Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Daily data is out :

Positive tests - yesterdays big drop doesn’t appear to be an anomaly, as it’s similar today with 20,089 positive tests reported (reminder again this was 70k+ 3 weeks ago at the peak). 7 day rolling total now down over 26%

Hospitalisations also down again, rolling 7 days down 7.2% for new admissions

Vaccinations - 279k first doses (over 70k higher than last Monday)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Daily data is out :

Positive tests - yesterdays big drop doesn’t appear to be an anomaly, as it’s similar today with 20,089 positive tests reported (reminder again this was 70k+ 3 weeks ago at the peak). 7 day rolling total now down over 26%

Next milestone get that number below 20,000 new cases. Still high but the trajectory is very good at the moment.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Next milestone get that number below 20,000 new cases. Still high but the trajectory is very good at the moment.

It’s dropped to 20k from over 30k two days ago so I don’t see 20k as a milestone - looking more towards 10k and 5k now.......but more interested in seeing a corresponding drop in hospitalisations next, then we know we’re heading for the sun.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Daily data is out :

This graph is looking good, I always look at the 7 day average as a guide and the line looks nice and steep

10463e73-fac4-466b-a224-a009e79234a7.png

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Keep these positive posts coming, it’s the best thread on NSC atm.

I understand that those being vaccinated at the Brighton Centre can park free in Churchill Square car park for one hour. I love these little touches and the thought that has gone into them. Also a taxi firm (can’t remember which) is offering free travel to/from vaccine centres for those who can’t afford it.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Keep these positive posts coming, it’s the best thread on NSC atm.

I understand that those being vaccinated at the Brighton Centre can park free in Churchill Square car park for one hour. I love these little touches and the thought that has gone into them. Also a taxi firm (can’t remember which) is offering free travel to/from vaccine centres for those who can’t afford it.

That's fantastic, hats off to NCP and the taxi company, don't know why but the actions of the taxi company particularly have brought a tear to my eye

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It’s dropped to 20k from over 30k two days ago so I don’t see 20k as a milestone - looking more towards 10k and 5k now.......but more interested in seeing a corresponding drop in hospitalisations next, then we know we’re heading for the sun.

There has been some quite negative stuff in the press lately alluding to this latest, tough lockdown persisting for many months to come, but let’s just look at it pragmatically. We are more or less on target to have the 15m most vulnerable people vaccinated (first dose) by the middle of February, so allowing the extra two weeks for the effects to kick in for those at the back of the queue, we have a point at the beginning of March where those most likely to become seriously ill have a good level of protection.

We’re currently seeing a roughly 25% week-on-week drop in cases, with the latest figures hovering just above 20k. Provided there is no drastic change or new development, I’d expect us to be in the low single digit thousands of daily cases by the start of March, which is incredible based on where we were just a few weeks ago.

So there we have two very important things - a relatively low prevalence of virus, and widespread levels of protection in the most vulnerable. We should also have a third, and equally crucial factor by this point. With Israel set to cross the 50% mark for first doses imminently, we should have a much more robust idea of what vaccine induced immunity does in terms of transmission. There of course remain many ‘ifs’ in this respect, but the early signs look promising.

Things aren’t going to be ‘normal by Easter’, but I can see something resembling tier 2 life sometime in March, with something similar to what we enjoyed from late June through to the end of August last year, by May. More importantly, my expectation is that we’ll have a very clear and definitive roadmap out. And genuine hope and optimism are two vital commodities right now!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
There has been some quite negative stuff in the press lately alluding to this latest, tough lockdown persisting for many months to come, but let’s just look at it pragmatically. We are more or less on target to have the 15m most vulnerable people vaccinated (first dose) by the middle of February, so allowing the extra two weeks for the effects to kick in for those at the back of the queue, we have a point at the beginning of March where those most likely to become seriously ill have a good level of protection.

We’re currently seeing a roughly 25% week-on-week drop in cases, with the latest figures hovering just above 20k. Provided there is no drastic change or new development, I’d expect us to be in the low single digit thousands of daily cases by the start of March, which is incredible based on where we were just a few weeks ago.

So there we have two very important things - a relatively low prevalence of virus, and widespread levels of protection in the most vulnerable. We should also have a third, and equally crucial factor by this point. With Israel set to cross the 50% mark for first doses imminently, we should have a much more robust idea of what vaccine induced immunity does in terms of transmission. There of course remain many ‘ifs’ in this respect, but the early signs look promising.

Things aren’t going to be ‘normal by Easter’, but I can see something resembling tier 2 life sometime in March, with something similar to what we enjoyed from late June through to the end of August last year, by May. More importantly, my expectation is that we’ll have a very clear and definitive roadmap out. And genuine hope and optimism are two vital commodities right now!

Precisely. There is an awful lot of negativity around at the moment (including on NSC) but objective analysis of the emerging data paints a potentially far more optimistic picture. Tier 2 or similar in a few weeks, with lighter nights and better weather, will seem like a different world.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Precisely. There is an awful lot of negativity around at the moment (including on NSC) but objective analysis of the emerging data paints a potentially far more optimistic picture. Tier 2 or similar in a few weeks, with lighter nights and better weather, will seem like a different world.

Media negativity is, in my view, adding to all the current mental health/anxiety issues many people are already suffering.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Beer gardens and the kids back at school. F**cking marvellous!

:drink::O

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
That's fantastic, hats off to NCP and the taxi company, don't know why but the actions of the taxi company particularly have brought a tear to my eye

I know this is the good news thread but I wouldn't want to credit ncp, as it's not run by ncp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
There has also been negative press comparing UK deaths to other countries. But they have no idea or any interest in finding out how other countries are recording deaths. Are they "with" covid or "of" covid. UK deaths are "with" covid. They also make no account for different types of countries, the most weird comparison trotted out is the UK to New Zealand, as if they are remotely comparable. They also genuinely seem to think that many totalitarian countries will actually be recording statistics properly. It's just bizarre. There is then not in the press coverage any warning that they might not be comparing like for like and perhaps the time to compare is when excess deaths figures can be reviewed. The press then seem to be genuinely confused when people lose confidence in them. They really do need to up their game. This thread seems far better than pretty much all covid in the press that I have seen or heard.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
There has also been negative press comparing UK deaths to other countries. But they have no idea or any interest in finding out how other countries are recording deaths. Are they "with" covid or "of" covid. UK deaths are "with" covid. They also make no account for different types of countries, the most weird comparison trotted out is the UK to New Zealand, as if they are remotely comparable. They also genuinely seem to think that many totalitarian countries will actually be recording statistics properly. It's just bizarre. There is then not in the press coverage any warning that they might not be comparing like for like and perhaps the time to compare is when excess deaths figures can be reviewed. The press then seem to be genuinely confused when people lose confidence in them. They really do need to up their game. This thread seems far better than pretty much all covid in the press that I have seen or heard.

Country by country death comparisons are totally wrong how can anyone trust China when it took them a month to admit to the World Health Organisation Covid transmitted through human contact.

However I will shut up, this is a positivity thread

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Thank you for your reports from or very close to the front line. I suspect that you don't wear a stethoscope but that those who do rely on your support behind the scenes.

You are correct, I don’t wear a stethoscope but I do work on all the wards so am privy to the daily numbers as it changes from day to day which areas I can work on.

Will continue to update when I have something positive to report, keep the faith people

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
AstraZeneca CEO on Oxford vaccine:

“One dose gives 100% protection against severe disease and hospitalisation, and 71-73 percent of efficacy overall. The second dose is needed for long term protection. But you get a better efficiency if you get the 2nd dose later than earlier."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here