Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Sister and Wife both called up for a jab this weekend. 51 & 48, but with health conditions that neither they nor I knew were on the list.

Same here. I’m in for mine tomorrow despite only being 35 and having an asymptomatic congenital heart condition that I didn’t even know I had until my late 20’s when it was picked up as part of a routine medical. I’m fit and healthy as far as I know, but the approach appears to be very risk averse when it comes to even the slightest condition, which I assume data somewhere backs up.

Admittedly, I’ve had mixed feelings. Pleased to be getting it of course, but also oddly guilty. Am I getting it before someone who needs it more than me? I’m also a little bit old school, and whether it’s outdated now or not I was brought up with a ‘ladies first’ attitude - I feel like I should be letting my wife have it first, though I realise it doesn’t work that way.

If I’m completely honest, it probably hurt my macho bravado in that I might somehow be considered ‘vulnerable’ - I tried telling the nice NHS lady that I’m as hard as nails but she wasn’t having any of it. :)

Anyway, the really good news is just how fast this is all moving along. I wasn’t even confident of getting my first dose this year and then here we are, before the end of Feb. It really is astoundingly good work from all involved.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Same here. I’m in for mine tomorrow despite only being 35 and having an asymptomatic congenital heart condition that I didn’t even know I had until my late 20’s when it was picked up as part of a routine medical. I’m fit and healthy as far as I know, but the approach appears to be very risk averse when it comes to even the slightest condition, which I assume data somewhere backs up.

Admittedly, I’ve had mixed feelings. Pleased to be getting it of course, but also oddly guilty. Am I getting it before someone who needs it more than me? I’m also a little bit old school, and whether it’s outdated now or not I was brought up with a ‘ladies first’ attitude - I feel like I should be letting my wife have it first, though I realise it doesn’t work that way.

If I’m completely honest, it probably hurt my macho bravado in that I might somehow be considered ‘vulnerable’ - I tried telling the nice NHS lady that I’m as hard as nails but she wasn’t having any of it. :)

Anyway, the really good news is just how fast this is all moving along. I wasn’t even confident of getting my first dose this year and then here we are, before the end of Feb. It really is astoundingly good work from all involved.

I understand it but don’t feel guilty. We want as many as possible vaccinated as quickly as possible. You getting vaccinated helps this end.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I understand it but don’t feel guilty. We want as many as possible vaccinated as quickly as possible. You getting vaccinated helps this end.

Yep, that's the attitude I've tried to take. Not that I venture much further than the supermarket these days (where else is there to go!?), I'm probably still more mobile than many of the older folk that have had it so if I'm one less dickhead to be abe to pick it up and it onto somebody else, that has to be a good thing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Might be a bit of a silly one to some, but Matt Hancock is suggesting this morning that HUGGING friends and family will be back on the menu from 17th May.

No sneaky illegal back alley hugging sessions at 2am on 16th May, you lot.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Ah excellent news! I was wondering if you'd had the call as well. I've got mine booked in for Saturday, same heart condition as you.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Ah excellent news! I was wondering if you'd had the call as well. I've got mine booked in for Saturday, same heart condition as you.

Yep, I'm in this afternoon - 4:18pm to be precise (don't be early, don't be late, they said).

Best of luck mate - stay safe! :)

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Brighton Centre is now taking over 60s bookings with no underlying conditions
Excellent news. Any one within 60 miles can use it, although the NHS booking link says it only accepts over 65's so not sure how a 60 year old would make a booking.

Encouraging that they have started the priority 7's now.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Excellent news. Any one within 60 miles can use it, although the NHS booking link says it only accepts over 65's so not sure how a 60 year old makes a booking.

The NHS site now says over 64, but I know a 60 year old who just carried on through about 15 mins ago, entered their date of birth, answered all the questions, put no underlying conditions and booked themselves in for tomorrow morning :blush:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Data update :

Infections - new low in this wave, 8,489, rolling 7 day down 11.8%
Deaths - 548, rolling 7 day down 28.4%
Admissions - 1,323, rolling 7 day down 20.7%
Vaccinations - 192k first, 18k second.

Apparently some supply drop-off was expected for the last two weeks in Feb as AZ made some changes, hence the lower numbers currently being seen.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Excellent news. Any one within 60 miles can use it, although the NHS booking link says it only accepts over 65's so not sure how a 60 year old would make a booking.

Encouraging that they have started the priority 7's now.

They are Also dealing with those on carers allowance

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The NHS site now says over 64, but I know a 60 year old who just carried on through about 15 mins ago, entered their date of birth, answered all the questions, put no underlying conditions and booked themselves in for tomorrow morning :blush:
Great. As soon as it accepts category 9's I'm in !

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Just had the Pfizer jab at my local doctor’s surgery (where I’m typing from the post-jab waiting room now). Appointment was at 4:18 - I walked through the door at 4:17 and was in the waiting room by 4:19. Absolutely no fúcking about whatsoever.

Absolutely remarkable work from all involved.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Data update :

Infections - new low in this wave, 8,489, rolling 7 day down 11.8%
Deaths - 548, rolling 7 day down 28.4%
Admissions - 1,323, rolling 7 day down 20.7%
Vaccinations - 192k first, 18k second.

Apparently some supply drop-off was expected for the last two weeks in Feb as AZ made some changes, hence the lower numbers currently being seen.

And the Zoe symptom study app has now been adjusted for the glitch (people reporting vaccine side effect as symptoms) that was leading to an over-estimation in numbers - and now showing under 10,000 new daily (symptomatic) infections for the first time (this wave) at 9,651.

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Mrs W had her jab nearly 5 weeks ago, she has been on chemo constantly for 7 years for a rare interstitial lung disease. She has been shielding for 12 months solid, and I have done everything I possibly can to keep her safe, because she is completely defenceless.

This afternoon I got my call, I’m booked in for my jab on Saturday. I’m under 60 but have long term cardio-vascular risk. When I got the call I was at home alone, and I just sat here silent and cried, because I can now very almost say Mrs W is safe. Thank you to all the healthcare and volunteer heroes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here