Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long should I self-isolate for ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
We came back from Spain yesterday and have been told by various sources to self-isolate for 5/7/14 days.

I may be an idiot but I have searched the government website and the NHS website and keep going round in circles, everything seems to refer to something else.

We have no symptoms of corona.

Can anyone point me at a definitive source as my son has had to move in with a pal for a few days.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
We came back from Spain yesterday and have been told by various sources to self-isolate for 5/7/14 days.

I may be an idiot but I have searched the government website and the NHS website and keep going round in circles, everything seems to refer to something else.

Can anyone point me at a definitive source as my son has had to move in with a pal for a few days.

I flew back from Barcelona yesterday, there is no need to self isolate if you felling well and not showing any symptoms. The lack of information is terrible but part of the problem is that it changes daily. Also if you were flying back to Ireland or Scotland the advice is to self isolate.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015

Depending on what you read the incubation period for Covid 19 is anywhere between 2-14 days. There have even been some cases where it was longer but these are very small.

Boris appears to be making an absolute bags of this in the UK (specifically not shutting schools) - so the safest thing to do is to self-quarantine rather than self-isolate for 14 days. You self-quarantine if you do not have symptoms - self-isolate if you do.

This is a link to the Irish Health Service website on this issue (and who would have thought the Irish Health Service would have been managing this better than the British government who have the NHS at their disposal).

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/self-isolation-and-limited-social-interaction.html

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Depending on what you read the incubation period for Covid 19 is anywhere between 2-14 days. There have even been some cases where it was longer but these are very small.

Boris appears to be making an absolute bags of this in the UK (specifically not shutting schools) - so the safest thing to do is to self-quarantine rather than self-isolate for 14 days. You self-quarantine if you do not have symptoms - self-isolate if you do.

This is a link to the Irish Health Service website on this issue (and who would have thought the Irish Health Service would have been managing this better than the British government who have the NHS at their disposal).

https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/self-isolation-and-limited-social-interaction.html

I don't see any information on flying back from Spain on that page. But good job on scoring some political points.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I flew back from Barcelona yesterday, there is no need to self isolate if you felling well and not showing any symptoms. The lack of information is terrible but part of the problem is that it changes daily. Also if you were flying back to Ireland or Scotland the advice is to self isolate.

14 days if you haven't shown any symptoms before starting the isolation.

:lolol: I'd be going with the latter, rather than the former!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Not sure you need to self isolate without any symptoms. If you show any symptoms of cough or fever and live alone, it's 7 days. If you live with others and any of those living together show symptoms, whole household needs to self isolate for 14 days

Keep away from others, social distancing and avoiding crowded places has now also been suggested for all.

My niece was sent home from school yesterday (with a persistent cough) and told to isolate for 14 days.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
My niece was sent home from school yesterday (with a persistent cough) and told to isolate for 14 days.

Hope she is feeling better quickly. Of course probably just a cough, but I'm at a bit of a loss why parents are taking kids into school with a cough. You're neice's family need to isolate as well now by the way.

Hope she is feeling better quickly. Of course probably just a cough, but I'm at a bit of a loss why parents are taking kids into school with a cough. You're neice's family need to isolate as well now by the way.
Thanks, they've all gone into isolation as of yesterday. So the local nursery is short 1 teacher (is that the correct term?) and 1 less London bus driver but better safe than sorry. She was only symptomatic yesterday but 1 of the kids on her table was displaying symptoms last week I believe and wasn't sent home. Hopefully just a cough going around.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Thanks, they've all gone into isolation as of yesterday. So the local nursery is short 1 teacher (is that the correct term?) and 1 less London bus driver but better safe than sorry. She was only symptomatic yesterday but 1 of the kids on her table was displaying symptoms last week I believe and wasn't sent home. Hopefully just a cough going around.

Well, its happened now, had they kept her off the cough might have cleared up and not been 'persistent'. My sister works in a primary school, twins dropped off yesterday by a dentist and a surgeon no less, with one of the kids with a bit of a temperature and cough, and the other twin said yeah 'mummy gave her cough medicine and calpol this morning' - WTF, medical professionals!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here