Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Also more reports from Israel that infections and hospitalisation have continued to rise in all other age groups EXCEPT the over 60’s, can’t be coincidence and surely must be the vaccine beginning to take effect?

View attachment 132902View attachment 132903

Are they actually rising, or just increasing as a % of the total as the overall number drops as the O60s fall away from the numbers ?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/l...d-19-nasal-spray-ready-for-use-in-humans.aspx

This could be in the shops soon according to today's Telegraph. Will be another weapon in the in the arsenal if it works. Will be especially good if the vaccines don't stop transmission.

Also more reports from Israel that infections and hospitalisation have continued to rise in all other age groups EXCEPT the over 60’s, can’t be coincidence and surely must be the vaccine beginning to take effect?

View attachment 132902View attachment 132903

A genuine question, not a challenge of the data; if (as we are led to believe) the vaccines do not provide any protection for 10 - 14 days, why do we see an immediate drop in case % for over 60s the day after vaccination begins? Are there other factors at play here, or is this a suggestion that vaccination is beneficial more quickly then we are being told?

Jul 7, 2003
Walking past a local doctors surgery, great to see a steady stream of old folk out for a Sunday afternoon trip to get their COVID jabs.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
63m vaccinations worldwide.

Over 1.3m vaccinations in last 3 days in UK alone.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
A lot of positive stuff today ..just look at this thread

Here’s another one for you. The UK has now given a first vaccine dose to 10% of its population, the first ‘big’ nation to get anywhere near this milestone. Next in line would be the US at around 6%, with Italy the top EU country currently hovering above 2%. France, well, let’s not mention France...

Also interesting is that it took us around a month to get to 5%, but only two weeks to reach 10% from there. We’re absolutely motoring now, and getting faster it seems by the day.

coronavirus-data-explorer.png

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Blimey, here’s another great example of the media, and specifically the BBC, going out of its way to present an unduly pessimistic picture. Here’s a link to the article, with the graph of interest below.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-55784199

_116647040_vax_trajectory23jan-nc.png

What’s wrong with it? The graph suggests that we are currently way off pace in terms of the daily number of vaccinations required to hit our target of 15m by mid-Feb - around 380k per day. However, this is very misleading.

It is calculated by taking the mean average from the past seven days’ numbers. However, firstly, it includes a couple of slightly underwhelming days towards the beginning of that period and secondly it ignores the fact that we have seen consistent daily increases in vaccinations delivered to almost 500k yesterday. Taking a median average, or even the numbers for the last four days, paint a very different picture.

We’re going to smash that target, and if the person who decided that graph was a good idea wants to have a bet I’ll happily put my house on the line.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Blimey, here’s another great example of the media, and specifically the BBC, going out of its way to present an unduly pessimistic picture. Here’s a link to the article, with the graph of interest below.

View attachment 132912

What’s wrong with it? The graph suggests that we are currently way off pace in terms of the daily number of vaccinations required to hit our target of 15m by mid-Feb - around 380k per day. However, this is very misleading.

It is calculated by taking the mean average from the past seven days’ numbers. However, firstly, it includes a couple of slightly underwhelming days towards the beginning of that period and secondly it ignores the fact that we have seen consistent daily increases in vaccinations delivered to almost 500k yesterday. Taking a median average, or even the numbers for the last four days, paint a very different picture.

We’re going to smash that target, and if the person who decided that graph was a good idea wants to have a bet I’ll happily put my house on the line.

Typical BBC only looks for the negatives

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

View attachment 132912

Yep, total bollocks and a case of ‘lies, damned lies and statistics’. With a load of new mega-centres opening tomorrow, fully expect us to hit a daily 500k+ sometime this week and maintain it - the mid Feb deadline is starting to look well within our grasp.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Israel really aren’t messing about - over 40% of total population vaccinated already!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Israel really aren’t messing about - over 40% of total population vaccinated already!

Interesting to note though that we’ve still administered almost double the number of vaccines that Israel has (in fact we account for 10% of global vaccinations so far). Israel had large quantities of the Pfizer drug up front I believe as they agreed to provide all their data for analysis (which is brilliant for all other countries to help shape their approach), and have the benefit of a large and efficient army to help too.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
For the first time this year, the GP practice my wife works at has had ZERO new covid cases reported over the weekend

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
In Yorkshire - A friend of mine and his wife early to Mid 70's have been vaccinated. Received a text on saturday at 10.09. Appt at 12.10, out by 12.25pm

In Brighton - My Mum and Dad in there 70's received a letter from NHS to be prepared for vaccination. I fully expect them to receive a call this week.

My sister - NHS received her jab last week.

It is all happening. I wish the media would focus on the good news stories - cos they have a massive role to play in peoples well being

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Top work everyone in keeping me going this weekend! Thank you. 3 family members who are front line care workers had received their first doses this weekend, just waiting on my parents to get their call now.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Moderna's covid vaccine is still effective against the variant first discovered in South Africa.

Put simply, it appears vaccines will still be effective against new variants, but maybe slightly less so. However, vaccines can be updated to target new variants quite quickly.

[tweet]1353701236458070016[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here