Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Navigating the CV change in lifestyle with children

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
My 9-y-o seems to be coping just fine right now. He had a little spell a couple of weeks ago when he became obsessed with listening to the BBC News on his Amazon Echo, but he seems to be less interested now, which is not a bad thing. The Echo would be removed if he had carried on, and he could watch/listen to the news with us.

Assuming schools do close sooner or later, I'm wondering on the protocol for things like playgrounds with the weather improving - should multiple kids be able to play in the same playground together, maybe with instructions not to touch each other and the usual hand-cleaning procedure afterwards?

His birthday is coming up, which looks set to be a bit of a damp squib in terms of seeing friends, family and going out for a meal at one of his favourites, but that's all very much a first world problem, I fully appreciate.

How are you young'uns doing?

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Mine are 6 and 3, so fortunately a little too young to contemplate what’s going on. We’ve had a go at explaining the situation in the nicest possible way, but it’s a difficult line to tread in terms of getting the point across and not absolutely terrify them. It’s going to be tough after a few weeks of being stuck in the house, particularly when the weather’s nice, and then not understanding why we can’t really go out and play.

One day at a time at the minute.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
My 9-y-o seems to be coping just fine right now. He had a little spell a couple of weeks ago when he became obsessed with listening to the BBC News on his Amazon Echo, but he seems to be less interested now, which is not a bad thing. The Echo would be removed if he had carried on, and he could watch/listen to the news with us.

Assuming schools do close sooner or later, I'm wondering on the protocol for things like playgrounds with the weather improving - should multiple kids be able to play in the same playground together, maybe with instructions not to touch each other and the usual hand-cleaning procedure afterwards?

His birthday is coming up, which looks set to be a bit of a damp squib in terms of seeing friends, family and going out for a meal at one of his favourites, but that's all very much a first world problem, I fully appreciate.

How are you young'uns doing?
Hi Bozza. With all due respect, this thread is exactly why all the virus threads need to be off the main board, out of sight. I don't need a nudge to think the unthinkable could happen to my grandson, let alone every other precious member of my family. Please can we get all the virus threads out of sight asap.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Hi Bozza. With all due respect, this thread is exactly why all the virus threads need to be off the main board, out of sight. I don't need a nudge to think the unthinkable could happen to my grandson, let alone every other precious member of my family. Please can we get all the virus threads out of sight asap.

They will be, but that was the last thing I was thinking of - it wasn't part of my thought process at all.

It was more about the temporary adjustment of life, and how we navigate that.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
then not understanding why we can’t really go out and play.

You see, I don't understand it to be quite that draconian. We have a big green area out behind where we live. If people are out there walking their dogs all day (and they are), why can't families play catch or frisbee and the like, as long as some kind of distance is kept.

Is a walk along the seafront out of bounds?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Eldest and girlfriend in self-isolation for 14 days as of today.........

Youngests girlfriend starts mandatory 4 day week from Monday

Not going too well for them so far

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You see, I don't understand it to be quite that draconian. We have a big green area out behind where we live. If people are out there walking their dogs all day (and they are), why can't families play catch or frisbee and the like, as long as some kind of distance is kept.

A walk along the seafront is fine according to experts, avoid getting too close to anyone and it should be fine.... i'm going to get digging on my allotment plot if fit enough.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Master WS Jnr has had his ski-ing trip with school cancelled which he is not happy about at all. Miss WS has had her Uni closed. Master WS Snr has had his college closed. So all affected but Master WS Jnr is probably the worse off.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
8 year old has real issues anyway with anxiety which we are working on and the uncertainty and frequent changing of teachers is making it worse. 5 year old bounces along merrily. As for parks it will be a real challenge not being able to occupy them when schools close

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patreon
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
We have 3 grandchildren, 1 in West Sussex and 2 in Norfolk. We have agreed that we will only see them via Skype for the time being as we are very late 70 year olds. It hurts as we often have them for a weekend or go and see them.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A walk along the seafront is fine according to experts, avoid getting too close to anyone and it should be fine.... i'm going to get digging on my allotment plot if fit enough.

Thank god my belly’s got bigger. Its so helped with ‘social distancing’

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

You’d have to anti bac the frisbee after each throw :whistle:

Isn’t being out in the fresh air good for you....just ‘distancing’ ...how you get to do that in a playground gawd knows

lost in london

Dec 10, 2003
London
Day one in lockdown with the kids for me today, 9 and 7.

I had what turned out to be a bit of a brainwave of sitting down with them and listing out every possible thing they can do in the house and garden and sticking the list to the fridge. A boredom list if you will.

We've listed out all their board games, garden games, switch / tablet games, arts and crafts type activities, sewing, baking etc etc so that when they've had enough of one thing they can get a bit of an idea of what to do next. It's hard for parents and kids to think of things for them to do and listing them all out really helped my two today. Digging through the piles of games they found all sorts of stuff they've had for christmas and birthdays that hasn't really got a look in and has been added to the list. Once we get a bit more organised we'll add some educational activities to the list, but the fun list will do for now.

As an aside, as hard as this quarantine will be I've got a feeling we'll come out of the other side looking at life quite differently. I'm lucky to have space in the house and a garden and two kids within a couple of years of each other who get on OK so am likely to find things easier than most, but I feel like this experience could make us all a bit more resourceful.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
My wife and I are expecting our first child at the begging of June. Yesterday's comments from Boris seemed to indicate pregnant women should be isolating for the next 3 months. I'm confused and stressed about what to do. Anyone else in the same/similar boat? I should add I'm in Sussex at the moment, not Costa Rica!

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

Let's play catch, the corona

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;9282390 said:
My wife and I are expecting our first child at the begging of June. Yesterday's comments from Boris seemed to indicate pregnant women should be isolating for the next 3 months. I'm confused and stressed about what to do. Anyone else in the same/similar boat? I should add I'm in Sussex at the moment, not Costa Rica!

Talk to your GP

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Day two of lock down done, three girls aged 6 and twins of 3. Coping pretty well so far, luckily the rain has ****ed off for a few days so they've been in the garden a lot. Been keeping them entertained with all sorts of activities but can see it wearing thin quickly. Video calling grandparents has helped.

Eldests bday party cancelled this weekend so she's obviously gutted about that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here