Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
True. To keep it on the good news side cases figures dont seem to reflect serious cases and I cling to the hope the slight uptick is down to the targeted testing in these areas which is leading to the local measures we are currently seeing

The covid symptom study is indicating that overall, aross the UK, things have been pretty steady (and low) for a few weeks (up to the 26th July) now, but with a lot of variation at local level. So it certainly looks like the increased positive tests is likely down to more targeted testing and that identification of problems and strong early action at more local level is going to be the best way to keep things under control.

(Slightly less good news alert)

It also indicates you might want to take a bit more care if out and about in Lewes.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
The covid symptom study is indicating that overall, aross the UK, things have been pretty steady (and low) for a few weeks (up to the 26th July) now, but with a lot of variation at local level. So it certainly looks like the increased positive tests is likely down to more targeted testing and that identification of problems and strong early action at more local level is going to be the best way to keep things under control.

It also indicates you might want to take a bit more care if out and about in Lewes.

Is there a local spike in lewes then? I've not looked at those figures

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

I was a little confused by Johnson's comments today that in my mind do not tie up:

1. The R is between 0.8 and 0.9 nationally.
2. The prevalence of COVID-19 in our nation is currently increasing.

Both of these statements can't be true at the same time. Anyone?

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I was a little confused by Johnson's comments today that in my mind do not tie up:

That made no sense to me.either

D

Deleted member 2719

*Good News Thread Alert*

I would be a good moderator.:wink:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I find it odd how the unlocking was all happening when the R rate was stated as being between 0.7 and 0.8, but now things are being locked back up at 0.8 to 0.9,

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
*Good News Thread Alert*

I would be a good moderator.:wink:

I know - was hoping it would just be a quick aside with hopefully a positive answer.

Also, I hate pretty much every other Coronavirus thread. Ha.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I find it odd how the unlocking was all happening when the R rate was stated as being between 0.7 and 0.8, but now things are being locked back up at 0.8 to 0.9,

Perhaps it's that it's at 0.8-0.9, but if this continue in current direction of travel the Government fear it would tip over 1 again?

Which is a bit of a complex message for the masses, so I can understand if that's why it has been simplified (to something which doesn't quite make sense, but hey).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

There is a lag between the recorded R rate and the actual R rate.
So although the R rate is stated as between 0.8 and 0.9 given the increasing numbers it is probably just over 1, and the official R rate in a weeks or so time will reflect that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
There is a lag between the recorded R rate and the actual R rate.
So although the R rate is stated as between 0.8 and 0.9 given the increasing numbers it is probably just over 1, and the official R rate in a weeks or so time will reflect that.

Understood - however, they shouldn't state that the R is at 0.8-0.9 now then, if it is incorrect and misleading.

Yoda

English & European

Hopefully I've done the table correctly
Local Authority AreaJune Cases (Confirmed)July Cases to date (Confirmed)
Adur136
Arun2310
Brighton & Hove9946
Chichester1114
Crawley3241
Eastbourne5462
Hastings77
Horsham5111
Lewes3520
Mid Sussex3018
Rother1910
Wealdon5534
Worthing2617

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hopefully I've done the table correctly
Local Authority AreaJune Cases (Confirmed)July Cases to date (Confirmed)
Adur136
Arun2310
Brighton & Hove9946
Chichester1114
Crawley3241
Eastbourne5462
Hastings77
Horsham5111
Lewes3520
Mid Sussex3018
Rother1910
Wealdon5534
Worthing2617

Bad news if it's rising in Eastbourne given the demographics

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

Well, it's bounced up a bit on that system, but given how it works I'd assume at a very local level a small increase in people reporting symptoms could lead to a bounce in predicted cases quite easily. And it is just predicted based on people self reporting, not actual, positve tests. All of which is to say I definitely am not trying to raise any concerns. Even if accurate, numbers are still very low, it's just relative to even lower areas around it.

Wherever we are, it is up to all of us to be careful, and do whatever we can to KEEP numbers low, rather than waiting for it to go up and then getting into another lockdown.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
[Tweet]1289532357259665408[/tweet]

Despite the levelling off and recent increases in cases we have seen death numbers in hospital continue to fall.

Some much needed balance to a few days of doom and gloom Postie. Excellent news

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Some much needed balance to a few days of doom and gloom Postie. Excellent news

Lets just hope this figure is about the same in 10 days to a fortnights time.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
51 deaths in the last 5 days reported from in NHS hospitals, which is the lowest number since before lockdown.

Absolutely bizarrely, in that same 5 days, PHE outside hospital have reported 370 deaths. It’s simply astonishing, 3 weeks since the review was ordered and still no resolution to this quite clear total nonsense, 7 times the amount of people are dying outside of hospital from COVID than in hospital? Bull***t.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
51 deaths in the last 5 days reported from in NHS hospitals, which is the lowest number since before lockdown.

Absolutely bizarrely, in that same 5 days, PHE outside hospital have reported 370 deaths. It’s simply astonishing, 3 weeks since the review was ordered and still no resolution to this quite clear total nonsense, 7 times the amount of people are dying outside of hospital from COVID than in hospital? Bull***t.

It's very hard to assess risk with the confusion around the number of deaths attributable to COVID.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

More testing coupled with people being more careful.

In other words - we're finding more, but it is amongst groups of people who are generally
very careful and not spreading it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here