Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Will the internet break?

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Well, with all the increased use of ‘tinternet’ will it take the strain?

What will happen if it goes down, are BT openreach prepared?

Most people’s lifeline now, will technology hold up?

What if it got a virus? Imagine if it was controlled by a Chinese company...

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
I was thinking this earlier...

Internet, electricity, netflix... the next thing to crumble in our society

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
coronavirus

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.

I read they are expected to ask video game companies to help avoid online surges. So yes they are worried about the strain of network traffic.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I read they are expected to ask video game companies to help avoid online surges. So yes they are worried about the strain of network traffic.

BT reported a huge spike end of last week due to some new Call of Duty thing. In fact possibly their biggest ever peak of traffic

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

The internet itself? Highly unlikely. It was pioneered by scientists with the thinking it could be a communicator in the outcome of a nuclear fall out. It was built to survive.

But the service(s)? ISPs? Different question.

The covid 19 projections are worrrying but not devastating. It’s not like we’re going to lose two thirds of the population. Perspective needed.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Providers say it won't break, but you can be sure this will result in us investing more heavily in tech.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
If you are that worried about losing Netflix, get yourself to your local charity shop and stock up on very cheap DVDs whilst benefiting good causes.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
A couple of years ago maybe there would have been issues, but all the tech companies have been future prepping for 5G and our current technology (laptops, most phones, TVs) is nowhere near that standard. The internet will be fine.

Oddly, if you compare this to the Spanish Flu, we are so lucky that social isolation should have very little effect on our connectivity. Managed to set up my 90 year old great aunt with Skype on a tablet and she gets to see the entire family everyday going forward. Can only imagine the harshness that it would've meant 100 years ago.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A couple of years ago maybe there would have been issues, but all the tech companies have been future prepping for 5G and our current technology (laptops, most phones, TVs) is nowhere near that standard. The internet will be fine.

Oddly, if you compare this to the Spanish Flu, we are so lucky that social isolation should have very little effect on our connectivity. Managed to set up my 90 year old great aunt with Skype on a tablet and she gets to see the entire family everyday going forward. Can only imagine the harshness that it would've meant 100 years ago.

Said that to my 19 year old who is not happy that he now needs to self isolate a couple of weeks. I also prepared him for more draconian restriction. For some reason, he was not impressed.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Said that to my 19 year old who is not happy that he now needs to self isolate a couple of weeks. I also prepared him for more draconian restriction. For some reason, he was not impressed.

Presumably, you didn't get him a copy of Football Manager for christmas.

Stick him on that and he'll forget that the outside world even existed.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Presumably, you didn't get him a copy of Football Manager for christmas.

Stick him on that and he'll forget that the outside world even existed.

Unfortunately, he plays WAAAAAY too many computer games already. So that is not a new distraction I can entice him with. He is, like many kids that age, very sociable when he wants to be and although very intelligent, lacks the maturity to act more selflessly sometimes. Tunnel vision.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The internet itself? Highly unlikely. It was pioneered by scientists with the thinking it could be a communicator in the outcome of a nuclear fall out. It was built to survive.

But the service(s)? ISPs? Different question.

The covid 19 projections are worrrying but not devastating. It’s not like we’re going to lose two thirds of the population. Perspective needed.

The ISPs won't have an issue - plenty of capacity. It's the end services that might suffer - Netflix, Amazon Prime etc - if they haven't built in the extra capacity. As an example Microsoft were struggling to keep their Teams service running yesterday. The 'internet' is dispersed enough to ensure adequate service - specific company provided services are not.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I would suggest that we will be OK.

A lot of CRM and ERP systems used by business are cloud based now so they would be connected to them via their offices anyway.

It will spike and there will be extra demand but I think it will most likely be fine.

I work for an IT reseller and, despite the fact business will decline in the short term, I am expecting a massive spike when we come out of this. People will realise that their own environments and systems aren't good enough and need to invest. That is where problems will come I assume but 'the internet' should be fine

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here