Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Partners stuck overseas

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
My partner went to visit her family in the north of Sweden a couple of weeks ago, and was due back this Saturday. However, with just one days notice, the Swedish airline (SAS) have cancelled all flights from there, for the foreseeable future, meaning the likely scenario is that she will be stuck there (and me, here) until this situation has resolved itself, in whatever form that takes.
Although I am happy that she's safe (as much as one can be), over there, I'm both incredibly sad and concerned that it seems we cannot be together through this, and that we have no idea when we might see each other again.
Is anyone else in a similar situation, or does anyone have any helpful advice?

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My partner went to visit her family in the north of Sweden a couple of weeks ago, and was due back this Saturday. However, with just one days notice, the Swedish airline (SAS) have cancelled all flights from there, for the foreseeable future, meaning the likely scenario is that she will be stuck there (and me, here) until this situation has resolved itself, in whatever form that takes.
Although I am happy that she's safe (as much as one can be), over there, I'm both incredibly sad and concerned that it seems we cannot be together through this, and that we have no idea when we might see each other again.
Is anyone else in a similar situation, or does anyone have any helpful advice?

Isn't the airline obliged to provide a refund or alternative means of completing the journey? Maybe push them on the latter and see what if anything they can do. We are booked up for a tour of the North of Sweden and Norway July/August, was really looking forward to exploring this part of the world (by train).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is anyone still flying ? Sweden haven’t closed borders so there may still be routes out with other airlines

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Isn't the airline obliged to provide a refund or alternative means of completing the journey? Maybe push them on the latter and see what if anything they can do. We are booked up for a tour of the North of Sweden and Norway July/August, was really looking forward to exploring this part of the world (by train).

A refund is not even in our thoughts, at the moment, but all flights have been cancelled from Kiruna.
I hope you get to do that tour, at some point - it's beautiful up there.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Is anyone still flying ? Sweden haven’t closed borders so there may still be routes out with other airlines

There is a faint possibility that *if* she can make her way down to Stockholm, a flight might be possible, but it's a hell of a journey, and once there, if it fell through, she'd be facing being stuck there, or making the long journey north again...even if that option was still open.

It's a nightmare.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
There is a faint possibility that *if* she can make her was down to Stockholm, a flight might be possible, but it's a hell of a journey, and once there, id it fell through, she'd be facing being stuck there, or making the long journey north again...even if that option was still open.

It's a nightmare.

Are you sure they’re cancelling all flights Kiruna to Stockholm? https://www.flysas.com/en/traffic-information/message/canceled-flights/

There’s a Norwegian Shuttle tomorrow to Stockholm by the look of it, can she book a ticket on that and look at options from there?

Also does she have travel insurance? What provisions are in there for flight cancellation

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
A refund is not even in our thoughts, at the moment, but all flights have been cancelled from Kiruna.
I hope you get to do that tour, at some point - it's beautiful up there.

Thanks you don't have many options do you? Night train to Stockholm and then if onward travel is blocked, your partner faces a long stay somewhere expensive. Sounds tricky, I hope you both can work something out.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Are you sure they’re cancelling all flights Kiruna to Stockholm? https://www.flysas.com/en/traffic-information/message/canceled-flights/

There’s a Norwegian Shuttle tomorrow to Stockholm by the look of it, can she book a ticket on that and look at options from there?

She did receive an e-mail from SAS stating that flights were cancelled, but no mention of offering alternatives. She only found out yesterday, so will be chasing up any possible options today. Clearly, time is of the essence, as the way things are changing so rapidly, who knows how long alternative options will be available.

I'll mention that shuttle to her and see if that's viable. Thanks for that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

I'm not sure you can realistically expect all airlines to find alternative means when pretty much all flights are grounded!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
She did receive an e-mail from SAS stating that flights were cancelled, but no mention of offering alternatives. She only found out yesterday, so will be chasing up any possible options today. Clearly, time is of the essence, as the way things are changing so rapidly, who knows how long alternative options will be available.

I'll mention that shuttle to her and see if that's viable. Thanks for that.

Good luck. I did add a note about any travel insurance she might have. Either on a credit card or separate policy. Check that out too for what provision there might be

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Thanks you don't have many options do you? Night train to Stockholm and then if onward travel is blocked, your partner faces a long stay somewhere expensive. Sounds tricky, I hope you both can work something out.

Yeah, looked at that train option and yep, can't get into Copenhagen, apparently.

Cheers, me too.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Mine is in Ireland. Jobs and caring commitments have kept us apart for 3 weeks out of 4 for last year or so. Now may be a year apart.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Mine is in Ireland. Jobs and caring commitments have kept us apart for 3 weeks out of 4 for last year or so. Now may be a year apart.
It's an awful situation - not only that, mine is supposed to be returning to work, next week, so that could well go down the pan, if she cannot get back within a reasonable time frame.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
There is a faint possibility that *if* she can make her way down to Stockholm, a flight might be possible, but it's a hell of a journey, and once there, if it fell through, she'd be facing being stuck there, or making the long journey north again...even if that option was still open.

It's a nightmare.

Just had a quick look on Easyjet site and there appears to be a flight still scheduled from Gatwick to Are Ostersund on Thursday 19th. Are Ostersund airport website shows it currently scheduled to come back to Gatwick also (11:45am). Maybe an option?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes, took out travel insurance and will certainly be following that up, too.

Good luck.

I would recommend look at all options, make a plan and try to follow it. Sweden appear to be behind even the UK on all this so I think you’ll have a few days to get back to the UK still, but after that it will get worse unfortunately. So even if that means car / bus / whatever to a major city airport

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Borders won’t be closed here for a little while at least - get the train to Stockholm and fly from there. If she leaves today it shouldn’t be an issues

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Just had a quick look on Easyjet site and there appears to be a flight still scheduled from Gatwick to Are Ostersund on Thursday 19th. Are Ostersund airport website shows it currently scheduled to come back to Gatwick also (11:45am). Maybe an option?

I'll mention this to her, as well - thanks for that.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Good luck.

I would recommend look at all options, make a plan and try to follow it. Sweden appear to be behind even the UK on all this so I think you’ll have a few days to get back to the UK still, but after that it will get worse unfortunately. So even if that means car / bus / whatever to a major city airport

Yes, it looks like that's going to be the way forward, and asap, before things get even more difficult/impossible.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here