Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Where did you get tested out of interest ?

I didn't. As i said i know i have it. I'm displaying the symptoms. My fever was bad a couple of days ago

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I didn't. As i said i know i have it. I'm displaying the symptoms. My fever was bad a couple of days ago

On the basis less that than 20% of those suspected of having it (by qualified medical people and then get sent for testing) actually have it, I'd suggest you you don't know for sure.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
[TWEET]1244924449650024448[/TWEET]

I think he's being a little optimistic even by my own standards, but I hope he's even close to being right. Where he says "a return to some normality" I'm assuming he means the first of a VERY gradual relaxing of social distancing rules.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I think he's being a little optimistic even by my own standards, but I hope he's even close to being right. Where he says "a return to some normality" I'm assuming he means the first of a VERY gradual relaxing of social distancing rules.

Well he has decent credentials. It is good to hear a more positive spin. Let's hope he's right.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well he has decent credentials. It is good to hear a more positive spin. Let's hope he's right.

"Oncologist for 50 years. CMO of Rutherford Health. Founding Dean and Professor of Medicine at the Uni of Buckingham. Ex-director of the WHO Cancer Programme."

Indeed he does. Here's hoping. He had previously said by June, so I wonder what he has seen in the data in the last 2-3 days to make him think as early as sometime in May now...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
"Oncologist for 50 years. CMO of Rutherford Health. Founding Dean and Professor of Medicine at the Uni of Buckingham. Ex-director of the WHO Cancer Programme."

Indeed he does. Here's hoping. He had previously said by June, so I wonder what he has seen in the data in the last 2-3 days to make him think as early as sometime in May now...

I imagine he is tracking positive cases and if the level of new cases continues to rise more slowly, then I guess he is looking at things dropping off sooner rather than later.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I imagine he is tracking positive cases and if the level of new cases continues to rise more slowly, then I guess he is looking at things dropping off sooner rather than later.

I’m hopeful it’s more in detail than that given his credentials! Also, pretty much everyone expects number of cases to rise in line with more tests being carried out, no?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

This does seem extremely optimistic. Fingers crossed but I'd be very surprised if we saw much of a relaxation before June.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
West Sussex still only has 113 confirmed cases.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Also, pretty much everyone expects number of cases to rise in line with more tests being carried out, no?

I would hope they have the discrete data that would show a comparison with the previous ways they have been testing for positive cases. If that starts slowing and then falling then that is enough to be pretty confident that things are moving the correct way.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Good news for a couple of us – me, Hart's Shirt, seagulldubai…

"The United Arab Emirates is now testing more of its population for Coronavirus per head than any other country, and is on track with the help of Chinese technology to scale up the level of testing to reach the bulk of the population.

A UAE spokeswoman said “testing is at the heart of our containment strategy”, but said it had set no date by which it will reach the entire population of 9m.

The UAE health department says it has so far carried out 220,000 laboratory tests representing 22,900 tests per million people, the second highest test density in the world.

The UAE is making two moves to scale up the level of testing further. It has introduced drive through testing initially in Abu Dhabi with those suspected of carrying the virus tested for free, and those showing no symptoms offered a test at a $100 fee. The first drive through testing centre was opened at the Zayed sports city in Abu Dhabi and is capable of testing 600 people per day over a 12 hour period

The nasal swab test takes about 5 minutes. A further 8 test sites are being opened each capable of testing 600 per day.

In a second development, Group 42, an Abu Dhabi based technology firm, and the Chinese global genomics leader BGI, announced on Tuesday the launch of a mass-throughput laboratory. The lab, modelled on one built in Wuhan, China is capable of conducting tens of thousands real-time “reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction”, (RT-PCR) tests per day. The company claims it is the first in the world of this scale to be operational outside of China.

Peng Xiao, Chief Executive of G42, said: “This high throughput lab provides the scale and firepower to enable all people in Abu Dhabi and the UAE to access the most reliable PCR tests, which are also provided by G42 in partnership with BGI. We thank the UAE leadership’s support in protecting the health and wellbeing of the country’s residents against this pandemic.”

Overall the UAE in the final week of March was testing at rate of just over 10,000 per day, The speed with which the UAE, a wealthy oil Gulf state, has moved to harness Chinese technology raises questions as to why some western countries have been unable to source testing kits and set up infrastructure with comparable speed."

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Latest news from Tesco re their "Supporting our Communities" scheme:

In the last year, we’ve donated approximately 25 million meals from our stores and distribution centres. We’ve also donated almost £70m to good causes through our charity partnerships, community grants and colleague fundraising.

However, some of the community organisations that we work with are really under pressure at the moment. So we have tried to identify the best ways to help, and today confirm a £30m package of support:

We currently donate £3m of food every month through our Community Food Connection scheme and distribution centres. On top of that, we’ll also provide £15m of food donations (ambient and fresh) to FareShare and the Trussell Trust over the next 12 weeks – food they need for distribution to community groups and food banks. In addition, we’ll donate £1m between the two organisations to support their continuing operations.

We will focus £2m of funding from our Bags of Help community donation scheme to charities that are helping the most vulnerable.

Building on our existing partnership with the British Red Cross, we’re donating £2m to help them with the extra costs they face in supporting people in need.

Our stores have access to over £1m of funding so that they can support causes in their local neighbourhood.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Road fatalities must be down? The figures are never publicised but they must be up there with Chigagos murder rate?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here