Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Please post positive news relating to Coronavirus in this thread

For each post, include a link to somewhere that, in your opinion, appears to be a legitimate source, along with a short precis or quote relating to the news.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen expressed optimism Tuesday that a coronavirus vaccine could hit the market "perhaps before autumn."

In a video, von der Leyen referred to talks with CureVac, a biotech company working on a coronavirus vaccine. The EU has offered the company €80 million in financial backing.

“I hope that with this support, we can have a vaccine on the market, perhaps before autumn,” she said.

Thorsten Schüller, a CureVac spokesman, told POLITICO that going through all three phases of the clinical trials process normally takes “years," but he declined to respond to von der Leyen’s predictions.

Given the clamor for a coronavirus vaccine, he added, “We assume that the process will be shortened. This depends on the authorities.”

In an interview with German media site Sport1, CureVac majority investor Dietmar Hopp said timing depends on the German national regulator. However, he added, the shot “ought to be available in autumn” in case the virus comes back after the summer.​

Source: https://www.politico.eu/article/urs...vaccine-by-autumn-defying-expert-predictions/ (also reported elsewhere - CNN etc)

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Because of Coronavirus I've been working at home today.

Earlier, the doorbell rang and it was my neighbour. She has twins who had their third birthday today. She'd bought a massive ("serves 18") chocolate birthday cake from Waitrose and they'd only eaten half of it, didn't want to give the children any more, so offered the rest to me. It's delicious.

It's not all doom and gloom.

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
No air travel = the planet might yet be saved. Convert all the planes into affordable housing and everyone holidays in their home country in the future reinvigorating each country’s tourism sector post-Corona. Win win.

el punal

Well, this is something I said to Mrs.Punal earlier today. Firstly, at least this pandemic is happening now and not just before Christmas. Secondly, it is now Spring so at least a lot of us can do things in the garden or allotment. Thirdly, at least we managed to take in three quarters of the Premier League season.

Yes, I know, small crumbs of comfort - but anything that helps. :drink:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If anyone is still looking for bog roll please remember that the tabloid newspapers are still in wide circulation. The Daily Star is only 40p and can be cut into six sheets per page. The Daily Express is 60p and although the words are more quilted they'll be a lot of shit on the paper before you even start wiping.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Jehovah’s Witnesses will be chuffed everyone’s at home.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Well, this is something I said to Mrs.Punal earlier today. Firstly, at least this pandemic is happening now and not just before Christmas. Secondly, it is now Spring so at least a lot of us can do things in the garden or allotment. Thirdly, at least we managed to take in three quarters of the Premier League season.

Yes, I know, small crumbs of comfort - but anything that helps. :drink:

I was talking today to one of my elderly customers...who was feeling a tad ‘isolated’ with all there ‘social’ events being cancelled ...hoping that it will be a good early summer and that they would be able to sit in the garden with another elderly friend round...sitting the recommended space apart

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No links, sorry, but things I've thought about:

- General wake up call, hopefully a realisation that privatisation and slimming on the state & its health care etc cant only be based on "growth" and "economical effectiveness"

- The 100k respirators or so expected to be built in Europe the nextcoming months will be useful for a long time after this all ends

- The money going into medical research and developing new methods etc. will be very useful. Compare it to the development of military tools during WWII, but with medicine instead. Who knows, someone might stumble upon something like "the positive equivalent" of the nuclear bomb.

- Not likely but theoretically we could see an overhaul of the whole macroeconomic system, or at least a bit of a reset. The dream is banks all over the world saying "nah is no problem, we'll throw your/your companys/your states debt in the bin".

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Just renewed my car & home insurance with Admiral.

Foreign bloody call centre? Yes!

But wait, it’s been farmed out to the USA as I assume they UK one is closer. Dealt with a male & then a female and what a sucker I was for their customer service and accents. Got £70 off my renewal which would have been a lot more if they’d not charmed the shit out of me. Give em’ a ring, so lovely to talk to a yank.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Maybe this will bring in some way bring us together and heal a divided country.

I was listening to Boris Johnson talk the other day and my first reaction wasn't anger and utter contempt. I even believed some of the things he was saying. Maybe, (and he's the longshot) I won't come to regret my naivety and lack of cycnicism. Maybe others will follow

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here