Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Baseball Season 2020

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Normally a joyous time of the year, as the football season draws to a close, the weather cheers up and we can start looking forward to summer sports including Major League Baseball.

But of course this year its got the same cloud hanging over it like everything else.

And this is the year The Cardinals are / were coming to London to play a series against the Cubbies. And I have tickets, to go with my daughter. We haven't seen the Cardinals together for ten years. So looking forward to it.

The baseball season is officially postponed like our football is. But no one thinks it's likely to start anytime soon, and maybe not soon enough for the London series to go ahead in June. And maybe West Ham will still be playing at that stadium then anyway.

I know there's a lot of depressing sh1t out there right now. This is just something else that's hacked me off.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I love my cricket.
But that doesn't mean you can't love baseball.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I echo your thoughts Barry. Watching a game of baseball in a bar is about as New York as it gets - now I can't do either. Yes, sometimes the game can be more than tedious - but, damn it, I'm gonna miss it.

Welcome to the new normal.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Those with nothing to do and hours to kill could do worse than finding Ken Burns' History of Baseball series on YouTube. Utterly utterly fantastic.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just another layer of topping to add to this shit sandwich of a week.

Give it 6 months, and we'll all basically be living on the set of Mad Max. Cundalini wants his hand back.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You've gotta feel for baseball.
When it returns how with they manage to trim the season to fit into the calendar!!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Article about how it was all supposed to kick off today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/26/sports/baseball/opening-day-mlb-virus.html?referringSource=articleShare&fbclid=IwAR2cXGuQWIsqeBTs21-aqgfMON5OahepbWXp_fZ5m8ofiX0Nv2OtKx-U1wM

As one of the comments said baseball was one of the things which helped New York through the recovery after 9/11. I know a lot of people hold baseball in contempt but it really is woven into the fabric of American life. A friend of mine works for MLB and always manages to get discount tickets for some of the Yankees and Mets games. I'm gonna miss those games.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
On the plus side, the Blue Jays won't drop below .500 for a while.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Sorry but are you American. We play a proper game here - Cricket.

Who pissed on your parade Wolfie? I love Cricket and Baseball and am very sorry that neither are being played.

What constitutes a PROPER game in your arrogant eyes? If you had been born in the US, you probably wouldn't like Cricket. It is as simple as that.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Who pissed on your parade Wolfie? I love Cricket and Baseball and am very sorry that neither are being played.

What constitutes a PROPER game in your arrogant eyes? If you had been born in the US, you probably wouldn't like Cricket. It is as simple as that.
Cricket and baseball have a huge amount in common, in terms of being strategy-heavy and in the skills needed. You need patience to watch both too, as well as being perfect for enjoying a beer.

Missing both terribly.

PG (regular at Hove since 1974 and Rangers fan since working in Dallas 86-88).

Sent from my SM-A105G using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I just hope the Blue Jays can find a home!

I'm pretty sure the conversation went along the lines of:
Blue Jays: "Can we play our home games in Toronto and let US teams visit?"
Canadian government: "LOL. No."

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
I just hope the Blue Jays can find a home!

I'm pretty sure the conversation went along the lines of:
Blue Jays: "Can we play our home games in Toronto and let US teams visit?"
Canadian government: "LOL. No."

Crazy it's still not confirmed! I saw Pittsburgh as being a done deal but since then it's denied it looks like many options still on the table.

Can definitely see them just traveling to each city and being the 'home' team for home games but in the other stadium. Where would they even base themselves if that is the case though?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here