Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

atomised

Mar 21, 2013

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Wife got jabbed today in Eastbourne at the Welcome Building, 7 minutes from her booked appointment time to her ringing me saying she was good to go. Marvelous!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I received a text at lunchtime saying I could book now.

Slightly surprised as Im only 46 and in good health (but with a history of kidney problems, and no gallbladder) but I phoned up & got myself, and my 18yr old asthmatic son, booked in for next Friday evening.

When the vaccines started getting rolled out in December, I was predicted February 2022....quite remarkable that I will be done by mid March 2021.

Bloody love everyone in the NHS involved in getting this roll-out done, & everyone whos worked tirelessly on the vaccine itself. Quite emotional.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
AstraZeneca boss says vaccine effective against Brazilian and South African variants

The AstraZeneca vaccine will offer strong protection against both the Brazilian and South African coronavirus variants, according to the company’s global chief who says mixing the first and second vaccine doses from different companies may provide a better approach.

AstraZeneca chief executive Pascal Soriot said new data weakened the result of a South African study which found the vaccine had only 10 per cent efficacy against the local variant. It “underrepresented” old people, for whom the vaccine is more effective.

Australia has been importing the vaccine from Europe and 90 healthcare workers in the South Australian town of Murray Bridge were the first to receive a dose last Friday.

“We have several vaccines that protect well against severe disease for all viruses,” Mr Soriot told the Herald and The Age.

“But out of an abundance of caution, we are developing a South African variant vaccine, and people might get a booster in the northern hemisphere autumn if necessary.”

New unpublished data showed the vaccine was also effective against the Brazilian variant, Mr Soriot said.

Last week a World Health Organisation representative said the South African study, which led to the country suspending its rollout of the AstraZeneca vaccine, was a “very limited scale study” which showed evidence of mild and moderate disease.

“We still believe ... the AstraZeneca vaccine is effective even in places where you have the large proportion of cases which could be attributed to the B.1.351 [South African] variant,” Dr Rabindra Abeyasinghe told CNN.

Mr Soriot said all vaccines, including from AstraZeneca and Pfizer, had lower efficacy in young people, because the vaccines were less effective at stopping a milder disease.

“And so what you see in these studies is 100 per cent protection against severe disease, but there was also no severe disease in the control arm, because they were all young,” he said.

“In the South African study, I think it’s more a reflection of the type of patients than on the vaccine itself.

“They all protect very well with a high level of protection against severe disease and hospitalisation. And as you go down the severity, the level of efficacy or protection drops, so you have less protection against moderate disease.”

Data from Scotland and England showed the vaccine was 100 per cent effective against death and led to a 94 per cent reduction in hospitalisation.

Mr Soriot, who has been supervising the global rollout of the AstraZeneca vaccine from Sydney since December, said mixing the first and second vaccine doses from different companies could provide “a better approach”.

“There is some reason to believe that if you don’t use the same vaccine type for the booster, you get better immunity,” he said.

https://amp.smh.com.au/national/ast...fective-against-variants-20210307-p578id.html

A positive development, and interesting comments on a mix and match approach to vaccination to boot.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Deaths continue to absolutely nosedive, nearly 50 % down on last Tuesday.

Also cases still down on last Tuesday despite 1.5M tests due to kids going back, lots of reports of false positive LF rapid testing could be skewing that number even higher so in likelihood that number is probably much lower.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Today's numbers..........all good.

Infections - 5,766, rolling 7 day down 24.5% (bear in mind as [MENTION=14080]The Wizard[/MENTION] says, tests were 1.5m - around double the normal daily amount)
Deaths - 231, rolling 7 day down 33.2%
Admissions - 590, rolling 7 day down 29.8%
Vaccinations - 1st 215k, 2nd 38k. Cumulative totals 22.59m and 1.18m
Patients in hospital - 9,418

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Got my text. Was expecting to be category 9, but apparently I'm category 6.

No idea why. Maybe they have my height as 6mm or something.

Anyhow, Friday is jab day and it feels good.
:rock:

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Booked my first jab for Saturday on line, going to Debenhams in Croydon, it was either Debenhams or Selhurst Park.

Second jab booked for eleven weeks time, the online booking was very straightforward.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Booked mine. What a dumb system. Booking at Crawley for the 1st and Btn Centre for the second but then went to confirm it then says one slot is no longer available! Had to start again and this time Btn Centre for the 1st but have to go to Ticehurst for the second!!!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Just 48 cases in BSUH Trust in the week up to March 3rd, and 13 in ICU. 32 cases in the WSHT, and just 4 in ICU now.

New covid cases across Brighton & Hove totaled just 100 in that time...the lowest recorded number since last September.

Fantastic figures.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
My friends daughter began working at the RSCH after Christmas (welcome to nursing! :eek:) and has been working on a Covid ward that entire time. Just found out from my mate that that ward has been given a deep clean, and is no longer being used as Covid unit.

Hopefully a trend happening all over the country.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
Booked in for both jabs at The Brighton Centre. At 55 didn’t think I’d get my first one till the end of April. Very impressive how quick this is getting rolled out.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
My friends daughter began working at the RSCH after Christmas (welcome to nursing! :eek:) and has been working on a Covid ward that entire time. Just found out from my mate that that ward has been given a deep clean, and is no longer being used as Covid unit.

Hopefully a trend happening all over the country.

Yeh, you'd want to give it the once over wouldn't you ... great news!

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Wife got jabbed today in Eastbourne at the Welcome Building, 7 minutes from her booked appointment time to her ringing me saying she was good to go. Marvelous!

I got mine today at the same place. The NHS staff and volunteers working were friendly and helpful, hats of to them. The whole thing felt very professional, incredibly well organised and safe, I was in and out in about 15 mins.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Booked mine. What a dumb system. Booking at Crawley for the 1st and Btn Centre for the second but then went to confirm it then says one slot is no longer available! Had to start again and this time Btn Centre for the 1st but have to go to Ticehurst for the second!!!

When I used it I thought it was as perfectly straightforward and easy. Clearly the mass vaccine centres are rolling the service out to greater numbers of “younger” people with higher expectations and demands of the system. I certainly don’t think the system is dumb.

Did you try to get a ticket when matches were limited to 2000 fans? Same principle I think in that whilst you are faffing someone nips it and takes your ticket!!

Good news please.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Had my first Pfizer shot yesterday, booked in for second dose on 30 March.

They’re following the recommended 21-28 day gap for Pfizer to the letter here.

Stunningly efficient set-up. Processing began every 2 minutes on each batch of 20 people, and ran like clockwork for 10 hours a day. Around 6000 people a day in each centre, and there are several all round the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Numbers update, all positive :

Infections - 5,926, rolling 7 day down 20.1% (tests UP 58.8%)
Deaths - 190, rolling 7 day down 35.4%
Admissions - 634, rolling 7 day down 27.8%
Vaccinations - 217k first, 73k second - cumulative 22.8m and 1.25m
In hospital - 9,435

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here