Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone else finding this news a bit.......emotional ? (The vaccine approval, not the news that someone would actually have mayo with a pork pie)

I felt like I FLOATED to work this morning.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
What a wonderful, & monumental day for Science.

Every single person involved in creating these vaccines, wherever they are from, should be honored in one way or another.

Hopefully this marks a watershed when we can stop giving out gongs to the likes of Philip Green and start giving them to the people who really make a difference

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1334046515233497090[/TWEET]

Should hopefully mean that by the end of February we should be well on our way out of the woods

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1334046515233497090[/TWEET]

Should hopefully mean that by the end of February we should be well on our way out of the woods

Yeah, I think February is when we'll start to see a real shift in this situation.

Government may find it hard to keep people following restrictions into March/April - like teachers trying to keep kids in class and focused on the afternoon of the final day of term.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Yeah, I think February is when we'll start to see a real shift in this situation.

Government may find it hard to keep people following restrictions into March/April - like teachers trying to keep kids in class and focused on the afternoon of the final day of term.

I just hope people are sensible in January / February with the end in sight and don't start going too nuts, which in turn could lead to another unnecessary spike and put the programme at unnecessary risk for the rest of us.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
So what percentage of people need to be jabbed for restriction to be lifted?

Say - NHS workers and over 60s?

I’m not talking about anti Vaxers

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I just hope people are sensible in January / February with the end in sight and don't start going too nuts, which in turn could lead to another unnecessary spike and put the programme at unnecessary risk for the rest of us.

Indeed - would feel very stupid to catch/pass on coronavirus with potentially just weeks to go.

If we can keep numbers low(ish) til end of Jan, the vaccine should start taking over gradually after that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
So what percentage of people need to be jabbed for restriction to be lifted?

Say - NHS workers and over 60s?

I’m not talking about anti Vaxers

Prof Jonathan Van Tam (JVT - probably my favourite of the "science guys" throughout this pandemic) has said that vaccinating the most vulnerable 33% would likely stop 99% of deaths.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Prof Jonathan Van Tam (JVT - probably my favourite of the "science guys" throughout this pandemic) has said that vaccinating the most vulnerable 33% would likely stop 99% of deaths.

Excellent - So if our Gov don’t **** up roll out should be a couple of months.

They really need to up the “it’s safe because of XYZ” PR

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Excellent - So if our Gov don’t **** up roll out should be a couple of months.

They really need to up the “it’s safe because of XYZ” PR

Agreed. Too quiet on the "why this vaccine is safe" stuff so far.

Guess they were waiting for approval. Hopefully the messaging will really ramp up now.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
COVID-19 update

We at BSUH are currently caring for 54 people with COVID-19 in our hospitals, including six in our critical care units. (Figures from Dec 1.)

Although amazing news re the Vaccine please remain vigilant people just for a bit longer. We don't want to be losing people now, weeks before they would get a jab.

Marshy

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
COVID-19 update

We at BSUH are currently caring for 54 people with COVID-19 in our hospitals, including six in our critical care units. (Figures from Dec 1.)

Although amazing news re the Vaccine please remain vigilant people just for a bit longer. We don't want to be losing people now, weeks before they would get a jab.

Marshy

This

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I have to admit to doing a little jig around the kitchen this morning when I heard the approval news on Today. This is FANTASTIC news.

And please lay off the Brexit nonsense on here people.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I've heard it often mentioned about the possibility of needing to have the vaccine to travel with some long-haul airlines or to attend certain events.

With the vaccination programme about to be unrolled I haven't seen any mention of how confirmation will be provided.
If they don't have something in place for a phone app or a paper certificate I envisage it could be difficult to get evidence 6 months later when we might need to produce a document.

Has any one heard any news of what will be provided?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've heard it often mentioned about the possibility of needing to have the vaccine to travel with some long-haul airlines or to attend certain events.

With the vaccination programme about to be unrolled I haven't seen any mention of how confirmation will be provided.
If they don't have something in place for a phone app or a paper certificate I envisage it could be difficult to get evidence 6 months later when we might need to produce a document.

Has any one heard any news of what will be provided?

We won't need it in 6 months. Once 70% of the population have been vaccinated, the R number will drop to <1 even without social distancing and other safeguards and the virus will soon become rare enough that we don't need to worry about it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here