Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dealing with Coronavirus on NSC

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unprecedented times...

I've been giving thought as to how to handle this on NSC, as it's clearly going to run for a long time and impact many elements of all our lives.

I'm considering starting several threads with the aim of trying to keep various discussions relating to what is happening grouped together, allowing those who may have interest in certain aspects to only get involved in the bits they want.

More fundamentally, I'm considering creating a Coronavirus sub-forum at the top of the Big Board to contain threads relating to it. Anxiety will be running high for many, and mental health is a real concern. My thought it that by grouping all CV threads slightly away from the Big Board, it may allow those suffering a bit of respite. They could see them if they really wanted, but it would take more effort to do so.

The above tactic would also allow those who wished to self-isolate from CV discussion to do so - they could contact me and I could remove their ability to view the sub-forum and its threads.

Throwing it open for discussion now - happy to listen to any and all suggestions for how to best manage this.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
...and just to add, the over-riding aim is to enable NSC to be informative, helpful and supportive to everyone using it.

Let's be a place of good, not bad.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Very good idea. I am checking the news once or twice a day and then staying clear. Constant checking, arguing, worrying, speculating etc. will drive you insane. Bit like terrorism - just stay vigilant, do what is recommended but carry on as normal. You can't live your life in fear. The one thing I took from CBT is to allow yourself time to worry but not obsess.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Good idea.

I would also urge everyone to protect themselves mentally by focusing on facts and government statements, and avoiding OPINION. Twitter is horrendous right now - or mine is anyway. Everyone and their dog has an opinion, most of which are unhelpful I find.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very good idea Bozza but please have an area for posters who wish to assess and applaud or critique government policy alongside Boris’ handling of the crisis otherwise it’ll start to get a little Chinese State Media on here with Boris supporters calling out any criticism of him as ‘party political point scoring’. You can then move it off every other thread.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
More fundamentally, I'm considering creating a Coronavirus sub-forum at the top of the Big Board to contain threads relating to it. Anxiety will be running high for many, and mental health is a real concern. My thought it that my grouping all CV threads slightly away from the Big Board, it may allow those suffering a bit of respite. They could see them if they really wanted, but it would take more effort to do so.

From what I've seen at other boards trying to split the "big board" into pieces it often dont turn out very good. As it stands there is a very great chance that coronavirus topics will be like 90% for some while. A lot of people would perhaps barely visit the Big Board, meaning less and less would make the "effort" to post in it, further reducing visits, and further reduce non-corona related threads.

I think there is a big likelyhood a split like that would lead to one very active coronaboard and several dead subforums.

Is there a possibility of banning users from seeing threads with a certain prefix? Maybe even possible to add a ticker to the board making it optional to see/not see coronathreads?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Another :thumbsup: from me. We need to be mindful that people will have wildly divergent situations, and will experience Covid-19 in very different ways. Best of luck to everyone but, more than that, follow advice. We really are all in this together, and what each one of us does will have consequences for others.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I doubt we'd be disciplined to pull it off, so it's a bit of a non starter.

But I'd like the one main thread to stay here, while all the others are subsectioned.
I'm not sure there's a need for the 10+ CV threads which are currently on page 1

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Very good idea Bozza but please have an area for posters who wish to assess and applaud or critique government policy alongside Boris’ handling of the crisis otherwise it’ll start to get a little Chinese State Media on here with Boris supporters calling out any criticism of him as ‘party political point scoring’. You can then move it off every other thread.

Please not ‘Boris’. Did anyone ever call David Cameron simply ‘David’ or Tony Blair ‘Tony’? ‘Johnson’ ‘BJ’ or ‘the PM’ I can cope with.

Cheers :moo::wink:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Separate section is a good idea I think.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yeah I agree with Stat. A sub forum for Corona stuff, except for the single main one (provided it doesn't descend into binfest) which can stay bouncing at the top of the BB.

Good work as ever [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] x

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Ilkley
Sounds like a great idea.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Could do with a thread pointing out the GOOD things about the virus. Must be a few things, surely?

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Fully agree. I will/would be one of those wishing to be removed entirely from being able to see the sub forums... I have, contributed to the main CV thread, but I (upon reflection) need to remain optimistic, given the industry I work in and for the benefit of my family. I have found myself morbidly obsessing re this outbreak to the detriment of the actual reality around me - presently. A grip needs to be maintained by many as we mobilise to help those most vulnerable, and by sitting on a cyber forum hand wringing and agonising over every new case and/or death and moreover theoretical scenarios good or indeed bad - will achieve nothing good tangibly.

Ultimately I would hate my legacy to be one of impotent worry and rage against something I can barely comprehend yet alone beat. I am relatively young, in good health - so I must surely be one of those helping people where I can to get through this ****ing nightmare.

Peace be the journey - for now I'm checking out of NSC entirely to concentrate on those who mean more to me than the world x

Good luck :)

Steve

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here