye on the 7 day figure as they allow for the odd day out of trend

Haha - I can't escape with just having cake there - you know what mothers are like, I had to bring some home as well........might go hungry apparently.......:)

It's funny looking at the wailing on social media over the numbers - there will be tweets today about 'awful vaccination numbers' reported today for example (ignoring the fact that they are always low on a Monday). People (including a few on here as you know) jump on single day or short term fluctuations when it's almost always the reporting that's irregular, not the actuality. All the main numbers are are trending rapidly in the right direction at the moment and I reckon this will become even more evident in death and hospitalisation numbers as the vaccinations really take hold.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Haha - I can't escape with just having cake there - you know what mothers are like, I had to bring some home as well........might go hungry apparently.......:)

It's funny looking at the wailing on social media over the numbers - there will be tweets today about 'awful vaccination numbers' reported today for example (ignoring the fact that they are always low on a Monday). People (including a few on here as you know) jump on single day or short term fluctuations when it's almost the reporting that's irregular, not the actuality. All the main numbers are are trending rapidly in the right direction at the moment and I reckon this will be come even more evident in death and hospitalisation numbers as the vaccinations really take hold.

Agreed ..no doubt MSM won’t give the prominence it deserves

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Sensational.

CE3FB0DC-89AE-4AD1-A36B-2F5512AB48FD.jpeg

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I just wanted to add to those great charts showing the decline in cases, illness and death in the over 80s cohort, so I knocked together this chart in Excel from the government's daily infection rate data. It's looking at the daily change in rolling 7 day average in infection rate - essentially measuring the speed at which the virus is either growing or declining (going back to July last year - data prior to that is not very reliable).

rir-fw.png

A few interesting takeaways:

• This is by far the longest period of decline in the virus on record - we've had 48 consecutive days where the infection rate has fallen by at least 10% week-on-week
  • It's also the most significant in terms of the rate of decline - 9 out of the 10 biggest daily WoW drops occur in either January or February
  • Compare the rate of decline at the beginning of January to the beginning of November - it was much, much steeper in January
There are some other interesting features - the emergence of the Kent variant in September is clear to see, and it's also clear that only two things keep the virus in recession. One is lockdown. The other, absolutely unequivocally now, is vaccines. There is simply no other explanation for it.

Absolutely remarkable.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I just wanted to add to those great charts showing the decline in cases, illness and death in the over 80s cohort, so I knocked together this chart in Excel from the government's daily infection rate data. It's looking at the daily change in rolling 7 day average in infection rate - essentially measuring the speed at which the virus is either growing or declining (going back to July last year - data prior to that is not very reliable).

View attachment 134369

• This is by far the longest period of decline in the virus on record - we've had 48 consecutive days where the infection rate has fallen by at least 10% week-on-week
  • It's also the most significant in terms of the rate of decline - 9 out of the 10 biggest daily WoW drops occur in either January or February
  • Compare the rate of decline at the beginning of January to the beginning of November - it was much, much steeper in January
There are some other interesting features - the emergence of the Kent variant in September is clear to see, and it's also clear that only two things keep the virus in recession. One is lockdown. The other, absolutely unequivocally now, is vaccines. There is simply no other explanation for it.

Absolutely remarkable.

Edit...sorry was going to challenge something but not in spirit of the thread

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Edit...sorry was going to challenge something but not in spirit of the thread

Ah ok, feel free to PM me and I’ll correct anything I’ve got wrong if that’s the case. I take absolutely no offence in having my errors pointed out (unless it’s by my wife, the grumpy old bag).

You’re not my wife, are you? :eek:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

View attachment 134369

Absolutely remarkable.

The way I see it, the strict lockdown is going to be mostly responsible for getting us to very low infections/admissions/deaths, and the vaccine is going to keep us there. We’re now firmly in the handover period where both are contributing. Looks as though we’re going to heading towards 1 million jabs a day in a couple of weeks time. Mind-blowing.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The way I see it, the strict lockdown is going to be mostly responsible for getting us to very low infections/admissions/deaths, and the vaccine is going to keep us there. We’re now firmly in the handover period where both are contributing. Looks as though we’re going to heading towards 1 million jabs a day in a couple of weeks time. Mind-blowing.

Hmm..opinions on lockdown though should really be discussed on the main forum don’t you think?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Yes......that’s not really an opinion though, it’s just a fact of where we are/heading.

Well I would challenge it for a start ..with another set of charts.....and don’t agree that strict (?) lockdowns are largely responsible....and of course it ignores the negatives etc.....vaccines no argument there....but potential for the thread to be derailed...just my opinion :)

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

1m’s a neat number where half or more could be getting their first dose (still a fantastic daily tally in its own right), whilst 100,000’s a day get their second vax within the 12 weeks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
1m’s a neat number where half or more could be getting their first dose (still a fantastic daily tally in its own right), whilst 100,000’s a day get their second vax within the 12 weeks.

Seems as though the infrastructure is all ready.......just need the increased supplies which are on the way. Everyone getting jabbed now is saying how fantastically efficient the process has become. :clap2::clap2:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Seems as though the infrastructure is all ready.......just need the increased supplies which are on the way. Everyone getting jabbed now is saying how fantastically efficient the process has become. :clap2::clap2:

For a programme covering tens of millions over 4 nations, with vital protocols such as keeping all vaccines at their storage correct temperature, it’s incredible that there’s barely a ripple of negative news. At most, just the occasional call to radio/tv shows with a “postcode lottery” grumble.

Kate Bingham and a whole load of other folk must’ve spent 2020 planning and testing this system to perfection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here