Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Train Ticket Query

el punal

I wonder if anyone has got any information regarding booked train travel and the possibility (probability) of cancelled journeys. To be specific I’ve booked, in advance, rail tickets for our fixture at Norwich on 11th April. Needless to say I doubt that will go ahead. With the Coronavirus situation worsening I would imagine public transport, like the airlines, will be cancelling many services soon. If so will customers be reimbursed the cost of the fares?

Jul 7, 2003
Depends on the train company. If it is an Advance ticket (i.e. non-refundable) some are allowing you to move your booking but not all. Some are still saying Advance tickets are non-refundable so tough luck.

Any other ticket type, you should be able to get a refund on - some train companies are now waiving the £10 admin fee, some aren't.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I have written off my norwich rail fare, will be able to get a small bit back for the last leg as it not an advance ticket but that's all. Hopefully we will see the tickets price refunds at some point under the precedent set with other away games that moved after tickets were purchased.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I wonder if anyone has got any information regarding booked train travel and the possibility (probability) of cancelled journeys. To be specific I’ve booked, in advance, rail tickets for our fixture at Norwich on 11th April. Needless to say I doubt that will go ahead. With the Coronavirus situation worsening I would imagine public transport, like the airlines, will be cancelling many services soon. If so will customers be reimbursed the cost of the fares?

I think if they cancel the service, and let's be honest, it won't be just one service, then you might be entitled to a refund. We've got advance tickets to Norwich and Greater Anglia will, I believe, waive the fee for you to move it. However, when are you supposed to move it to? I've done a quick email to my MP as there will be thousands of fans up and down the country in the same boat in these exceptional circumstances.

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
If you want me to have a look into it I can, I'd just need the details of the ticket, such as ticket type, where you bought it from and things like that. Looking into it might take my mind off things for a bit.

el punal

If you want me to have a look into it I can, I'd just need the details of the ticket, such as ticket type, where you bought it from and things like that. Looking into it might take my mind off things for a bit.

Thanks! I purchased two adult tickets, both with senior railcards, on-line from Greater Anglia. They were on special offer, Liverpool Street - Norwich £6.60 each (and the same for the return journey). Tickets to be collected from pre-paid ticket machine at the station. To be honest, as the amount of money I’ve shelled out is not a lot I’m not hugely concerned about whether I get the reimbursement or not. Just curious about what measures are being taken to address the situation. I think we’ve all got more serious issues to contend with at moment rather than worry about a ticket refund.

Once again, thanks for your interest. :thumbsup:

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Slightly different.
MegaBus have allowed a credit note for tickets a relative had for this weekend. Tickets were non-refundable so thanks to them. No further booking fees either.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

I tried to get one back today and was refused.

Other ones I tried to push the dates back. The only option I was given was to purchase a new ticket with the option of making a separate claim for refund on the old one with no assurance that that claim would be successful.

And here is how clever the train companies are being over this.

The prices of the new tickets for a later date are more than double the cost of the original.

Snakes the lot of them the train Companies

Madafwo

Nov 11, 2013
Thanks! I purchased two adult tickets, both with senior railcards, on-line from Greater Anglia. They were on special offer, Liverpool Street - Norwich £6.60 each (and the same for the return journey). Tickets to be collected from pre-paid ticket machine at the station. To be honest, as the amount of money I’ve shelled out is not a lot I’m not hugely concerned about whether I get the reimbursement or not. Just curious about what measures are being taken to address the situation. I think we’ve all got more serious issues to contend with at moment rather than worry about a ticket refund.

Once again, thanks for your interest. :thumbsup:

That sounds like advanced fares, quite simple as you bought the tickets on Greater Anglia's website and they also set the fares so its all handled by the one company.

According to their current refund policy you won't get one if you don't want to travel, but you can change to ticket to a later date without an admin charge and only pay the difference if the ticket is more expensive. If the new ticket is cheaper then you don't get the difference back either.

That might change in the future though so keep an eye on their current refund policy here.

el punal

That sounds like advanced fares, quite simple as you bought the tickets on Greater Anglia's website and they also set the fares so its all handled by the one company.

According to their current refund policy you won't get one if you don't want to travel, but you can change to ticket to a later date without an admin charge and only pay the difference if the ticket is more expensive. If the new ticket is cheaper then you don't get the difference back either.

