Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] The Coronavirus Good News thread

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
24,950 UK cases today. We were at 60,000 not so long ago. To channel my inner Daily Mail, they are absolutely PLUMETTING.

Went out for a few beers at the weekend. Lots of places operating in true pre-pandemic style, felt great ordering my first pint at the bar in 18 months and everything felt very normal. I’m struggling to find any other reason for the dramatic drop in cases than the virus is now simply running out of places to go.

Testing numbers still the same from what I can see?

Schools only finished on Friday so that won’t have impact, but nor will the 19th yet tbf

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
24,950 UK cases today. We were at 60,000 not so long ago. To channel my inner Daily Mail, they are absolutely PLUMETTING.

Went out for a few beers at the weekend. Lots of places operating in true pre-pandemic style, felt great ordering my first pint at the bar in 18 months and everything felt very normal. I’m struggling to find any other reason for the dramatic drop in cases than the virus is now simply running out of places to go.

The steepness of the drop off really is a bit bizarre....really looking forward to seeing how this gets explained (some other countries seeing similar - Netherlands for example). Brilliant news though as it's been going on too long to be a blip now. It's going down faster than it went up.

Testing numbers have been broadly the same for several weeks.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The steepness of the drop off really is a bit bizarre....really looking forward to seeing how this gets explained (some other countries seeing similar - Netherlands for example). Brilliant news though as it's been going on too long to be a blip now. It's going down faster than it went up.

Testing numbers have been broadly the same for several weeks.

Surge testing stop at all?

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Following my gig attendance last week with no restrictions I took a follow up LFT today and it was negative which was encouraging. There was singing, drinking and dancing and fortunately I do not appear to have picked up or indeed dispensed Covid.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
If that was it then overall test numbers would be dropping I would think....

Just going to enjoy the good news and wait for an expert to explain I think :)
I've yet to see anyone able to explain it!
They are too busy hoping it starts going up again so they can go back to Boris Bashing I think.

It is funny, if cases were going up 35% a day I'd be getting notifications about it from the news apps. Tossers.

It is fantastic to see, let's hope it continues

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
An encouraging stat in the Torygraph report on UK Hospitalisation data today, which is not reported in the daily slug of government stats. And that is of all the daily hospitalisations, 56% are actually people who went into hospital for some other serious illness or condition, or planned procedure, who didn’t know they had COVID, but were obviously tested on arrival, only to find out they do have COVID, almost certainly asymptomatic. This means that if you take the daily hospitalisation number reported by the government and multiply it by 44%, you get the genuine number of people who were admitted to hospital because of severe illness with known COVID symptoms. So, massively less people are actually seriously ill in hospital with COVID, and equally importantly, the COVID related drain on precious NHS hospital resources is less than half what you might imagine, from the headline hospitalisations data.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Fascinating graph in today's FT - it takes a moment to work it out, but stay with it! The headline indicates a bit of a negative slant, but it's probably positive. Plus - a fascinating insight into how football impacts Covid.

97EC44BC-AC6A-4E1A-ACBA-C65A27E6D9B4.jpeg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
[TWEET]1419960917626966018[/TWEET]

That makes complete sense.

July/Aug 20 - most folk mingled, dined out, pub-ed etc. Then the autumn ascent of wave 2.

Summer 21 - the overwhelming majority of over 60’s and vulnerable have been fully vaccinated, by the week countless numbers of the young are getting the virus and coming out the other side with natural immunity (in most cases). At the best time of the year for an unlocking.

Moreover, the vaccines developed essentially in 2020 provided effective against a later 2021 variant.

We’re going to into autumn with ‘herd immunity’ (if that’s the correct term)?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Seems some experts are claiming some of the anti vax crew would have been infected at the Euros/watching - which means they are basically vaccinated.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If that prediction was from literally ANYONE else it would be fantastic :laugh::laugh:

I know what you mean. I still see it as good news however, as he has often been one of the more pessimistic viewpoints throughout the pandemic.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I know what you mean. I still see it as good news however, as he has often been one of the more pessimistic viewpoints throughout the pandemic.

That was my take on it. Ferguson has been consistently and wildly overly-pessimistic in his forecasts, but not always completely wrong about the direction of travel in which we were headed. There appear to be increasing rumblings of optimism within the scientific community that even if the latest decline in cases isn't quite the beginning of the end, we're still not far away regardless.

The fact that Scotland, which began its third-wave slightly earlier than England and whose Euro 2020 bubble popped somewhat earlier, is beginning to see a decline in hospitalisations as well as cases appears to be a signal that we are indeed finally beginning our descent out of the pandemic clouds.

_119578595_optimised-scotland_cases_hosp_facet_p26jul-nc.png
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-57971990

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The speed of case decline really is quite staggering atm.

Wonderful to see.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
23,511 new cases today.

Smaller downward figure but still good as Tuesday & Wednesday normally highest of the week due to weekend lag.

This time last week it was 46,558 so a near on 50% change over a 7 day period which is massive!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here