That might change in the future though so keep an eye on their current refund policy here.

:thumbsup: :cheers:

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
This is an email from Trainline tonight.

Train services across the UK are currently running as normal. However, if you need to change your travel plans, here are your options.

National Rail logo

National Express logo

Advance Single tickets
This ticket type is non-refundable. However, you can change your tickets online to a different time/date for many train operators. Any changes need to be made at least 15 minutes before your original departure date/time.
Please note, if you booked as a guest, you'll need to use the link within your booking confirmation email instead.
We've waived our usual change fee, to help you during this uncertain time.
We appreciate you may not know your new travel date, so feel free to change to any date within 12 weeks and you can edit this again if necessary nearer the time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
I have written off my norwich rail fare, will be able to get a small bit back for the last leg as it not an advance ticket but that's all. Hopefully we will see the tickets price refunds at some point under the precedent set with other away games that moved after tickets were purchased.

Hello mate, see my post above, hopefully you’ll be able to move tickets.

Bedsex

not my real name
Jan 29, 2009
Flitwick
I decided to cancel my train season ticket today, only renewed it at the beginning of Feb, so will lose a few hundred quid by cancelling it now, but can’t see I’ll be travelling into London for work any time soon.

Madafwo

Nov 11, 2013

Hopefully this is of use now. Not a lot of money but its better in your pocket.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
BBC Website update

UK rail users entitled to ticket refunds
Here's an update for rail users in the UK.

Reduced timetables across the country mean fewer services are operating from Monday. The move has been made because more people are working from home, and in order to free up tracks for freight trains to move products around the country.

The government has just announced that many ticket holders will be entitled to a refund.

Those with an advance ticket will be able to get a refund free of charge, while all season ticket holders can claim a refund "for time unused on their tickets free of administrative charges".

Ticket holders should contact their operator for details, the Department for Transport says.

Transport Secretary Grant Shapps said the refunds were available "to ensure no-one is unfairly out of pocket for doing the right thing".

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I booked advanced tickets to Norwich for the 11th and didn't expect to see that money again. I booked online with Southern and just checked my account showing 'these tickets are not refundable online'. No surprise as this is new news and I'll check again in a week or so. I haven't collected the tickets. It would nice if refund was done automatically.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
From Trainline email

Coronavirus (COVID-19): Advance ticket refunds
Train companies have agreed to offer refunds on Advance tickets bought before, and valid for travel from, 7am on Monday 23rd March and we’ve waived the usual refund fee.

Here’s what to do if you have an Advance Ticket:

• If your Advance Single ticket is valid for travel from 7am on Monday 23rd March onwards and you're due to travel within the next three days, please complete our online claim form.

• If your ticket is valid for travel from Thursday 26th March onwards, we'll contact you directly to explain your refund request process. We’re working hard to make it even easier for you.

Please note, any Advance Single tickets booked on or after Monday 23rd March will not be eligible for a refund, unless the train is disrupted or cancelled.

Alternatively, if you need to change your travel to a different time/date, please change your tickets online. Just follow these three easy steps:

1. Sign in (or create an account by following the link in your confirmation email).
2. Find your booking in 'My Bookings' or ‘My Tickets’ in the app and scroll down to 'Manage my bookings'.
3. Expand that section and select ‘Change date/time’ or ‘Refund tickets’.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Refunds now available. From Trainline email this afternoon.

Request your refund in three easy steps

Thanks for your ongoing patience. We’re still working incredibly hard to get through the exceptionally high volume of queries. We’ve also changed the refund request process to help you.

If you bought your Advance Single ticket before 07:00 on Monday 23rd March 2020 and it’s valid for travel from now onwards, you can now request a refund online, with no fees.

If you have an account:
1. Sign in
2. Find your booking in 'My Bookings' or ‘My Tickets' in the app and scroll down to 'Manage my bookings'.
3. Expand that section and select ‘Refund my tickets’.

If you don’t have an account:
1. Create an account by following the link in your confirmation email. Search your inbox for auto-confirm@info.thetrainline.com.
2. Follow the steps above to request your refund.

Please note, it can take up to 28 days for you to get your refund.

Stay safe,
The team at Trainline

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here